Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I realise he is on Fox and I actually quite enjoy his work but every time Dermott Brereton comments on the play, I envisage him leaning on a bar with a beer in his hand. Seems a good bloke but almost too laid back for the role at times.

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
I've said before that the station bosses don't care too much about what rusted-on footy fans like, because they know we'll keep watching no matter what. As a result, they just employ people they like, and those who they reckon might appeal to fringe/new viewers
yep, it's a monopoly and even with foxtel you still get the 7 feed so there's no way of showing that people would prefer something (slightly) different

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
As I recall, he retired because the travel was getting too much for him being based in Perth. Seeing as 7 can't be bothered sending any commentators to Perth, maybe he could just do the West Coast-Freo home games and give us all a bit of relief.
Dennis does the perth games for Triple M. Mute the TV and chuck on the radio. It's a blessing not a curse.

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I watch mainly on mute these days and it makes you realise how little stats CH7 display on the screen. I feel like back in the day they would always show a player's stats when they were shooting for goal or at stoppages.

Someone else itt said it, but they don't care that nobody likes their commentators, they know we'll watch anyway.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I feel like back in the day they would always show a player's stats when they were shooting for goal or at stoppages.
Yep, they definitely did, and not just when someone was having a shot. If a player took their time having a kick after a mark or free kick, their name and stats would often pop onto the screen. I dunno why they stopped. I used to watch a lot of footy at pubs or restaurants, where I couldn't hear the commentary. There are heaps of players I don't know by sight, so it woulda been handy if their names were shown on the telly

Yep, they definitely did, and not just when someone was having a shot. If a player took their time having a kick after a mark or free kick, their name and stats would often pop onto the screen. I dunno why they stopped. I used to watch a lot of footy at pubs or restaurants, where I couldn't hear the commentary. There are heaps of players I don't know by sight, so it woulda been handy if their names were shown on the telly

‘even just a graphic for goals/behinds kicked by your forwards seems to have fallen by the wayside. It’s all about a player’s champion data/SuperCoach rankings now.

Back