Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

I realise he is on Fox and I actually quite enjoy his work but every time Dermott Brereton comments on the play, I envisage him leaning on a bar with a beer in his hand. Seems a good bloke but almost too laid back for the role at times.

I've said before that the station bosses don't care too much about what rusted-on footy fans like, because they know we'll keep watching no matter what. As a result, they just employ people they like, and those who they reckon might appeal to fringe/new viewers
yep, it's a monopoly and even with foxtel you still get the 7 feed so there's no way of showing that people would prefer something (slightly) different

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I recall, he retired because the travel was getting too much for him being based in Perth. Seeing as 7 can't be bothered sending any commentators to Perth, maybe he could just do the West Coast-Freo home games and give us all a bit of relief.
Dennis does the perth games for Triple M. Mute the TV and chuck on the radio. It's a blessing not a curse.

I watch mainly on mute these days and it makes you realise how little stats CH7 display on the screen. I feel like back in the day they would always show a player's stats when they were shooting for goal or at stoppages.

Someone else itt said it, but they don't care that nobody likes their commentators, they know we'll watch anyway.

I feel like back in the day they would always show a player's stats when they were shooting for goal or at stoppages.
Yep, they definitely did, and not just when someone was having a shot. If a player took their time having a kick after a mark or free kick, their name and stats would often pop onto the screen. I dunno why they stopped. I used to watch a lot of footy at pubs or restaurants, where I couldn't hear the commentary. There are heaps of players I don't know by sight, so it woulda been handy if their names were shown on the telly

Yep, they definitely did, and not just when someone was having a shot. If a player took their time having a kick after a mark or free kick, their name and stats would often pop onto the screen. I dunno why they stopped. I used to watch a lot of footy at pubs or restaurants, where I couldn't hear the commentary. There are heaps of players I don't know by sight, so it woulda been handy if their names were shown on the telly

‘even just a graphic for goals/behinds kicked by your forwards seems to have fallen by the wayside. It’s all about a player’s champion data/SuperCoach rankings now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back