Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do supporters in other countries lament their sports commentary as much as we do or are overseas comms much more professional?
Over here in NZ ours are pretty bad. A couple on the cricket are ok, but the guys doing the rugby are terrible. Play by play guys just yell and scream, and former players doing comments are generally poor. Not as much blokey-jokey stuff here though, they play it a bit straighter so probably don't aggravate quite as much.

I know this is the ch7 thread, but I've never heard a worse commentator for any sport than Derwayne Russell.

Do supporters in other countries lament their sports commentary as much as we do or are overseas comms much more professional?
As an expat American I like most of the NFL guys nowadays, even the neophytes. They are professional, as you can see the progression from the small market regional callers up to the national guys.
NHL is good, but can get silly/blokey sometimes. But not bad.
I like Rugby Union. They don't dwell too long on the story or jokey stuff at stoppages.
And best of all the Champions League? guys - good minimalist calling.

AFL's worst sin is the blokey stuff, make it about the announcers, and not about analysis. They aren't pros for the most part, just ex-player personalities. The producers target audience is obviously not footy fans. Which is too bad, because they won't gain new ones by not highlighting the game itself.
IMHO I'd prefer more minimal play by play (Euro soccer style), and the expert/colour commentary to be more technical(ref Romo in NFL). If they want to talk fluff save it for the studio between quarters and halves.

IMHO I'd prefer more minimal play by play (Euro soccer style), and the expert/colour commentary to be more technical(ref Romo in NFL). If they want to talk fluff save it for the studio between quarters and halves.
Brayshaw does minimalist quite often "Maynard. Moore. Quayner..." I don't like it personally. In Aussie Rules the two ways of disposal are used in almost equal amounts, you have to describe it.

Brayshaw does minimalist quite often "Maynard. Moore. Quayner..." I don't like it personally. In Aussie Rules the two ways of disposal are used in almost equal amounts, you have to describe it.
Disagree with this. I can see whether the player kicks or handballs myself. Sometimes it's hard to pick up which player is involved though.

On the radio, yes absolutely.

The same style doesn’t work between radio and tv for me, and for the mmm guys it definitely doesn’t work being muzzled for tv. BT and JB have always been way better on the radio.

As an expat American I like most of the NFL guys nowadays, even the neophytes. They are professional, as you can see the progression from the small market regional callers up to the national guys.
NHL is good, but can get silly/blokey sometimes. But not bad.
I like Rugby Union. They don't dwell too long on the story or jokey stuff at stoppages.
And best of all the Champions League? guys - good minimalist calling.

AFL's worst sin is the blokey stuff, make it about the announcers, and not about analysis. They aren't pros for the most part, just ex-player personalities. The producers target audience is obviously not footy fans. Which is too bad, because they won't gain new ones by not highlighting the game itself.
I wish tv commentary had romo vision type thing with gps map of players/ball overlay whilst game on, camera angles always been the same.

The fapping over "this organisation" last night made me find the remote. Geelong must be the greatest team to ever win a minor premiership after a s**t-load of easy games on their own ground - play north and eagles twice - and not win a flag for 10 plus years? Probably just me that cringed.

The fapping over "this organisation" last night made me find the remote. Geelong must be the greatest team to ever win a minor premiership after a s**t-load of easy games on their own ground - play north and eagles twice - and not win a flag for 10 plus years? Probably just me that cringed.
Not just you.

I live in hope that one day the broadcaster of the football will work out that in general play the wide shot offers far more than the close up.
I've noticed the Commonwealth Games host broadcaster is doing this with a lot of the running events, providing extended close ups of the leading pack, which takes away so much perspective of where they are on the track, where the other runners are, etc. It's like broadcasters want to show off their new toys and what they can do, and don't really weigh up whether it makes the coverage better or not.

It's the same in cricket with the ball rolling along the grass or sailing through the air - close ups provide absolutely nothing and cut of so much of the overall picture, and it's the same with AFL broadcasters now zooming in on the ball for shots at goal - seeing a close up of the ball spinning through the air takes away so much perspective for distance and accuracy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've noticed the Commonwealth Games host broadcaster is doing this with a lot of the running events, providing extended close ups of the leading pack, which takes away so much perspective of where they are on the track, where the other runners are, etc. It's like broadcasters want to show off their new toys and what they can do, and don't really weigh up whether it makes the coverage better or not.

It's the same in cricket with the ball rolling along the grass or sailing through the air - close ups provide absolutely nothing and cut of so much of the overall picture, and it's the same with AFL broadcasters now zooming in on the ball for shots at goal - seeing a close up of the ball spinning through the air takes away so much perspective for distance and accuracy.
This annoys me with golf too. They zoom in really close on the ball after it's putted. Much rather see more of the green so you can gauge whether the line and pace is right.

This annoys me with golf too. They zoom in really close on the ball after it's putted. Much rather see more of the green so you can gauge whether the line and pace is right.
Admittedly, they're much easier sports to broadcast than Aussie Rules, but watching soccer, tennis and basketball is much less frustrating, as you get to see everything that's happening in play, and they save the close up shots for replays.

Absolutely no excuses with golf. Zooming in on the ball after it's been putted is ridiculous.

Admittedly, they're much easier sports to broadcast than Aussie Rules, but watching soccer, tennis and basketball is much less frustrating, as you get to see everything that's happening in play, and they save the close up shots for replays.

Absolutely no excuses with golf. Zooming in on the ball after it's been putted is ridiculous.
The difference with AFL is that there are more contests for the ball, the contests usually go for longer, and they can include more than 2 players. You have to go to a closer view to see the contest properly. Once the contest is over and a player has clean possession, then go wider to see what his options are.

There was a school of tonight (not much thinking) that socca is boring that’s why commentary is laconic.

But look at it from this perspective. In footy it seems the commentators and drumming it up or creating artificial excitement through yelling and speaking quickly. Maybe calling every single movement or touch is not required. Supporters of the way footy is commentated on state unequivocally that there’s so much happening and we need to know who did what. Sometimes they’ll say
“What about blind people”! Haha as if they care about the VisioN impaired. Faux concern. Like some who during lockdown bellowed “what about small businesses”….nek minute wander past the local green Grocer and straight into coles.

Unfortunately Channel 7 oops💩 will get the rights again with the footy with the news Channel 10/Paramount Sports ruled out of the Race with a low bid so that means stuck with Channel 💩 a tragic day for all sports fans looking for something different and followers of the NMFC and as of next year we will the 1st AFL ever not to be given a free to air game at any stage.
As this will be happening as Channel 💩 with the Collingwood and Western Bulldogs will taking the Good Friday game off the NMFC and my attitude is fine let them have it move the game to the MCG as long it raises $$$$$$$ for the kids that the most important thing.

If Amazon gets involved, might get some more viewers in the US. That’s what I’d be chasing if I was the AFL. Amazon will eventually take over Australia like the US. The yanks know how to broadcast sports from a viewing aspect.

I love Kayo, but I still feel like the tv side of things has been the same since 90s. AFL is such an awesome sport, but needs a bit of a change with the way it’s broadcast, get away from the 480p cameras in the bunker, the same angles for the past 30 years etc. Won’t advance with our standard channels imo.

Even simple stuff like choose your own commentary, imagine watching the game with your fav radio station in sync etc.

They are much more professional. Eg- See English football commentators

I’ve watched NFL, NBA, EPL and they always sound much more professional than our guys. No giving players stupid nicknames or inventing words for existing things like the Chisler

Remove this Banner Ad

Back