Summer Ch7 wins Olympic rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Bahaha he did the swimming in week 1 of Athens and Beijing and then athletics for week 2. At London because 7 lost the rights the IOC's Olympic Broadcasting Service employed him to call the swimming for small countries like Naru, Suriname, Malawi etc who dont send a broadcast team but take the OBS's feed. But they took the pommy guys who do the English language IAAF feed for World championships and Diamond League meetings.
I remember in 2012 it was Dennis who the Tom Hawkins game for Seven- Adam White did that game for ABC Local Radio since Whatltey was in London too

Bahaha he did the swimming in week 1 of Athens and Beijing and then athletics for week 2. At London because 7 lost the rights the IOC's Olympic Broadcasting Service employed him to call the swimming for small countries like Naru, Suriname, Malawi etc who dont send a broadcast team but take the OBS's feed. But they took the pommy guys who do the English language IAAF feed for World championships and Diamond League meetings.
He doesn't get excited or anything like the footy and athletics, I don't think he even cares for the sport whatsoever.. The way he called the women's relay which was massive where they upset USA for the gold medal I thought it was just a heat swim until the last bloody lap.

Compare that to the footy which he ruins with OTT bullshit.. Only thing I've never not minded him doing too much is athletics.

He doesn't get excited or anything like the footy and athletics, I don't think he even cares for the sport whatsoever.. The way he called the women's relay which was massive where they upset USA for the gold medal I thought it was just a heat swim until the last bloody lap.

Compare that to the footy which he ruins with OTT bullshit.. Only thing I've never not minded him doing too much is athletics.
I did a search and looked up an old post when I was trying to find the right name for the OBS and in it I said he was excited in 2004 - Thorpe, Hackett, Jodie Henry the relays but was very detached 4 years later in Beijing. I think the same happened in London in his call of races for the OBS.

But they are heats which usually start at 10am local time except when Yanks - NBC forced a change in Beijing for US prime time slots. Rio is only 1hr ahead of NY time.

10am Rio time = 9pm Melbourne time. So go to 72 and 7mate and Live apps/streaming for that. in 10 months time another decent chunk of people would have moved to watching sport live on mobile devices.
id say they would use the digital channels when footy conflicts- the news won't be a big factor but in 18 it along with the footy could be on the gold coast?

here are the AFL matches that would affect the Olympics on 7:
Richmond v Collingwood at MCG (7.50pm)
Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide at SCG (1.45pm)
Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium (7.25pm)
Western Bulldogs v Collingwood at Etihad Stadium (7.50pm)
Brisbane Lions v Carlton at Gabba (1.45pm)
St Kilda v Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium (7.25pm)
West Coast Eagles v Hawthorn at Subiaco Oval (8.10pm)
North Melbourne v Sydney Swans at Blundstone Arena (1.45pm)
Collingwood v Gold Coast Suns at Etihad Stadium (7.25pm)

here are the AFL matches that would affect the Olympics on 7:
Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide at SCG (1.45pm)
Brisbane Lions v Carlton at Gabba (1.45pm)
North Melbourne v Sydney Swans at Blundstone Arena (1.45pm)

As I previously posted 1.45pm EST in August - they are on daylight saving we arent - that its 2.45am in Rio

As I previously posted 1.45pm EST in August - they are on daylight saving we arent - that its 2.45am in Rio

They aren't as its also Winter for Rio, but only a few events would clashes with the day AFL matches. Rio will have the Swimming Finals at 11pm-1am local time (heats from 1pm) and some Beach Volleyball matches starting after midnight. All major Athletics event start before midnight local time. Night AFL matches won't be a problem.

Expect the digital channels to be used in for the game 7 have to carry into local markets. NSW/QLD might see matches dropped completely except for Swans/Giants in NSW and Suns/Lions matches in QLD

Last edited:
what might help Seven is that hey show the 1.45pm game on a 90 minute delay-so the Olympics wont be impacted as much although they might have to bump the Olympics in SA or NSW or QLD

I was thinking Dennis, BT and Darcy would do most the calling of the AFL matches during the Olympics, but they could use Mark Soderstrom, John Casey(SANFL) or even Jason Bennett(VFL) or even Mark Readings(WAFL) another option would be Triple M radio caller Brenton Yates(has he ever done TV?)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Channel 7 have unveiled their coverage and commentary team for the 2016 Olympic Games. Seven will air 22 hours of coverage per day (across Seven, 7two & 7mate), plus live streaming on a 7Olympics App.

Bruce McAvaney, Tamsyn Lewis, Steve Hooker, Dave Culbert and Pat Welsh will call the Athletic Events from the Maracana Stadium.

Basil Zempilas, Giaan Rooney and Nathan Templeton will call all the Swimming Action.

Phil Liggett, Scott McGory and Kate Bates will call the Track and Road Cycling Events.

Brenton Speed and Drew Ginn will call the rowing.

John Casey, Andrew Gaze and Lauren Jackson will call the Men's and Women's Basketball Matches.

David Christison and Rechelle Hawkes will call the Hockey.

Michael McCann and Loudy Wiggins will call the Diving.

Martin Gostelow and Vicki Roycroft will call the Equestrian Events.

Bill Woods and Debbie Watson will call the Water Polo.

Other commentators include Russell Mark, Geoff Masters, Mark Braybrook, Ryan Phelan and Mark Readings.

Hamish McLachlan, Mel McLaughlin, Jim Wilson, Kylie Gillies and Todd Woodbridge will be the main studio anchors for the coverage.

Full article: http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/04/seven-announces-rio-olympics-presentation-team.html

Hamish McLachlan, Mel McLaughlin, Jim Wilson, Kylie Gillies and Todd Woodbridge will be the main studio anchors for the coverage.

Woodbridge? R U F'n' KIDDING ME?

Like how they're getting in expert commentators for the sports. Not a fan of no Donegan and Basil doing the swimming though.
Donegan did a great job at the athletics in London. I thought I would miss Bruce seeing he has done the athletics at every Olympics between 1984 and 2008 but I didn't miss him one bit.

Really wish Bruce was going to rio. To give us a much needed break from the wingnut.

WTF does Kylie Gillies bring to the telecast here other than tokenism?

News readers and ex-news readers-cum-TV-presenters are suitable for the main studio anchor role.

Because they would be no good for anything else.

News readers and ex-news readers-cum-TV-presenters are suitable for the main studio anchor role.

Because they would be no good for anything else.

She's been doing poolside interviews with families and coaches and stuff and probably gushing over men in speedo's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back