Recommitted Chad Wingard [re-signed for 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

hawkinoz

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Doesn't look like Wingard will get a contract extension at hawks.

Is there any other club that will interested in taking him on. I guess the ones in Flag window are more likely if they want a creative small fwd in best 22 or as depth.

Once he gets his body right, we could see more of this. Will be 30 soon.

Haven’t seen enough of him over the past couple of years. Does he apply defensive pressure or is he solely a scoring option?

Haven’t seen enough of him over the past couple of years. Does he apply defensive pressure or is he solely a scoring option?
That was never a strength of his game even in his prime.
He has lost everything that made him good.

I'd have him back at Port for the romance of it but I don't see him applying the sort of pressure that our gamestyle requires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been one of the worst trades in the modern era

Hasn’t earned another contract for us but if there’s no offers, which would be expected, he gets a 1-year extension and will finish his career at Box Hill.

Best case we get a pick in the 40-50 range. Take it and move on.
Duursma has been average for port, but Burton is clear best 22 player. Has been critical in a couple of our victories.

I would still take back Chad though, was one of my favourites

What's he like on the training track and with his preparation? Are his soft tissue injuries as a result of his lack of conditioning? Phenomenal player when he's going, but his best was 8 or so years ago. It's a shame how he's never been able to reach those heights again.

Been one of the worst trades in the modern era

Hasn’t earned another contract for us but if there’s no offers, which would be expected, he gets a 1-year extension and will finish his career at Box Hill.

Best case we get a pick in the 40-50 range. Take it and move on.
After his last season with Port I will never really understand why Hawks paid what they did for him. You could almost predict his career path after that season. Trade was and still is terrible no matter what way you view it.

The nonsense top 4 finish in 2018 hurt us badly.
If we had we continued the slide from
2017 and assuming we had any governance rather than just do clarkos bidding there’s no way that trade goes through. I like chad he was super talented but it’s past him now and he and the club should part ways soon. How you can give up what we did and now we couldn’t find a trade is a good measure of the quality of the decision to trade. So who gets held accountable?

If Chad wants to return to port and Georgiades decides he wants out and picks Hawthorn, I could see Chad being the steak knives in a deal.
I'm glad you said steak knives. I got half way through that comment and feared the worst given how this board has gone lately.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm glad you said steak knives. I got half way through that comment and feared the worst given how this board has gone lately.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I had to listen to the last 2 years people telling me Tom Mitchell was only a 4th rounder, now everyone is praising how good he is going like its a surprise. This board can be mind numbing.

Chad was my favourite opposition player when playing for your mob, so if he wants to finish his career and is welcomed back could be a good fit with our interest in Georgiades.

Trade never should have happened in the first place. At the time I believed only Clarko and the most positive of supporters could have foreseen it being a positive move to trade for Chad. The outcome has been as poor as I expected.

I feel bad for Wingard. I reckon he sold a lie about where our list was at. Although considering what we gave up for him I'd say Clarkson genuinely believed he was improving it.

I'm not even sure a club would want to trade for him at this point. Happy to let him go as a DFA if it means he gets another crack elsewhere.

Calves are cooked. For a player that relies on explosive movements and agility it's the death knell.

Loved Chad as a player. I think if he doesn't get a deal elsewhere we will keep him on as experience (if he's happy to see his career out at Box Hill).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back