News Chad Wingard traded to Hawthorn for ... dammit who is peeling onions?

Will Chad stay or go?

• He will stay farken!

Votes: 43 21.4%
  • He will go farken!

Votes: 112 55.7%
  • He will stay, he will go, he will stay and go farken!

Votes: 46 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Robbie Gray wasnt the professional he is now at Wingards age, it took recovering a horrific ACL injury to develop it.

Wingard didn’t go from Best and Fairest Winner and 2 time AA to unprofessional over night, the coaches have watched it all happen and have done little to nothing about it, just trade him off.

We want to hope Burton becomes a superstar, as too the player we take with 15, becouse if they don’t and wingard comes out at the Hawks with a point to prove we’ll come out of this really poorly.
Wingard didn’t go from Best and Fairest Winner and 2 time AA to unprofessional over night, the coaches have watched it all happen and have done little to nothing about it, just trade him off.
You lost me right here !! Which player lets himself deteriorate like that ? Very unprofessional & does he really needs someone to hold is hand to football ? We gave him everything a player ever wanted or needed. In the end Wingard was his own worst enemy.

Millennials are always assigning blame to someone else. “It’s your fault I’m not motivated enough! I wasn’t given enough incentive to succeed! I wasn’t given enough feedback and the time to act on it!”

How about winning a ******* flag? That should be enough ******* incentive to succeed. If it’s not, get the * out of the club because we don’t want you.

Millennials are always assigning blame to someone else. “It’s your fault I’m not motivated enough! I wasn’t given enough incentive to succeed! I wasn’t given enough feedback and the time to act on it!”

How about winning a ******* flag? That should be enough ******* incentive to succeed. If it’s not, get the **** out of the club because we don’t want you.
You do realise millenials have won every flag since at least 2000.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

How about winning a ******* flag? That should be enough ******* incentive to succeed. If it’s not, get the **** out of the club because we don’t want you.

Lol aren’t you a Millennial? Granted I’ve pegged your age based on the movies you quote so I could be wrong.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You lost me right here !! Which player lets himself deteriorate like that ? Very unprofessional & does he really needs someone to hold is hand to football ? We gave him everything a player ever wanted or needed. In the end Wingard was his own worst enemy.

Then he should have been dropped, he should have been made to earn his spot back, made to put in extra hours on the training track. If Wingard turned up to preseason unfit, didn’t put in during preseason and started if up foward becouse of a lack of conditioning he should have stared in the Magpies and told he’d be selected when both his onfeild results and training and professional standards warranted selection .

The club is every bit as responsible for getting the best out of their players as the players are for getting the best out of themselves.

Everything thing Wingard is being accused of; talented by hates training, that is exactly what Hinkley was as a footballer never to be seen in the gym and unsighted on the training track, maybe his stances have been rubbing off?

Feb 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Jamaica Bob Sled FC

If you combined Kane Cornes work ethic with Chads natural ability & flair, he wins a Brownlow.

You do realise millenials have won every flag since at least 2000.

Those clubs were filled with players who were self motivated to become the best players they could be.

I’m talking about traits rather than a set age range. Most noteably narcissism. From Wikipedia: “...millennials exhibited 16% more narcissism than older adults, with males scoring higher on average than females. The study examined two types of narcissism: grandiose narcissism, described as "the narcissism of extraverts, characterized by attention-seeking behavior, power and dominance", and vulnerable narcissism, described as "the narcissism of introverts, characterized by an acute sense of self-entitlement and defensiveness."

Does the bold sound like Chad Wingard?

Those clubs were filled with players who were self motivated to become the best players they could be.

I’m talking about traits rather than a set age range. Most noteably narcissism. From Wikipedia: “...millennials exhibited 16% more narcissism than older adults, with males scoring higher on average than females. The study examined two types of narcissism: grandiose narcissism, described as "the narcissism of extraverts, characterized by attention-seeking behavior, power and dominance", and vulnerable narcissism, described as "the narcissism of introverts, characterized by an acute sense of self-entitlement and defensiveness."

Does the bold sound like Chad Wingard?
They are still millenials, it just shows the broad brush is daft.
Millenials are basically anyone born between 1981 and 1996. Which is nearly every footballer for the past 20 years.

Power freak 2008

Premiers 2004, 2020 Covid Premiers
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys/New York Yankees
Robbie Gray wasnt the professional he is now at Wingards age, it took recovering a horrific ACL injury to develop it.

We want to hope Burton becomes a superstar, as too the player we take with 15, becouse if they don’t and wingard comes out at the Hawks with a point to prove we’ll come out of this really poorly.
We couldn't have kept on going the way we were. I'd rather have all this happen then have no change to the team. Let's look at the changes.
Rockliff hopefully will get a full preseason. One of the kids from last year needs to step up. I am thinking Kane Farell who has speed but most importantly can kick. Our young Ruckmen won't be asked to come along too quickly with the addition of Lycett. Fingers crossed that we either get Rankine or Rozee with our first pick. If this team doesn't do something quick I doubt we would have made the finals. If Wingard was complacent when we were in contention for making the 8 he has got some motivation issues.

I am glad we can draw a line in the sand. Players aren't bigger than the club.

They are still millenials, it just shows the broad brush is daft.
Millenials are basically anyone born between 1981 and 1996. Which is nearly every footballer for the past 20 years.

I just explained that I’m talking about displayed quality traits. Definining a generation based on something arbitrary as when they were born is dumb, because there would be people born in that period who would have a completely different outlook on life. To me, a millennial is someone who is entitled for no reason whatsoever and believes success is something that is assured rather than worked for.

LeBron James - not a millennial.

Chad Wingard - definitely a millennial.

Lol aren’t you a Millennial? Granted I’ve pegged your age based on the movies you quote so I could be wrong.

I thought he was from the Zhou Dynasty?

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We couldn't have kept on going the way we were. I'd rather have all this happen then have no change to the team. Let's look at the changes.
Rockliff hopefully will get a full preseason. One of the kids from last year needs to step up. I am thinking Kane Farell who has speed but most importantly can kick. Our young Ruckmen won't be asked to come along too quickly with the addition of Lycett. Fingers crossed that we either get Rankine or Rozee with our first pick. If this team doesn't do something quick I doubt we would have made the finals. If Wingard was complacent when we were in contention for making the 8 he has got some motivation issues.

I am glad we can draw a line in the sand. Players aren't bigger than the club.

Like the look of Farrel, looked really exciting at the end of the year, his first goal against the dogs and almost 60M goal were awnazing considering the conditions.

As too his 3 goal quarter in the showdown, looked a bit special.

With a second preseason should be primed for a big year. Elite pace and disposal, exactly what we need.

Hopefully get Rankine, can play from round 1 and add pace and X-factor to our foward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
If you combined Kane Cornes work ethic with Chads natural ability & flair, he wins a Brownlow.

Let's not kid ourselves in to thinking Kane Cornes was an untalented spud that got every inch out of himself. He's from a football star family, was picked up ASAP, and spent a large amount of his career following other dudes around. Kane Corners could have been Sam Mitchell if he wanted to.

I think Kane was a star and the best tagger ever seen, but if he pushed himself in ways other than running a marathons, he could have been more. A real playmaker.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Let's not kid ourselves in to thinking Kane Cornes was an untalented spud that got every inch out of himself. He's from a football star family, we picked up ASAP, and spent a large amount of his career following other dudes around. Kane Corners could have been Sam Mitchell if he wanted to.
Nah

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I find it very hard to believe that Chad wasn't given constant feedback throughout the year and even if he hadn't this is not under 12's, surely he must've known earlier in the season that he wasn't playing too well. And does he need to be constantly reminded to be professional in an elite sport. Sounds to me like he is the one coming up with excuses and not the club.

This thread just doesn't make any sense to me, I'm completely disillusioned by our supporter base right now. Anyone with an alternative view is shot down in flames, particular those that are prepared to back their club's decisions or are critical of a former player. But feel free to rubbish the s**t out of any existing player, particular leadership group members and lets not even start on the coaching panel.

I'm as angry as anyone with our mediocre performances but i'm willing to give the club a chance to have a crack next year and see if the decisions made this off season are actually as catastrophic as they are being made out to be.

I just explained that I’m talking about displayed quality traits. Definining a generation based on something arbitrary as when they were born is dumb, because there would be people born in that period who would have a completely different outlook on life. To me, a millennial is someone who is entitled for no reason whatsoever and believes success is something that is assured rather than worked for.

LeBron James - not a millennial.

Chad Wingard - definitely a millennial.
So not really millennials then, just different personality types. As have existed since time immemorial.

Depends on your definition. If you’re going by age, I’m right on the edge. Some would say millennial, some would say generation X.

If you’re going by how I view generations, based on mental progression and the collective consciousness...I’d rather listen to a lecture on the Hermetic Corpus than play Fortnite. Though I do play games :)

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I find it very hard to believe that Chad wasn't given constant feedback throughout the year and even if he hadn't this is not under 12's, surely he must've known earlier in the season that he wasn't playing too well. And does he need to be constantly reminded to be professional in an elite sport. Sounds to me like he is the one coming up with excuses and not the club.

This thread just doesn't make any sense to me, I'm completely disillusioned by our supporter base right now. Anyone with an alternative view is shot down in flames, particular those that are prepared to back their club's decisions or are critical of a former player. But feel free to rubbish the s**t out of any existing player, particular leadership group members and lets not even start on the coaching panel.

I'm as angry as anyone with our mediocre performances but i'm willing to give the club a chance to have a crack next year and see if the decisions made this off season are actually as catastrophic as they are being made out to be.

The only difference between you and me is 2 years of patience really. I held the same opinion after 2016 and now we're 2 years down the track with no improvement, still making list management errors and with no winning gameplan on the horizon.

Yes the Jacko I once admired has become a thorn in Port’s side.

He was one of the ‘brothers’ at Port for sure, always at their dinners and hanging out with them.

These movements will be the norm going forwards. It’s what the AFLPA wanted.

Problem is that until the clubs get some power back themselves to trade players out for the best deal for the club, the less successful and poorer clubs will become even more so, while the Mega clubs will become even more successful.

SA is in a similar situation to the Queensland teams, apart from the sweet
Seven media gigs Crows are able to supplement their player contracts with.

Perth being a bigger city can offer players more opportunities outside footy.

Vic clubs can pay less with players able to access media and side deals to sweeten the deal.

Anyway, this increase in movement when players are still in contract must make the list planning clubs do years ahead even more difficult.

I think this is jumping the gun. We've had no problem with player retention to this point. In the Hinkley era, the only players we have lost who we have wanted to keep are Impey (who left for personal reasons) and Polec. I still believe that if you create a club environment that people want to be a part of, you won't have too many problems with player retention.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Depends on your definition. If you’re going by age, I’m right on the edge. Some would say millennial, some would say generation X.

If you’re going by how I view generations, based on mental progression and the collective consciousness...I’d rather listen to a lecture on the Hermetic Corpus than play Fortnite. Though I do play games :)

That’s just stereotyping though. You’re still Gen X/Xennial/Millenial by virtue of when you were born. You don’t have to be a caricature of it to be apart of it.

That’s just stereotyping though. You’re still Gen X/Xennial/Millenial by virtue of when you were born. You don’t have to be a caricature of it to be apart of it.

That’s why I said Wingard is a millennial, because he displays the stereotypical traits associated with what people would view them as having.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think this is jumping the gun. We've had no problem with player retention to this point. In the Hinkley era, the only players we have lost who we have wanted to keep are Impey (who left for personal reasons) and Polec. I still believe that if you create a club environment that people want to be a part of, you won't have too many problems with player retention.
That could be our problem right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back