Traded Chad Wingard [traded with future 3rd to Hawthorn for Burton, #15, #35 and future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

In an interesting "coincidence", Fox has decided to run with the story "Wingard sizzles in stunning Hawks debut win".

This is how the Vic media works.

You mean they pinch all their lines, ideas & head-lines off social internet punters?.....Well, I Never!

A bona-fide mongrel in attack to match our bona-fide Sicily mongrel in defence....And with the Worpedo looking to become our mongrel in the middle, then that's 3 essential pieces of the next premiership puzzle already in place....hehehe.
I'd say still a few pieces behind teams like the Lions though! They look great.

You mean they pinch all their lines, ideas & head-lines off social internet punters?.....Well, I Never!
Not what I meant but I see how you thought that.

I meant the media hype that we knew was going to come as soon as this trade went through.
The Cyril comparisons. The front page news. The game breaker.
All the way down to the "Wingard had just 10 disposals but showcased why he is one of the most dangerous forwards in the league …". I saw a player who bobbed up for a couple of important goals in the last quarter but was fairly average apart from that. Played better than that in most games last year when he was derided for a lack of interest.

I look forward to a good year up forward from Chad this year but he left because his standards to play in the midfield weren't up to scratch despite his obvious talent, we'll see if Clarko wanted to spend that salary cap on a forward pocket or not.

Not what I meant but I see how you thought that.

I meant the media hype that we knew was going to come as soon as this trade went through.
The Cyril comparisons. The front page news. The game breaker.
All the way down to the "Wingard had just 10 disposals but showcased why he is one of the most dangerous forwards in the league …". I saw a player who bobbed up for a couple of important goals in the last quarter but was fairly average apart from that. Played better than that in most games last year when he was derided for a lack of interest.

I look forward to a good year up forward from Chad this year but he left because his standards to play in the midfield weren't up to scratch despite his obvious talent, we'll see if Clarko wanted to spend that salary cap on a forward pocket or not.

Much like Sizzle, The Chad does his best work near to goal methinks.

I'd say still a few pieces behind teams like the Lions though! They look great.

True....Fagan has done a great job in recruiting all those quick smalls over the past 2 years.....He's injected pace & more pace....Mind you, with old Hodgey in the side, he had to.;)

Much like Sizzle, The Chad does his best work near to goal methinks.

Agree wholeheartedly. But he asked for a lot of $$$$ for a forward pocket though. He had a great patch mid last year for 6-8 games in the midfield but his drop off in form coincided with the teams for the last 2 months. Clearly mentally he was out the door and he's in a new place now which hopefully will reinvigorate his form.

True....Fagan has done a great job in recruiting all those quick smalls over the past 2 years.....He's injected pace & more pace....Mind you, with old Hodgey in the side, he had to.;)
Wingard is not a quick small. Highly skilled and quick of mind? Yes. Quick as in pace ... no.

Wingard is not a quick small. Highly skilled and quick of mind? Yes. Quick as in pace ... no.

He's an instinctive footballer, capable of the sublime....I believe that's what people mean when they say he has X-factor.....Both he & Sizzle possess that element of magic to their games.

The Chads ability to get ball to boot, is quicker than most.....His reflexes & spatial awareness are extraordinary.

No offense to Rioli but if wingards best footy is Riolis best then I think that’s disappointing. His best is a level above that

If The Chad can do better than what Sizzle did to West Coast - in the first half of the 2015 Grand Final - Then bring it on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One was bloody brilliant.
One required skill but nothing too hard.
One was a set shot on his preferred side.

The one from just inside 50 on an angle wasn't flashy in terms of the kick, but his vertical leap to pull down the mark with 4 North players looking at him dumbfounded was fun to watch.

If you only saw the highlights you probably also missed his goal of the year attempt from the boundary that ended up hitting the post. Looked like it was going through most of the way from the spot I was sitting.

Remember, there is no way he's fully fit yet, and is severely lacking in match practice.

I feel bad we left Shiel hanging, leaving him the unenviable choice between Essendon, Saints and Carlton, but you got a glimpse today why the club did what they did.

Agree wholeheartedly. But he asked for a lot of $$$$ for a forward pocket though. He had a great patch mid last year for 6-8 games in the midfield but his drop off in form coincided with the teams for the last 2 months. Clearly mentally he was out the door and he's in a new place now which hopefully will reinvigorate his form.
He's on 600k a year if Port wasn't willing to fork out that for him theyre bat s**t crazy, he had no drop off in the last 2 months he averaged 24 touches, 4 clearances, 1.3 goals but if it helps you sleep.

He's on 600k a year if Port wasn't willing to fork out that for him theyre bat s**t crazy, he had no drop off in the last 2 months he averaged 24 touches, 4 clearances, 1.3 goals but if it helps you sleep.
We wouldn’t let a 2 time all Australian go for nothing, clearly had attitude problems.

As said above, burton, Duursma, Mayes and a pick that helped get Rozee for Wingard, all day everyday

Seriously chill out. Chad Wingard wanted to go, good luck to him he got what he wanted. I don't feel anything bad towards him or Hawthorn for wanting out.

Wingard did not have a good year last year based on what he thought he was worth. You clearly didn't see much of him last year if you think he did. He tested the market, got what he wanted, and left. Id back Clarko to get the best out of him if any one could. Will be interesting to see for sure.

This has the potential to be one of the best win-win trades in afl history, both supporter bases would be pretty happy right now. Port drafted well and Wingard's brilliance has already sparked us to a win when we were battling

When GC agreed to let Scrimshaw go for a 4th rdr letting Burton go was a no brainer for the club .... that’s fact . Every ones a winner and I’m not sure why supporters need to feel like they are “ winners “ in a trade , unless of course trade success is all you have to hang your hat on .

You cant really determine the value of all these trades or players Wingard, Burton, Shiel, and then picks, etc.
It's only been a handful of games between them all if any.

Whether a team got good or average value hasn't revealed itself yet. I dont think the recruiters targeted these players for a return to be judged in round 3.

When GC agreed to let Scrimshaw go for a 4th rdr letting Burton go was a no brainer for the club .... that’s fact . Every ones a winner and I’m not sure why supporters need to feel like they are “ winners “ in a trade , unless of course trade success is all you have to hang your hat on .
Yep. Players got where they wanted to go and the clubs that got them are very happy to have them. This one seems like a win-win trade, early days.

Wingard is a dead set gun always has been always will be can see him turning the g into his play ground. All the best to him obviously something went wrong at port probably be a win win considering what we got in return .

I was really sad when we traded out Wingard and felt we were shortchanged. I think that’s a fair call, because with the same picks we had in the draft we could’ve picked BKing, Hately and Collier-Dawkins and no disrespect to those guys, but Rozee and Butters are right now amongst the top 5 first year players and Duursma is doing good as well (I know it’s only 3 games). All I can say is thank goodness we have the current guys in charge of list management. Because even in past years we’ve secured SPP, Marshall, etc. I’m the draft
Hawks are actually very fair traders and pay to get their man.
Can’t tell if you’re being serious or not

Remove this Banner Ad

Back