News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

is being scientifically correct really worth arguing instead of just calling someone something so to make them feel comfortable?

like why doesn’t it matter what someone wants to be called?
Do my beliefs have equal value to the homophobic church chairman be

"I don't agree with his opinions, but aren't people still allowed to have them?"

Okay... let me ask again.

If he was the president of a group that spread anti-aboriginal Australian messages would you be okay with him becoming the CEO of Essendon? Yes or no?
Saying you don't approve of a particular sexual orientation does not mean that the people who engage in it are hated.

You can strongly disagree with a dear friend over any number of values/beliefs or attitudes and still liove your friend.

Just listening to him on SEN before I knew about his church on the hill involvement I thought who the hell appointed this guy. After hearing about the church stuff that just capped it off.
Their president sounds like an idiot, surely whoever hired this guy must resign now as well?
What a rabble.

Saying you don't approve of a particular sexual orientation does not mean that the people who engage in it are hated.

You can strongly disagree with a dear friend over any number of values/beliefs or attitudes and still liove your friend.
They’re not analogous at all. Would you disagree with a friend over their skin colour? What about their height? They have as much choice there as they do their sexual orientation.

Please don’t regurgitate the BS this man wrote. He’s on the same level as Margaret Court. But she isn’t trying to be a CEO of a club that presents itself as inclusive and trying to attract a broad cross-section of the community.

Essendon would welcome him and any other Christians as members (as long as they don’t vilify others for their sexuality on social media). They just don’t want him as CEO.

What a joke.

And what’s going to be so tedious for the next few months is all the bleating about cancel culture, silencing of views, destruction of society BS we’ll all be subjected to in our right-wing media.
And the right wing media would be correct. If the AFL sacked a CEO because he was gay do you think the left wing media would not bleat about it?

Just listening to him on SEN before I knew about his church on the hill involvement I thought who the hell appointed this guy. After hearing about the church stuff that just capped it off.
Their president sounds like an idiot, surely whoever hired this guy must resign now as well?
What a rabble.
You sound like the very thing you claim to be offended by. That horrific 'church stuff" is so disgusting!

Exactly why did he sound like an idiot?

no it’s about a guy losing a job because of his religious beliefs.
He chose to resign because his other job was incompatible.

He couldn't come out and say he rejected the hate.

Which ever way you look it - appointing him, or asking him to resign - they've made the mess. Not sure why anyone should be applauding essendon

Not applauding at all. In the end, it was the right decision tho.

Yeah I don't buy the line

' I don't agree with every one of the churches views'

If not, if you're truly against this churches view about pro life and anti ssm (or relationships even) then why would you be on the 'board' of such a church? You'd also choose the club over the church wouldn't you, if you truly disagree with those views

Clearly a conflict of interest and Essendon didn't do their homework.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’re not analogous at all. Would you disagree with a friend over their skin colour? What about their height? They have as much choice there as they do their sexual orientation.

Yes, but they aren’t making typical moral decision are they?

This is indoctrinated in thousands of years of their religions teachings. It’s not a yes or no decision.

I don’t believe in killing and eating turtles and dugongs either, but am accepting of it as part of the First Nations peoples cultural beliefs.

...and what was the post in question?
A quote from the bible Izzy Folau posted.

He was ridiculed because the woke brigade signalled out one line from that particular bible verse. I mean I'm not sure why any of them were even insulted considering they don't believe in 'Hell'....

Last edited:
I’m gonna look up “obfuscated” and get back to you.

In the meantime, I’ve also had dozens of people agree with me. Well, not me, the facts. But we’ll ignore that.

Anyway, I thought you were done with me. Don’t you have a protest to get to?

I just wanted to acknowledge the troll job.

And no you haven't, cos you haven't presented any facts yet.

I'm cheering for you to find one though!

Also, someone as apparently smart as you claim to be shouldn't need to google simple vocab.

Let’s be honest, the church has been falling behind the times for decades and decades. It’s largely an outdated institution that has little place in a maturing, progressive western society.

This is just further proof of that. Religion, the institution of the church and those who follow it closely are simply being left behind.

The only constant is change.

Funny you should say that, because the things currently being thrown at the church regarding sexual beliefs are pretty much exactly the same as what the Romans were saying about them 2000 years ago.

There is nothing new under the sun.

He doesn’t disapprove. His church teaches that homosexuality and abortion are sins. He has no choice but to accept this as his faith.

The fact that he then lied about this is the point. He cannot possibly on the one hand say he is a devout follower of his church and then say on the other that he accepts the LGBTQ community and those who had abortions in his heart. His faith dictates that they are mutually exclusive.

He is so dishonest and blinded by his faith it’s remarkable. I don’t doubt he genuinely thinks he’s a good person but this is what blind faith does. The hypocrisy is staggering and I have no time for it. Especially those with his background of corruption. Who the hell does he think he is to lecture anyone on morality?

Please don’t regurgitate the BS this man wrote. He’s on the same level as Margaret Court. But she isn’t trying to be a CEO of a club that presents itself as inclusive and trying to attract a broad cross-section of the community.

Essendon would welcome him and any other Christians as members (as long as they don’t vilify others for their sexuality on social media). They just don’t want him as CEO.

What a joke.

And what’s going to be so tedious for the next few months is all the bleating about cancel culture, silencing of views, destruction of society BS we’ll all be subjected to in our right-wing media.

He isn't a minister, and had not stated even a word publicly about these issues until today. He certainly hasn't 'vilified others for their sexuality'. It's pretty clear that what is really meant is that Christians shouldn't adhere to their personal convictions about anything that disagrees with the majority (?) public mood.

You think being gay is equivalent to being Christian?
There are people who have a belief that homosexuality is wrong. If such people ran a business and sacked a gay employee because he or she lived a lifestyle that didn't reflect their values, would that be an outrageous abuse of that person's rights?

Of course .

So how is sacking a man for being associated with a church who once had a pastor who spoke his views on gay marriage any less wrong?

What other areas of a person's life can we examine before deciding whether to hire or fire them when those values have no affect on the way they will do that job?

Yeah I don't buy the line

' I don't agree with every one of the churches views'

If not, if you're truly against this churches view about pro life and anti ssm (or relationships even) then why would you be on the 'board' of such a church? You'd also choose the club over the church wouldn't you, if you truly disagree with those views

Clearly a conflict of interest and Essendon didn't do their homework.

Again, some of the largest Christian organizations have the same formal position.

Salvation Army, St Vincent de Paul Society, St Johns Ambulance (Order of St John) etc

He chose to resign because his other job was incompatible.

He couldn't come out and say he rejected the hate.
Chief, you and I are both Carlton supporters, but we clearly disagree on A LOT OF STUFF.

Does that mean one of us has to stop being a Carlton supporter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back