News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm part of enough atheist groups on social media to know that progressive ideal is to have it removed.

I would just like people to be open about that, it's a fair point to have.
The churches need to modernize imo. They had Vatican 2 which modernized.
They need to accept the gay community and stay out of the abortion issue. It's antiquated nonsense.

I think it's common for people afraid of different things that potentially challenge their way of life to appeal to a higher power to have that challenge removed.

And that's intentionally supposed to apply to both sides here.
cool trick but none of that actually works. the only one suggesting banning religion here is you (and quite fanatically for some reason?) and from my understanding of those with faith, appealing to a higher power to have challenging things removed might apply to, say, relief from an illness or hardship, but weirdly I am yet to hear of anyone praying for the higher power to remove the bigotry and hate from their religious doctrine.

to me it seems more like people turn to a higher power out of fear, seeking protection or comfort from potentially challenging things, whether that's death or hardship or just people that are different to them

t I’m saying is, if he had the power to send gay people to burn in hell for all eternity, and he exercised that power, that would be hateful.
But him thinking that’s what happens is not hateful. It’s just an ignorant opinion.
If he wants it to happen or thinks it should happen then that is hateful.

Just dropped in to add my 2c, haven't read any of the thread (cbf) just heard the news on the radio.

How can so many eye brow raising things happen to one club? Hopeless move to appoint this guy as CEO. Their supporters must just cringe at the on and off field crap continuously getting in the way of trying to win a final in almost 2 decades.

Big leap forward for the AFL. 8 years ago we had a religious nutter as CEO of the AFL.

Today another version of a religious nutter is run out of Dodge because he is min 1000 years behind modern Australia.

Baby steps.

You have got to be kidding me.

Andrew Thorburn resigns as there was a campaign to boycott the club because of his perceived Christian values, its cancel culture at its finest.

What if he belonged to a mosque or synagogue who shares the same religious views?
Would this happen, or is purely toward straight white Christian men?

And really, Dan Andrews publically slamming Thorburn.. surely that has to be a joke. Would he publicly denounce any CEO in the Muslim community for having similar beliefs?

Thorburn even openly said

“There’s a diversity of people. Different races, sexual orientations, faiths & cultures, that’s society. My role as CEO is to ensure that the organisations that I lead, which I think my record stands for this, are inclusive & welcoming & diverse.”

Lots of armchair critics on this forum. Freedom of thought and liberty are now out the window. And this comes from the same people who talk of tolerance and inclusion but can’t see past their own bigotry.

Andrew Thorburn resigns as there was a campaign to boycott the club because of his perceived Christian values, its cancel culture at its finest.

What if he belonged to a mosque or synagogue who shares the same religious views?

And really, Dan Andrews publically slamming Thorburn.. surely that has to be a joke. Would he publicly denounce any CEO in the Muslim community for having similar beliefs?

“There’s a diversity of people. Different races, sexual orientations, faiths & cultures, that’s society. My role as CEO is to ensure that the organisations that I lead, which I think my record stands for this, are inclusive & welcoming & diverse.”

Lots of armchair critics on this forum. Freedom of thought and liberty are now out the window. And this comes from the same people who talk of tolerance and inclusion but can’t see past their own bigotry.
So Essendon tried to give out one of their top jobs to a mate with a shocking record who actively promotes the persecution of a large number of their staff and people power prevented that. Where's the tragedy?

People's beliefs and agendas have always had consequences in the opportunities they have in life, especially when it comes to positions of power. The only difference is the window for what is deemed acceptable by society is shifting away from people like Thorburn.

We should not tolerate the intolerant.

He did openly say all that. All proven essentially false in his parting shot he posted.

In any event he is free to think whatever the hell he wants. It's just his views do not align with those of EFC (or any reasonable person).

What’s ironic about this affair is that Thorburn would have been fully supportive of his best bud Scomo’s attempt to allow businesses to discriminate against employees because of their religious views.

Now he complains that the exact thing has happened to him, even though it hasn’t.

it’s happening!

“Cancel culture” finally mentioned. Predicted this earlier.

Yeah, one of the richest people in Australia is unable to express his views. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

People like Thorburn and ScoMo have wet dreams about cancelling those that disagree with them. Even tried legislating it but thankfully failed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lack of discussion about his time as CEO of a parasitic organisation like NAB is really telling. Stealing from the working class, creating economic inequality…who cares, apparently. This place is such a cesspool of bourgeoisie self-interest.

There's been plenty of posts about that, unfortunately some guy hijacked the thread to talk about how transgender people are mentally ill and doctors don't know what they're talking about.

Clearly out of touch, Show me where Dan Andrews "publically slammed Thorburn"

It's a very sad time. The irony of this thread being filled with people enraged by the notion a person with different values could be appointed to a position in a football club while accusing him of intolerance is just incredible.

He is guilty of wrong think . He must be expunged and branded a hateful bigot without a shred of evidence to support this allegation.

It's a very sad time. The irony of this thread being filled with people enraged by the notion a person with different values could be appointed to a position in a football club while accusing him of intolerance is just incredible.

He is guilty of wrong think . He must be expunged and branded a hateful bigot without a shred of evidence to support this allegation.
Sad? Give me a break. There’s no need to feel any sympathy for this guy.

It’s clearly untenable to both be leader of a church that espouses strong homophobic views and be the CEO of Essendon.

all the bluster from the morally outraged is ridiculous.

No one has said he is not entitled to hold his views, and he has not been silenced.

There's been plenty of posts about that, unfortunately some guy hijacked the thread to talk about how transgender people are mentally ill and doctors don't know what they're talking about.
Yeah, that guy can get in a bin. Still doesn’t change the fact that this is a bunch of middle-class hand wringing from people who would trample a homeless person for an iPhone. Not literally, of course; the middle class outsources the nasty realities of life to government and law enforcement. Can’t get your hands dirty.

Its a very sad time, back in my day we used to be able to be as homophobic and bigoted as we wanted, and no one could care less!

Now they're are actual consequences for being a discriminatory piece of crap. Sad!

Yeah, that guy can get in a bin. Still doesn’t change the fact that this is a bunch of middle-class hand wringing from people who would trample a homeless person for an iPhone. Not literally, of course; the middle class outsources the nasty realities of life to government and law enforcement. Can’t get your hands dirty.

Nice projection

He is not even guilty of this, he is just ‘guilty’ by association which is even more dangerous and preposterous. Nearly every kid drafted comes from a Christian school and these are their teachings. The Christian views on these issues are milder and more tolerant than the Muslim views but they never get the same heat for some reason?

He is not even guilty of this, he is just ‘guilty’ by association which is even more dangerous and preposterous. Nearly every kid drafted comes from a Christian school and these are their teachings. The Christian views on these issues are milder and more tolerant than the Muslim views but they never get the same heat for some reason?
Who was the last muslim CEO of an AFL club?

People complaining about him being the CEO aren’t bigots. It’s people like you having a sook because people belonging to exclusive organisations like he is with his archaic views aren’t representative of the very statements he just made.

Not sure why you brought up Muslims, I wouldn’t really advocate a conservative Muslim like Thorburn being in a senior public facing role like club CEO either.

blink-182 wtf GIF

Is every kid drafted literally the Head of that Church? That's not even remotely close to being the same thing you absolute galoot. Holy moly. How can you compare a teenage kid who was raised in a church with a rich, corrupt ex CEO who RUNS an evangelical church? What the fk

If you read the statement, he was clearly asked to make a choice between making a statement condemning the homophobic and anti abortion comments of his church, and the Essendon job. He chose to stick with the church.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back