News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

Thorburn is chairman of City on a Hill, a church that condemns homosexuality and is staunchly anti-abortion.
What the hell were Essendon thinking?
The AFL is really starting to stink.

This is a complete non issue vis a vis his approptiateness for the role-hell the banking royal comission stuff is a lot more relevant when it comes to who shouldnt be a CEO in a role where they have control over budgets and money spent but the media arent running with that. That tells you all you need to know about the lack of quality in the media.

I like to bag essendon as much as most peoplr but this is a non story.

this is a complete non issue.

As long as the club itself have all the support mechanisms in place for the LGBTQIA+ community what does it matter what the personal opinions of the CEO make?

Unless he starts dissolving what Essendon does for the community this is just political crap.

This is a complete non issue vis a vis his approptiateness for the role-hell the banking royal comission stuff is a lot more relevant when it comes to who shouldnt be a CEO in a role where they have control over budgets and money spent but the media arent running with that. That tells you all you need to know about the lack of quality in the media.

I like to bag essendon as much as most peoplr but this is a non story.
You recon?

You'd say this in front of a room full of AFLW players with a straight face?

As long as the club itself have all the support mechanisms in place for the LGBTQIA+ community what does it matter what the personal opinions of the CEO make?

Unless the starts dissolving what Essendon does for the community this is just political crap.
Strong avatar to post correlation here.

Being gay. Nothing usually offends me much with homophobia, if its directly involving me. As usually those views against being gay are so narrow minded. So its a waste of energy of even entertaining those people.

However, when someone is appointed by a club who has such backwards views and him being in that position is going to effect the gay community and young kids/adults out their dealing with this struggle of realising who they are or young women going through the traumatic experience of abortion. Then it absolute P$@#!$ me off. Cant tell me there wouldnt have been better candidates.

How anyone at that club could pass this says enough about the state of which this club is in. Feel horrible for the AFLW girls at the Essendon club especially.

My god that organisation is an absolute cluster****. Every time a modicum of sympathy threatens to will its way into my consciousness, they come to the table with some absolute bullshit like this again.

They are an irreparable basket case, long may their drought continue.

Absolutely feel for their queer and women fans and players, however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a good money spinner for him too. From their website

'Invest in the mission
God invites you to worship him in all areas of your life, even the way you spend your money. Supporting a church financially is an excellent way of doing this.

We believe giving is an act of worship and service. It enables you to do more things that serve people, spread the gospel, and advance God’s kingdom in our cities.

Giving deepens your passion for God’s mission in Australia and throughout the world. God wants you to invest in his mission '

Disappointing but not that surprising.

Ess is still a old boys club (coterie groups) with a poor culture and the worst governance of any AFL club over the last twenty years.

Our treatment of coaches, players and minority groups is poor. (Results speak for themselves)

Are we really that surprised?

Although in terms of governance appointing a homophobic disgraced bank ceo is still an improvement on untried and unqualified coach with a drug addict as his senior advisor.

Although a leader of a church is probably appropriate in how the marketing department can get a large bunch of our supporters to drink the cool aide.

Heck majority of fans still think dodo and Sheedy are good for the club.

'Invest in the mission
God invites you to worship him in all areas of your life, even the way you spend your money. Supporting a church financially is an excellent way of doing this.

We believe giving is an act of worship and service. It enables you to do more things that serve people, spread the gospel, and advance God’s kingdom in our cities.

Giving deepens your passion for God’s mission in Australia and throughout the world. God wants you to invest in his mission '

So sickening hey. Im all for believing in whatever you want in terms of religion, i feel for the people that get lured into this. Almost scam like

Queue photos of James Hird walking into this fellows Church on Sunday.

I don't understand. Maybe he was in with the boys club down there.
The AFLW aren't going to be happy and either is the players association
AFLW didn't have an issue with a player not wanting to wear a pride jumper due to religion so not sure they can argue too much about someone going to church.

'Invest in the mission

Again, skilled at fleecing money from the gullible with empty promises. Hmmmmm.

Being gay. Nothing usually offends me much with homophobia, if its directly involving me. As usually those views against being gay are so narrow minded. So its a waste of energy of even entertaining those people.

However, when someone is appointed by a club who has such backwards views and him being in that position is going to effect the gay community and young kids/adults out their dealing with this struggle of realising who they are or young women going through the traumatic experience of abortion. Then it absolute P$@#!$ me off. Cant tell me there wouldnt have been better candidates.

How anyone at that club could pass this says enough about the state of which this club is in. Feel horrible for the AFLW girls at the Essendon club especially.

how is Andrew being in the position going to effect the gay community?

Is your expectation that his first duty as Essendon's CEO is to ban gay people from the club and remove all of Essendon's involvement with the gay community? And whilst he is at it ban abortions from anyone in the AFLW team?

I certainly dont agree with his opinion. But unless he starts doing something reprehensible at the club, i dont see what the issue is here.

I'm not sure we should be banning people from Jobs because of their opinions or views, if they are completely separate to their job.

Unless he starts dissolving what Essendon does for the community this is just political crap.

Right because religious extremists have a long established track record of keeping their garbage views to themselves. :rolleyes:

Disappointing but not that surprising.

Ess is still a old boys club (coterie groups) with a poor culture and the worst governance of any AFL club over the last twenty years.

Our treatment of coaches, players and minority groups is poor. (Results speak for themselves)

Are we really that surprised?

Although in terms of governance appointing a homophobic disgraced bank ceo is still an improvement on untried and unqualified coach with a drug addict as his senior advisor.

Although a leader of a church is probably appropriate in how the marketing department can get a large bunch of our supporters to drink the cool aide.

Heck majority of fans still think dodo and Sheedy are good for the club.
Underrated post.

Essendon fans are the ones that suffer. Need some sort of popular uprising

Remove this Banner Ad

Back