News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

you do know he was the CEO of Major Australian banks, and under this leadership were highly inclusive workplaces right?
Meaningless. Society must not be tolerant of people with perspectives such as his. Also, citing his time at NAB as a success is hilarious!

i think maybe you need to read this

I have and its the same usual deflection, where someone cant take full responsibility of their opinions/views , so mask it behind religion.

Not bothered to discuss any more with yourself. Your avatar is a hoot , your username says enough. Ave a good one !

covers if off pretty well and makes a good point when CEO of NAB they were a very inclusive workplace....

he doestn always agree with views of those in his church etc...
I thought Kennett spoke crap. A dodgy car salesman is more trustworthy than this bloke.

Meaningless. Society must not be tolerant of people with perspectives such as his. Also, citing his time at NAB as a success is hilarious!

Again,

Read this.

he literally says he does not agree with everything the church says.

There's so many people blindly playing the man here is frankly a joke.

I’m sorry for any Essendon fans out there that identify as LGBT. I’m sure every club has supporters that identify as one of these. There is no place in society for shitstains like this bloke.

So it seems that the major concerns are the ''optics'' and a general outrage of the views of the church he belongs to.

Or perhaps how his appointment may make some gay people ''feel''.

I don't know if he'll be a good CEO or not, but I haven't read one good reason why he shouldn't be the CEO.

His personal views and how they may make some people feel is a pathetic reason to object to his appointment. But it doesn't surprise me. The outrage industry is alive and well.

North and the Bombers have all streams of life covered, we got you

Every time we think we have the chaos thing covered, in come Essendon.

To be fair though - Sheedy is a huge Liberal party supporter/conservative so he'd be loving this appointment.

Last edited:
you do know he was the CEO of Major Australian banks, and under this leadership were highly inclusive workplaces right?
He can chair Essendon or he can chair his church, he can't do both. He can't spruik tolerance and inclusiveness nine to five weekdays and then spend his weekends embracing people who preach the opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can chair Essendon or he can chair his church, he can't do both. He can't spruik tolerance and inclusiveness nine to five weekdays and then spend his weekends embracing people who preach the opposite.

Every single Christian that goes to church is homophobic then in that view.

So they either drop their religion or drop footy?

You can practice Christianity but also disagree with parts of the bible. The guy literally says that he does not agree with everything his church preaches, yet some people in here are literally comparing him to Hitler.

his track record shows he runs inclusive work places but oh no s**t, you go to church. fire him.

fmd this place is toxic.

Again,

Read this.

he literally says he does not agree with everything the church says.

There's so many people blindly playing the man here is frankly a joke.
Well, for one, he deserves to be attacked. He’s a dog.

Secondly, he was a senior figure within that church. Pretending to be some innocent bystander is hilarious.

He’s s**t at his job and a s**t bloke, enjoy!

As a gay dude, homophobes are an annoyance rather than a hinderance to my life personally however, I've met several guys over the years who had their lives destroyed by (mainly) religious/family driven homophobia.

Having said that, the most disturbing thing about this appointment is not only the fact that he had to resign from the role at NAB but the fact that he was on the panel to select the coach so he was clearly gunning for the job already.

I honestly miss the days when I used to love this club and support it whole-heartedly.
We are still the most successful club in the comp and have a history on most issues to be proud of. It's just the last twenty years have been brutal.

My positive take on this appointment is as a ceo and in terms of the main measure of success - turning a profit and shareholder approval he was pretty good at nab. So maybe he can replicate that at Essendon with profits and on-field success.

Ethics, values and morals questionable but did the NAB shareholders care, triple a rating care, doubt even post royal commission these groups care.

I think members will be the same if he can look after financials and set us up for on-field success then people generally look the other way over the rest.

Not saying it's right and personally disappointed but think that's the reality.

So it seems that the major concerns are the ''optics'' and a general outrage of the views of the church he belongs to.

Or perhaps how his appointment may make some gay people ''feel''.

I don't know if he'll be a good CEO or not, but I haven't read one good reason why he shouldn't be the CEO.

His personal views and how they may make some people feel is a pathetic reason to object to his appointment. But it doesn't surprise me. The outrage industry is alive and well.

I think its more than a case of how people "feel". Suicide rates are an interesting read if you think society is fully supportive of LGBTQI and how "they feel"

Acceptance is huge, discriminative views of any kind shouldn't be accepted/supported

Likewise id be as vocal about a bigot racist being appointed.

Step back a second.... if he was a Muslim - who have similar views - it would be lauded as an inclusive appointment.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he is actually a bigot, or going to be anti-homosexual at Essendon. If he is, then yeh, not a good appointment.
The irony is, people are quick to judge people they believe are judgemental.

Well, for one, he deserves to be attacked. He’s a dog.

What has he done to you personally to know he deserves to be attacked or is a dog?

I know nothing about the bloke beyond what's in the public sphere, so he appears to be guilty of letting NAB run questionable or exploitative practices which he lost his job for, and is a member of a religious organisation but doesn't appear to support their views on abortion or LGBTQIA+ rights given his actual comments.

I think its more than a case of how people "feel". Suicide rates are an interesting read if you think society is fully supportive of LGBTQI and how "they feel"

Acceptance is huge, discriminative views of any kind shouldn't be accepted/supported

His personal views are none of your business.

100% bullshit.

The guy has a track record of running inclusive work places, at the highest level of corporate Australia. You and others are literally getting titled just because of his personal views of a church he goes too. Too which he openly said he does not agree with all of their views.

You are ignoring what he actually does to what you want to see him as.

it is indeed pathetic.

i think maybe you need to read this before you just play the man.

Marketing department are fantastic at bombers. You prefer the cola or lime flavoured cool aid?

Same spin as telling us the royal commissions into church and banks has drastically changed behaviours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back