News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Step back a second.... if he was a Muslim - who have similar views - it would be lauded as an inclusive appointment.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he is actually a bigot, or going to be anti-homosexual at Essendon. If he is, then yeh, not a good appointment.
The irony is, people are quick to judge people they believe are judgemental.
I doubt they'd be quite as accepting if he was also an Imam at his local mosque in his spare time.

Vincent Hanna

Premium Platinum
Mar 15, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
We are still the most successful club in the comp and have a history on most issues to be proud of. It's just the last twenty years have been brutal.

My positive take on this appointment is as a ceo and in terms of the main measure of success - turning a profit and shareholder approval he was pretty good at nab. So maybe he can replicate that at Essendon with profits and on-field success.

Ethics, values and morals questionable but did the NAB shareholders care, triple a rating care, doubt even post royal commission these groups care.

I think members will be the same if he can look after financials and set us up for on-field success then people generally look the other way over the rest.

Not saying it's right and personally disappointed but think that's the reality.

The club is already successful financially, has been for some time surprisingly.
Absolutely proud of our history however, it is just that - history.
I would think at such a crucial time of our existence, a more considered and diverse approach should have been taken with this appointment imo.

Someone's sexuality's isn't a religious concern either. But here we are, centuries later

So basically what your saying is every Christian & Muslim in the world is just inherently a bigot. Even if they practice the religion, but dont agree with the church's views on it.

And you say this, trying to make an argument that they are being discriminatory?. Please tell me more.

Last edited:

nipst@r

All Australian
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
100% bullshit.

The guy has a track record of running inclusive work places, at the highest level of corporate Australia. You and others are literally getting titled just because of his personal views of a church he goes too.

You are ignoring what he actually does to what you want to see him as.

it is indeed pathetic.
I am interested in this. His departure from the banks can you explain that? Unfairly treated?

I actually don't think majority of members will care if he delivers profits and on-field success. Done what he was appointed to do, think hel be successful in that regard.

I just don't personally like the appointment but time will tell. Has been rumoured division already with minority groups and women's team so might be a hard sell to get them onboard. (Division not related to this I should add)

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
What has he done to you personally to know he deserves to be attacked or is a dog?

I know nothing about the bloke beyond what's in the public sphere, so he appears to be guilty of letting NAB run questionable or exploitative practices which he lost his job for, and is a member of a religious organisation but doesn't appear to support their views on abortion or LGBTQIA+ rights given his actual comments.
What a weak defence. Putin hasn’t done anything to me personally, guess I can’t say mean things about him.

I'm saying your blind faith to anything Essendon is delusional. If Essendon (the club) did bad things to your family you'd still find a way to give it a positive spin.

you dont know me?

I think plenty of what Essendon do is shithouse.

You have no idea of my track record in my views of what Essendon has or hasn't done rofl.

I am interested in this. His departure from the banks can you explain that? Unfairly treated?

I actually don't think majority of members will care if he delivers profits and on-field success. Done what he was appointed to do, think hel be successful in that regard.

I just don't personally like the appointment but time will tell. Has been rumoured division already with minority groups and women's team so might be a hard sell to get them onboard. (Division not related to this I should add)

he left NAB following the Royal commission into banking. Not because he was a perceived bigot rofl.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
So basically what your saying is every Christian & Muslim in the world is just inherently a bigot. Even if they proactive the religion, but dont agree with the church's views on it.

And you say this, trying to make an argument that they are being discriminatory?. Please tell me more.

Im not into drugs i just sell them?

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Again,

Read this.

he literally says he does not agree with everything the church says.

There's so many people blindly playing the man here is frankly a joke.
The fact he is even associated with a organisation that has these views is a terrible look for someone in a position of authority . it’s not like he was a clean skin to begin with after the royal commission as qualified he might be business wise this was not a very smart appointment but Essendon

100% bullshit.

The guy has a track record of running inclusive work places, at the highest level of corporate Australia. You and others are literally getting titled just because of his personal views of a church he goes too. Too which he openly said he does not agree with all of their views.

You are ignoring what he actually does to what you want to see him as.

it is indeed pathetic.

Yeah no, his record at NAB is certainly a career highlight. For sure. Yep.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

The club is already successful financially, has been for some time surprisingly.
Absolutely proud of our history however, it is just that - history.
I would think at such a crucial time of our existence, a more considered and diverse approach should have been taken with this appointment imo.

Does it still need an AFL guarantee ?

The fact he is even associated with a organisation that has these views is a terrible look for someone in a position of authority . it’s not like he was a clean skin to begin with after the royal commission as qualified he might be business wise this was not a very smart appointment but Essendon

So anyone that goes to church is a bigot?

Anyone is a position of authority in Australia that is a Christian should be ousted from their jobs. Even if they dont necessarily agree with everything written in the bible.

From an inclusivity point of view? or a Royal commission into dodgy banking practices?

They are 2 different things.

You want to say he is a s**t CEO because of the commission? Go for it.

nipst@r

All Australian
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
he left NAB following the Royal commission into banking. Not because he was a perceived bigot rofl.
Agree seperate issues but leaving a role due to royal commission raises questions regarding morals and values so I think it's relevant to raise.

Promoted in the article about leading a diverse organisation but banking industry has a pretty poor reputation for culture and governance so interested what role he played in that as CEO

Or who cares nab made a ton of money and are globally respected in banking industry which is also perfectly fine take.

Agree seperate issues but leaving a role due to royal commission raises questions regarding morals and values so I think it's relevant to raise.

Promoted in the article about leading a diverse organisation but banking industry has a pretty poor reputation for culture and governance so interested what role he played in that as CEO

Or who cares nab made a ton of money and are globally respected in banking industry which is also perfectly fine take.

i dont really care if you want to have a crack at him because of what came about following the royal commission. That's reasonably fair game.

Saying the bloke should be sacked, based on his personal views of a church he goes too, when he openly says he does not agree with all of them is just about being woke.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The money says highlight to me.

National Australia Bank chief executive Andrew Thorburn has copped a $2.1 million pay cut as a result of the fallout and potential criminal misconduct emerging from the financial services royal commission.
While the haircut is the biggest of any major bank chief executive, Mr Thorburn still made $4.3 million in the year to September 2018, down from $6.4 million in the prior corresponding period.

nipst@r

All Australian
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
From an inclusivity point of view? or a Royal commission into dodgy banking practices?

I think depends on what you want from a ceo?

He probably smashed his performance objectives from a shareholder and board perspective. Deep down they would probably appoint him again despite the royal commission.

His personal shitty opinions aside, his track record for running organisations isnt compatible with a football club, in my view, but I guess Essendon are happy to roll that dice.

Hazardinho

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
My god that organisation is an absolute cluster****. Every time a modicum of sympathy threatens to will its way into my consciousness, they come to the table with some absolute bullshit like this again.

They are an irreparable basket case, long may their drought continue.

Absolutely feel for their queer and women fans and players, however.
I agree with everything you said, except the drought. I can’t wait any longer man, seen no success!

Back