News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s more moral to be honest and say religions are stupid and shouldn’t exist, than the Fabian style war of attrition to force reformation.
I don't think that's politically possible yet.

Heard him speak for 2 mins on SEN this morning. Sounded like a complete and utter w***er, regardless of what he believes in. Embarrassing for the Bombers.
Wasn't great.

Weird churchy s**t aside, it seemed like such a bizarre appointment.

Has no sports admin background whatsoever, but reckons cause he followed sport he'll be right.

Also said the first thing he will do is get himself a mentor that has a clue, and learn as quickly as he can.

Gotta say, it sounded to me like Essendon didn't exactly have candidates queuing up for this one!

Sounds like the media again trying to destroy someone's career over personal beliefs. I find it ironic that despite constant calls demanding Christians to keep their views personal, the media yet again wish to draw out a man's personal beliefs into the public square for interrogation.
First of all he is head of the organisation not just an attendee. Secondly what if his "personal belief" was that black people were inferior to white people. Would that be ok?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the flak Josh Cavallo has endured as an out gay man in the A League, I don't think it's happening soon (despite the existence of gay players in the AFL).

Footy isn't ready for it, regrettably. This thread is pretty good evidence of that.

Or maybe those players don't think it's worthy of making a big song and dance about it. People are wired differently.

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

The Board of the Essendon Football Club has accepted the resignation of Andrew Thorburn as CEO.

As soon as the comments relating to a 2013 sermon from a pastor, at the City of the Hill church came to light this morning, we acted immediately to clarify the publicly espoused views on the organisation’s official website, which are in direct contradiction to our values as a Club.

Essendon is committed to providing an inclusive, diverse and a safe Club, where everyone is welcome and respected.

The Board made clear that, despite these not being views that Andrew Thorburn has expressed personally and that were also made prior to him taking up his role as Chairman, he couldn’t continue to serve in his dual roles at the Essendon Football Club and as Chairman of City on the Hill.

The Board respects Andrew’s decision.

We are deeply committed to our values and support wholeheartedly the work of the AFL in continuing to stamp out any discrimination based on race, sex, religion, gender, sexual identity or orientation, or physical or mental disability.

I want to stress that neither the board nor Andrew was aware of the comments from the 2013 sermon until we read about them this morning. I also want to stress that this is not about vilifying anyone for their personal religious beliefs, but about a clear conflict of interest with an organisation whose views do not align at all with our values as a safe, inclusive, diverse and welcoming club for our staff, our players, our members, our fans, our partners and the wider community.

Acting CEO Nick Ryan will continue in his role whilst we commence the process to appoint a new CEO.

Essendon CEO Andrew Thornburn has quit his role after only one day in the job.
Thornburn’s hiring was met with widespread backlash after the views of his church were thrust into the spotlight.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews torched the Essendon Football Club over its appointment of Thorburn.

“The Board of the Essendon Football Club has accepted the resignation of Andrew Thorburn as CEO,” a club statement read.

“As soon as the comments relating to a 2013 sermon from a pastor, at the City of the Hill church came to light this morning, we acted immediately to clarify the publicly espoused views on the organisation’s official website, which are in direct contradiction to our values as a Club.

“The Board made clear that, despite these not being views that Andrew Thorburn has expressed personally and that were also made prior to him taking up his role as Chairman, he couldn’t continue to serve in his dual roles at the Essendon Football Club and as Chairman of City on the Hill.

“The Board respects Andrew’s decision.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back