moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
The BBC screened Huddersfield Giants v Leeds Rhinos yesterday afternoon, and we saw a terrific contest and a great advert for our game. Champions Leeds, who seem to have made a habit in recent years of getting to the final and then losing, were a tough nut to crack for the Giants, but this Huddersfield side seems to have the steel to not fade away and flatter to deceive as they have done in recent seasons. With a strong-ish wind at their backs in the first half, the Giants, helped by Danny Brough's adroit kicking game, looked a real handful, and came through at half-time with a well-merited 16-4 lead.

The only question then was, was a twelve point lead sufficient? Warning bells sounded when the Rhinos encamped themselves on the Huddersfield try-line at the start of the second half, aided by some unforced errors by the Giants. However, the Giants' defence stood firm, conceding only one try in the second half, to the excellent Kallum Watkins. The Leeds centre was not to be outdone, however, by his opposite number from Huddersfield, as Leroy Cudjoe scored two fine tries himself. I'd like to see both of them in the England side. So despite having a man sent off (for punching, which I guess wouldn't happen (yet) in the NRL), Huddersfield ran out convincing winners by 24 points to 8.

On the sending off, to be fair, it wasn't just a case of 'handbags', but of four or five heavy punches to the head, un-retaliated. It has been the practice this season in the ESL that punches to the head result in a red, so the ref had little option yesterday in terms of consistency.

Saw two games of varying quality this weekend. I just watched Saturday's game between Catalans and Hull FC. Hull's dogged defence saw them through in an error-strewn match, admittedly played in very hot and humid conditions, resulting in a lot of spilt ball 24-13, with a try under the posts in the final play of the tie sealing a deserved win.

On Sunday, in conditions equally hot, though drier, Warrington turned on the style, and the power, to brush Huddersfield aside with ominous ease. Their props were the best players on the pitch, and the platform they provided was turned into points by Lee Briers and his merry men. Briers showed his class with a typically cheeky try when, twenty yards out, he spotted the full-back was out of position and dribbled the ball through, strolling through the defence to touch down perfectly under the posts. And it didn't get any better for Huddersfield; the Wolves made sure Danny Brough never had time to get his much-vaunted kicking game going, and Brough, like most of his team-mates, looked oddly off-par. 44-24.

Challenge Cup semi-finals this weekend:

London Broncos (!) v Wigan Warriors on Saturday.
Hull FC v Warrington Wolves on Sunday.

So the odds are heavily on a Warrington/Wigan final this year.

Wigan 70 London 0 :eek:

Wigan would have beaten better sides than London with that performance, with skipper Sean O'Loughlin outstanding, but blow-outs like that in a Cup semi-final do the game no favours. Hull v Warrington tomorrow should hopefully be more competitive.

Apaz Wigan were 50 to 1 on to win. I wonder what the odds were on them nilling their opponents.

Ooh, I seem to have lost the post I made last night. Anyway, the second semi-final didn't disappoint; it was a terrific contest, with the result in doubt until the final play of the match.

The last time Wigan played Hull in the Final. A fantastic game, I hope youse guys can see it. Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny, Shaun Edwards, Henderson Gill!, John Ferguson; some great players.

At the risk of boring you...

after that, I just had to watch this. I was at that game, and it was a treat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno. I look back on those days, and I knew was watching some very special talents, the Brett Kennys and Shaun Edwards and Ellery Hanleys, and I don't see their like today. In the Superleague, Sam Tomkins and maybe Rangi Chase on a good day. In the NRL? I've seen hardly any this season, but Benji has lost his mojo, Ben Barba I gather is not happy, and Shaun Johnson seems to be stuttering with the Warriors. Is it just me, or are we running short of the genius game-breaker I think our game needs?

I'm quite happy to be shouted down on this. :)

The trouble is that the game no longer promotes game breaking halfbacks like it used to. You can blame the 10 metre rule and the NRL for this. Unfortunately the game has developed teams that are full of 6 foot tall, 100kg back rowers and centres across the park where all the "creative" players need to do is pick out one of the robots running at the line. Twenty years ago you had Shaun Edwards, Andy Gregory, Ellery Hanley, Garry Schofield for England. Australia had Ricky Stewart, Laurie Daly, Cliff Lyons, Allan Langer. New Zealand had Garry Freeman, Clayton Friend, Stacey Jones. Hell even the French had Patrick Entate. Who is there these days that consistently produces game breaking performances with creative halves play? Johnathan Thurston and until 2010 Benji Marshall Perhaps my personal favorite Lee Briars (Please please Lee turn out for Wales in this years world cup one last time!!!) and thats about it. Thank you 10 metre rule for killing creative halves

Yes, Lee Briers is a wonderful talent. I don't know about the ten-metre rule, though is it really to blame? One thing I do think, though, and those vids reminded me of, is that I wish they hadn't outlawed playing the ball to yourself. I always thought that was a good rule, and saw no reason to abolish it.

Also, don't you think that the poachers become game-keepers? How many of those maverick talents you list later became coaches who espoused a no-frills defensive style of play, unwilling to take the risks that they took themselves as players? I still think (and I suspect you agree, NU) that the English game generally has had a more attacking and risk-taking style of play. I've remarked before about the SoO: its brutal intensity is the logical end-product of the Australian game. And it's compelling entertainment for three matches a year. But really, if all rugby league was like that, I think I'd soon tire of watching it.

Here's hoping for a good game on Saturday, anyway! :)

Well the weather spoilt it really, it was never going to be a replay of the 1985 final. I thought Wigan lacked a bit of attacking spark in the first half, considering the possession they had. Hull certainly defended well, and of course the ball wa slippery. But Hull made way too many unforced errors when they did get the ball, with their play-makers Holdsworth and Miller being some of the worst offenders. And Wigan ground out the result, by playing considerably better rugby than their opponents. I've just watched the game again on TV, and I'm judging Hull more severely after seeing them close-up. I wouldn't begrudge Matty Smith his Lance Todd trophy, but I thought Liam Farrell was just as good.

The usual terrific atmosphere at the final. People dressed as, I can't begin to imagine what, in some cases; Turkish dancers, maybe, Some Swiss boys straight from a yodelling contest, some Hull fans wittily attired in back and white hoops as convicts as per O Brother Where Art Thou, amongst many others.

I suspect Wigan wil be in the half-back market again before the start of next season. I'm not much of a fan of Blake Green, I don't think he really has the class to wear the Wigan No 6 shirt. Smith is a better player (who never even gets mentioned as a possible for England, despite their well-known half-back issues, and the fact he plays 7 for the most successful team in the league).Meanwhile they'll almost certainly be losing Sam T as well. Fortunately the conveyor belt of young English talent continues: Charnley, yesterday's try-scorer Thornley, Flower (OK, he's Welsh) etc.

Loved the run down of the Hull player late in the game. Sam Tomkins will be a star in the NRL and Hull just couldn't hold onto the ball down their end. Great game to watch, but no to level it once was

Remove this Banner Ad

Back