English Super League Challenge Cup Final 2012: Warrington Wolves v. Leeds Rhinos

Remove this Banner Ad

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Can Leeds make it a record-breaking three defeats in a row at Wembley? That's what all the pundits are saying here, especially in the light of Danny Maguire's unavailability for Leeds. He will be sorely missed. But we all remember Leeds; sensational season-end last year, when they won the Grand Final with a wonderful display despite finishing only fifth. Not to mention beating Manly :p Fifth looks about the best they can manage this season, and they've often looked pretty scratchy, to be fair.

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to make it in person this weekend; I have something else on, and it will be a last-minute decision. It is live on the BBC. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Thanks for the reminder Moto, will check out Eurosports guide tom and record it.
I'm so far behind with esl this year, but have a no of tapes to watch when I get some spare time.

You'll see it later, NU? I shan't be there live this year unfortunately, so I'll have to make do with the BBC and Jonathan Davies' whingeing. At least there's Clare Balding to hold it together.

I liked Davis as a player and i like him as a commentator. Don't get to hear much of him now though. I also miss listening to Ray French calling the big games.
I son't think we're getting even delayed coverage hear which is bloody poor.

79,000+ people at Wembley for the final in pouring rain was a great result for esl. A really good game as well Moto. I even taped it so I can watch it again when I am fully awake lol

I don't think it'll go down as a classic; the conditions put paid to that. I felt sorry for Kevin Sinfield and his team: he has been such a good servant to English rugby for many years, but it looks like the Cup will always elude him. Truth is, Leeds just didn't offer enough in attack to trouble the Wolves. Sinfield's usually reliable kicking game wasn't on song either. And Warrington, guided around the park by grand old men Lee Briers and Brett Hodgson, were just too strong in all departments. A fitting Lance Todd Trophy win for Hodgson too, only the fourth Aussie ever to win it, and the first since Graham Eadie. I've always thought he's been a terrific player for Warrington and Huddersfield, and must have been even better in his NRL heyday, for the Tigers, was it? He was involved in the pivotal moment of the match, early in the second half, when he was flattened in his own half by a bone-crunching tackle from prop Kylie Leuluai. The ball ran free and Leeds scored under the posts. After repeated replays, the try was disallowed, but Leeds were give head and feed as the tackle was considered legal. The decision looked a right one to me and most of the TV pundits, but Leeds never seemed to recover from this setback. LackIng their regular half-back Danny Maguire, Leeds played an eighteen-year-old lad at 7, but he, like most of the Leeds side, was unable to put much of a dent in the Wolves. Fittingly, Hodgson put the icing on the cake with the final Warrington try, slicing over the line after a trademark run and dummy. Leeds now have to pick themselves up and challenge for the GF. Last year, they lost the Cup final and won the GF in the unlikeliest circumstances from fifth in the league. This year, they have just lost the Cup Final and are fifth in the league. Who knows... :)

Realistically, a two-horse race between Wigan and Warrington looks a more likely bet.

79,000+ people at Wembley for the final in pouring rain was a great result for esl. A really good game as well Moto. I even taped it so I can watch it again when I am fully awake lol

It didn't look like that in the first few minutes, did it, when Richie Myler put that wonderful kick through to Monaghan in glorious sunshine to open the scoring? It was certainly never dull, but I think the rain stopped it being a classic. Well, that, and thr fact that the second half especially was pretty one-sided. The weather forecast was sufficient to put me off the two-hundred mile bike journey, and I decided to make do with the sofa at home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The expected awful puns in the comments, but no mention in this article from a week ago:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/24/joel-monaghan-warrington-challenge-cup-final

It was just a rumour I read on another forum I post on, but thanks for that link to the Guardian..I guess Joel will have to put up with those puns for a while yet unfortunately. I bet he wished he could go back in time and undo what happened and has learnt his lesson.

He's played some great footy and its time for people to forgive and move on...we all make mistakes.

btw, I liked some of those comments regarding the lack of exposure for r/l in the English media...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back