Challenges/ hawkeye in tennis

XFactor1979

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2008
Lurkville
AFL Club
West Coast
Should they reduce the number of challenges or get rid of them altogether?

It isnt making much of a difference to the flow of the game, and 99% of challenges by players are unsuccessful

Players make unforced errors, why cant the lines people and chair umpire be allowed to too?

If they got rid of challenges it will bring back bad boys back onto the court, and a bit of the argy bargy of tennis :->

John-McEnroe.jpg

551329-jeff-tarango.jpg

With the challenges system Lleyton Hewitt hasnt got a case, and he hasnt spat the dummy since the challenges system came in

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
The challenge system works an absolute treat. I think that even if a player gets the review wrong, it gives them peace of mind knowing that the correct decision has been made. The review system also beings a bit of crowd participation and engagement in the match. I think it has added to tennis.

hirdy_is_champ

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2003
tunnel
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
ESSENDON
So XFactor, you would rather see players chucking fits (which I admit is entertaining) than actually have technology being used? Serena Williams has managed to throw two very decent tantrums with hawkeye being present, so its not like it stops it completely.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
my issue is the trust in the technology. there is no chance it can be 100% correct and often decisions are withing 1-10mm which is nothing. these decisions can change the face of the match. it also renders linespeople useless as any close decision can simply be decided by hawk eye

i do like the challenge system though, but surely limit it to 1 challenge including tirebreaks each set, 3 is a bit obsessive and is often abused

XFactor1979

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2008
Lurkville
AFL Club
West Coast
So XFactor, you would rather see players chucking fits (which I admit is entertaining) than actually have technology being used? Serena Williams has managed to throw two very decent tantrums with hawkeye being present, so its not like it stops it completely.

that was the difference between tennis and golf in the past, with tennis players were known to possess firey tempers whereas golfers were so well contained.

nothing more entertaining than seeing a player cop a code violation after smashing their racket, similar to a rockstar smashing their guitars. or a code violation for cursing at the ref

The_Doctor

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The challenge system in tennis is one of the best introductions in sport in recent memory. Love it.

+1 :thumbsu:

3 challenges is spot on, there are a fair few line ball decisions each set and all we want is the right decision to be made. It takes like 15 seconds so its not wasting time. No negatives to it what so ever.

XFactor1979

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2008
Lurkville
AFL Club
West Coast
The worst part of the system is the players miss challenging calls during the meaty part of the set (eg early games, or when its 2-2) when there are actually incorrect calls, but they usually challenge at the end of the set when its all in hope and they just waste the three challenges that they still have

roostersgal4eva

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2002
Adelaide United 4EVA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
North Adelaide Roosters
It's gamesmanship nothing more

I like it and has the right amount of challenges only thing I dislike is you can't have it on all courts during a grand slam - which I know is hard to do

matty p

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
my issue is the trust in the technology. there is no chance it can be 100% correct and often decisions are withing 1-10mm which is nothing. these decisions can change the face of the match. it also renders linespeople useless as any close decision can simply be decided by hawk eye

You might not be able to trust the technology 100% but it's still far more accurate than linesmen's decisions.

XFactor1979

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2008
Lurkville
AFL Club
West Coast
What about what happened with the farsical situation with the Nalbandian and Isner match when Nalbandian challenged a line call on a break point only for the chair umpire to say to him that he was too late to challenge

Lemma

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2010
Fogarty St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That was a bad decision by the chair umpire not the hawkeye system

I really want to know if that was in or out btw, does anyone know?

XFactor1979

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2008
Lurkville
AFL Club
West Coast
The joys of hearing the *crowd murmuring* when the linesmen misses an out ball are gone :(

Mainly because a crowd is quiet in tennis and when a murmur comes up it brings a bit of levity

rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb, thatballwasout, rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb

Kaan

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I like Hawkeye.

Gives the players and fans a peace of mind knowing if it was in or not.

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
^^^^

I say make it unlimited.

It doesn't seem like it takes a lot of time to play and it makes me feel like they're just doing it to uphold the relevance of a chair umpire in today's age of technology.

If the technology is there, use it.

Especially in a game like tennis, where the landing of the ball determines the whole game as it is - it's crucial that it is able to be tracked. A decade or so, I can understand... we had to make do with what was available. But now?

Seriously. Make it unlimited and let the chair umpire take care of the latter things like crowd noise, player behavior and match structures.

Lemma

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2010
Fogarty St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nah i reckon there has to be a limit. Otherwise players would challenge points they know are out when they're tired just to get a bigger break. It's a waste of time, pure and simple.
It's not that often players run out of challenges anyway

Back