Champion Data’s List & Player Ratings - An Accurate Tool or Total Fabrication ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

I was looking through these 'rankings' and pondered whether they are an accurate reflection of each club's list or just a heap of meaningless stats cobbled together to come up with a skewed set of conclusions ??

I'm not against these sorts of things but I do question the accuracy and how they arrived at their findings.

Also who is Champion Data and what else do they do to give them some credibility in this area ??

By the way, I'm not going to nit-pick which club has what on their list, it's all rather subjective.

Champion data are the 'official' producer of stats for the AFL. They have a large team of analysts pulling apart every game for individual and team stats.

Their method is:
"Champion Data’s list ratings are based on individual talent. They do not take into account anything to do with the team as a collective. The formula takes into account a player’s output, game time, what position they play and what they contribute to each position."

So what they do is compare individuals to other individual playing a similar role, then assign them to a category of talent. Then just add up the number of players in the various categories. So informative, but quite misleading on its won.

E.g. they state the Saints 2 elite players are both rucks. Is that a positive or not?
Players improve and get worse over time. So a team full of old guys at some stage might fall off a cliff. A team full of young guys maturing together might just jump suddenly.

It's a very blunt instrument to assess a team. Actually look at Melbourne. They were ranked #1 in 2019, but had a poor list balance with few run and carry players. Teams adjusted to their style and suffocated them. Same amount of talent, but list balance is very important.

I take this is a huge grain of salt

Image result for grain of salt

Its complete garbage produced for the stats obsessed.

What I would love to see is what the clubs do with the data they get. That would be far more interesting but sadly they dont like to share.

Mostly the clubs just overuse it to pretend like they are genius groundbreakers in the league and sport as a whole.

Apparently Geelong have the 16th best defence in the league according to Champion Data. This is the same defence which conceded the least points the last two H&A seasons.

Makes sense right? :drunk:

Champion data seems to be something of a monopoly of match-day analytics, selling it back to clubs. 'Fanalysts' get very little access to this kind of information compared to global sports

I think this is a problem for analytical innovation in the industry. In recent years there is a growing gulf between the statistical metrics of footy, & who actually wins. The three-peat Hawks, and more recently the Tigers win games through ruthless efficiency, regularly conceding 'key metrics'

It’s garbage how can the only player in the comp in 2019 that averaged 20+ disposals and kick 40 or more goals not be elite going in to 2020
Elite: the best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons
By definition he is one of only a few that can actually be called elite

Sorry who are you referring to?

I do wonder if they read through their list of “elite players” and ask themselves whether their output makes any sense.

Jeremy Finlayson and Taylor Walker are apparently elite key forwards yet Tom Hawkins and Josh Kennedy aren’t? Anthony McDonald-T is an elite general forward but Charlie Cameron isn’t? We have SEVEN elite ruckmen in the competition?

I was looking through these 'rankings' and pondered whether they are an accurate reflection of each club's list or just a heap of meaningless stats cobbled together to come up with a skewed set of conclusions ??

I'm not against these sorts of things but I do question the accuracy and how they arrived at their findings.

Also who is Champion Data and what else do they do to give them some credibility in this area ??

By the way, I'm not going to nit-pick which club has what on their list, it's all rather subjective.
Just a list of stats. They're not totally meaningless, but they don't give the whole picture, otherwise everyone would be able to pick the ladder, Brownlow and GF winners from those stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do their statistics take into account impact per possession or difficulty of disposal?

Is a Dustin Martin disposal where he's running down the wing and then kicks across his body and hits a player 40 meters away on the chest with a worm burner in the center corridor 30 meters out from goal worth more than a straight 40 meter pass down the line to an open player?

Melbourne and Adelaide were clearly the most elite 2 teams in 2019 as predicted by Champion Data this time last year, so clearly it's very accurate

I'm not a huge fan of their actual player ratings. They are obviously excellent at producing the raw statistics but when they put out analysis to show whose the best players at certain positions I'd say they aren't great. Some positions are more accurate than others - like ruck and small forward might be more accurate and conversely key defenders are extremely weighted towards intercept players over lockdown players.

I do enjoy the player heat maps showing where players get the ball and things like that.

Overall they play their role in putting out statistics of all kinds but the inferences they draw from them are probably not nearly as good as fan driven analysis would be if we had access to the same resources they do.

Take it with a massive grain of salt. We were first on this last year.

Also on this one it looks like they've criminally overrated the likes of North.

Also player ratings wise they don't know what they're doing. I think I saw on one of these they had the likes of the Wagner brothers & ANB ranked higher than Harmes which is insane!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back