11. Brisbane
12. Melbourne
13. St Kilda
14. Sydney
15. Adelaide
16. Carlton
17. Fremantle
18. Gold Coast

Here's the 2019 list rankings for comparison.

1. Melbourne
2. Adelaide
3. Richmond
4. Essendon
5. Collingwood
6. Geelong
7. GWS Giants
8. North Melbourne
9. Hawthorn
10. Brisbane
11. West Coast
12. Port Adelaide
13. Sydney
14. St Kilda
15. Western Bulldogs
16. Carlton
17. Fremantle
18. Gold Coast

As you can see from the 2019 rankings it doesn't seem to hold up too much better than throwing darts. They got 5/8 for the top 8, 1/4 for the top 4, and 0/2 top 2.

That being said, 6th on talent would be a great starting spot for Rhyce and the coaches to move forward for the next 2-3 years and have us push for top end of the ladder, home finals, and a premiership.

Here's Chamion Data's 2020 list rankings

1. Richmond
2. Western Bulldogs
3. Collingwood
4. GWS
5. West Coast
6. North Melbourne
7. Geelong
8. Port Adelaide
9. Essendon
10. Hawthorn
11. Brisbane
12. Melbourne
13. St Kilda
14. Sydney
15. Adelaide
16. Carlton
17. Fremantle
18. Gold Coast

Here's the 2019 list rankings for comparison.

1. Melbourne
2. Adelaide
3. Richmond
4. Essendon
5. Collingwood
6. Geelong
7. GWS Giants
8. North Melbourne
9. Hawthorn
10. Brisbane
11. West Coast
12. Port Adelaide
13. Sydney
14. St Kilda
15. Western Bulldogs
16. Carlton
17. Fremantle
18. Gold Coast

As you can see from the 2019 rankings it doesn't seem to hold up too much better than throwing darts. They got 5/8 for the top 8, 1/4 for the top 4, and 0/2 top 2.

That being said, 6th on talent would be a great starting spot for Rhyce and the coaches to move forward for the next 2-3 years and have us push for top end of the ladder, home finals, and a premiership.

Wow, Melbourne #1 last year, that went well! Down to #12, I'd be pretty happy with 7 in 2020 draft, lets hope the they've overestimated them again!

Wow, Melbourne #1 last year, that went well! Down to #12, I'd be pretty happy with 7 in 2020 draft, lets hope the they've overestimated them again!
It's more about maximising potential I think?! A suggested key factor for the GoDees' 2019 form was pre-season injuries and, I'd argue, similar to us, not anticipating and responding to the 6-6-6 rule change. I think they'll go up again and, with us, be competing for finals. It's possible that 2018 was a flash in the pan, but I do think they're better than 17 and 12 for that matter.

I think CD is right in rating the Dogs who I think have done a decent job at identifying and plugging list gaps. Good Friday should be a cracker.

St Kilda and Carlton will be interesting to watch and see what transpires. I thought the age profiles for these two were interesting. Saints filling the middle age bracket(s), Carlton the lower.

Apparently we have three elite players. Who are they?
I’m guessing Cunnington + 2 of Goldy, Higgins Tarrant, Brown?

You have no idea that CD have no idea, or no idea that you have no idea?!
It's more about maximising potential I think?! A suggested key factor for the GoDees' 2019 form was pre-season injuries and, I'd argue, similar to us, not anticipating and responding to the 6-6-6 rule change. I think they'll go up again and, with us, be competing for finals. It's possible that 2018 was a flash in the pan, but I do think they're better than 17 and 12 for that matter.

I think CD is right in rating the Dogs who I think have done a decent job at identifying and plugging list gaps. Good Friday should be a cracker.

St Kilda and Carlton will be interesting to watch and see what transpires. I thought the age profiles for these two were interesting. Saints filling the middle age bracket(s), Carlton the lower.
tend to agree re Melbourne challenging year for them with injuries etc. that said I also wonder how much of the 17!season was due to what Roos put in place and while he was a positive influence on the place, his impact is gone. That is no slur on Goodwin, and only time will tell with a clear run with injuries etc.

Apparently we have three elite players. Who are they?
I’m guessing Cunnington + 2 of Goldy, Higgins Tarrant, Brown?
Goldy for sure. Knowing CD the other one is probably Dumont. For a winger he has great contested numbers and CD loves that. Is a shade ahead of Polec on player ratings. Tarrant doesn't have flashy enough stats and player ratings aren't very good at rating key defenders who actually defend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldy for sure. Knowing CD the other one is probably Dumont. For a winger he has great contested numbers and CD loves that. Is a shade ahead of Polec on player ratings. Tarrant doesn't have flashy enough stats and player ratings aren't very good at rating key defenders who actually defend.

I find CD quite interesting, however they need to find a method to better judge KPD. Tarrant went * knows how long without losing a 1v1 and he’s ranked 9,987th. Yet if you’re a defender who plays on lesser fwds you get rated higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this morning flicking through the little paper while waiting for my coffee that CD has ranked our midfield as the third-best in the league. Would be interesting to understand how they come to that calculation.

Given that we are typically referred to as “underrated”, this Champion Data blurb is a positive development - I’d like to think. On the other hand, they’re are less excuses now - it’s time we started delivering. The fact that our forward line is seen as our weakest link could be viewed as a real plus. Players like BBB, Wood, Garner, Zurhaar, Thomas, Maj (when required), Higgins, Ziebell and, I expect, Will Walker are capable of troubling any defence.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Given that we are typically referred to as “underrated”, this Champion Data blurb is a positive development - I’d like to think. On the other hand, they’re are less excuses now - it’s time we started delivering. The fact that our forward line is seen as our weakest link could be viewed as a real plus. Players like BBB, Wood, Garner, Zurhaar, Thomas, Maj (when required), Higgins, Ziebell and, I expect, Will Walker are capable of troubling any defence.

Yeah I actually think the forward line is a weapon of ours just young

3 tall targets brown wood larkey
Good tackling dangerous smalls Garner Zurhaar Turner

TT and Ziebs rotating down there

Very exciting

Think they overrated our midfield though so evens out

Yeah I actually think the forward line is a weapon of ours just young

3 tall targets brown wood larkey
Good tackling dangerous smalls Garner Zurhaar Turner

TT and Ziebs rotating down there

Very exciting

Think they overrated our midfield though so evens out

... and I even forgot Larkey!
They may have overrated our midfield but I’ll take that. When was the last time the words “North Melbourne” and “overrated” appeared in the same sentence? I reckon it was around the time we were winning flags...

I find CD quite interesting, however they need to find a method to better judge KPD. Tarrant went fu** knows how long without losing a 1v1 and he’s ranked 9,987th. Yet if you’re a defender who plays on lesser fwds you get rated higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or the absolute best if you play on no one.

I’m going to be interested to see if Rance gets found out with the 6-6-6 rule.

I saw this morning flicking through the little paper while waiting for my coffee that CD has ranked our midfield as the third-best in the league. Would be interesting to understand how they come to that calculation.
At a guess it's because they're including wingers as part of the midfield (as they should) and we have two very good ones in Polec & Dumont as well as 2 elite or near-elite genuine mids in Cunners and Higgo. Jed is also rated highly by CD, and JZ had a good season.

Collingwood have 3 A-graders in Trelaor/Pendles/Sidebottom and then Adams (who is rated behind Jed, FWIW) but fall away after that and have garbage wings.

The player rating numbers are all public (though not the inputs, which sucks), though hard to do things like ad hoc comparisons between clubs.

At a guess it's because they're including wingers as part of the midfield (as they should) and we have two very good ones in Polec & Dumont as well as 2 elite or near-elite genuine mids in Cunners and Higgo. Jed is also rated highly by CD, and JZ had a good season.

Collingwood have 3 A-graders in Trelaor/Pendles/Sidebottom and then Adams (who is rated behind Jed, FWIW) but fall away after that and have garbage wings.

The player rating numbers are all public (though not the inputs, which sucks), though hard to do things like ad hoc comparisons between clubs.
CD is completely overrated and close to BS IMO - Some of the data can be important in identifying shortcomings in player output etc but fails to measure the critical intangibles such as game changing play etc. It grossly undervalues KPP's and is too heavily weighted towards inside midfielders. Any idea how Wayne Carey would have ranked for his full seasons between 1994 and 2000 under their system? If he ranked anything less than number 1 on points by the length of the Flemington straight - then it's close to worthless.

I love how ppl misinterpret the data and then claim CD has “no clue”.

It’s a ranking simply based on the skill of players. It doesn’t take into account how well they work together, team plan, processes coach, etc. So stop trying to make the list into something it’s not.

All it tells us is that North have recurred well, trained well, and have a ton of good players without too much baggage. Now it’s time to put in place a game plan that works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back