Analysis Champion Data Prospectus 2020- Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Got my copy of the 2020 CD Prospectus today. A couple of observations pertinent to Port-

Port were the best side when it came to forward half differential
Port had equal best clearance differential at around the ground stoppages
Port had the best clearance differential at centre bounces
Port were the best at forward half intercepts- a stat that normally guarantees you a prelim final

The CD analysis blames our efficiency for the fact that these stats didn't see us make finals. CD notes that our accuracy cost us too. If all teams had the same accuracy, we would have finished 5th (the expected score ladder).

The analysis debunks the theory we are too slow and one paced in the midfield. Our clearance work is first class. Boak (our only elite player) was the standout but he was assisted in the clearances by Gray, Wines and Rockliff who were all above average in this category.

Rozee was the best general forward in the comp! We have the 7th youngest list but the 5th most experienced game wise. We have the 14th most difficult draw.

Got my copy of the 2020 CD Prospectus today. A couple of observations pertinent to Port-

Port were the best at forward half intercepts- a stat that normally guarantees you a prelim final

The CD analysis blames our efficiency for the fact that these stats didn't see us make finals. CD notes that our accuracy cost us too. If all teams had the same accuracy, we would have finished 5th (the expected score ladder).

The analysis debunks the theory we are too slow and one paced in the midfield. Our clearance work is first class. Boak (our only elite player) was the standout but he was assisted in the clearances by Gray, Wines and Rockliff who were all above average in this category.

Rozee was the best general forward in the comp! We have the 7th youngest list but the 5th most experienced game wise. We have the 14th most difficult draw.
Premiership here we come?? 🙃

I think we're great at winning clearances, but I think the clearance stat is a bit of a junk stat, because there are two kinds of clearances. Pressured clearances that lead to a relatively uncontrolled jammed on the boot hack forward, and then effective "Robbie Gray" style clearances where you are able to get out of the traffic and dispose of the ball without pressure.

Our ability to get our hands on the ball, create space and get a handball chain happening is top tier. Our spread is where we fall behind the better midfields.

We certainly need to work harder on getting the more effective clearance types, and I think more midfield minutes for the likes of Rozee will be key to that. We are short on dominant run and carry mids.

What it shows us is that even when dominant in some key stats, we still can't get results. These stats weve led have been talked about all summer as highlighting just how badly we failed last year. And the question remains what's going to happen if we aren't as dominant this year, that's the scary prospect facing us.

I think we're great at winning clearances, but I think the clearance stat is a bit of a junk stat, because there are two kinds of clearances. Pressured clearances that lead to a relatively uncontrolled jammed on the boot hack forward, and then effective "Robbie Gray" style clearances where you are able to get out of the traffic and dispose of the ball without pressure.

Our ability to get our hands on the ball, create space and get a handball chain happening is top tier. Our spread is where we fall behind the better midfields.

We certainly need to work harder on getting the more effective clearance types, and I think more midfield minutes for the likes of Rozee will be key to that. We are short on dominant run and carry mids.
Id love to see a stat on differential scores from clearances and centre clearances, I think we'll still be beaten, even after dominating the quantity of clearances. Teams were able to get such easy clearances and score so quickly against us, but for us like always it was a huge struggle to turn it into scores.

drew, Houston and rozee all look much cleaner with the ball out of a stoppage. Also atley at the level below has that ability, whether we see it at afl I don’t know.

In other words, we excel in having the ball and keeping it close to the goal, but we struggle to do anything meaningful with it. It sounds accurate...

If the opposition expects you to win the majority of clearances but not use the ball well then they're just going to set up behind the ball and focus on attacking via rebound. This is where we struggled the most (see GWS game) and why we could slaughter other teams like Essendon who don't naturally play a defensive style.

This is the problem of a stat like clearances - their significance is entirely dependent on how the opposition plays around them.

The way we overcome this is by being more effective going forward and not turning the ball over as much. If that happens teams will likely focus more on stopping our clearance game but our scoring efficiency will improve remarkably.

I remember the membere convention last year where Ollie Wines was used as the example of how we were going to power out of clearances and use our inside bulls to create time and space to generate quality clearances.

That worked well.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Wish the stats were spilt between moments where game in the balance or during critical phases V cheap stats when game iced or playing depleted opposition. I would be surprised if we ranked this highly. All these stats do is give Hinkley happy clappers another moment to masturbate, I mean clap.

Win the tough moments against best teams, then i will believe...

We're like the soccer team that has a really solid and dependable defence, looks neat and tidy passing the ball around and invariably dominate time in possession, but nobody sees them as a real threat because their strike power is poor and they hardly ever score.

Stats are interesting to read. Then you watch the games and you see 7-8 times that it was game over at 1/4 time as the score was 6.5 to 0.1 due to our midfield getting pantsed in 1st quarters every 2nd week and you think, well, where did that clearance differential get us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're like the soccer team that has a really solid and dependable defence, looks neat and tidy passing the ball around and invariably dominate time in possession, but nobody sees them as a real threat because their strike power is poor and they hardly ever score.
"Did you mean Grêmio?"

I think we're great at winning clearances, but I think the clearance stat is a bit of a junk stat, because there are two kinds of clearances.
100% this. Clearance stats are right up there with Inside 50's as a useless stat. No surprise we also 'dominate' Inside 50's for lack of goals as well.

I'd like to see a stat of winning Centre clearance % that results in a rebound 50 against. Given our shot gun clearances and woeful entry in the forward 50 I'd guess ours would be near league top (when you want as close to 0% as possible).

100% this. Clearance stats are right up there with Inside 50's as a useless stat. No surprise we also 'dominate' Inside 50's for lack of goals as well.

I'd like to see a stat of winning Centre clearance % that results in a rebound 50 against. Given our shot gun clearances and woeful entry in the forward 50 I'd guess ours would be near league top (when you want as close to 0% as possible).

Yep. I'd also like to see % of clearances where possession is retained after the first kick.

It's like we've gone full sabermetrics and decided that clearances and I50s are the most important stats to win and thrown common sense out the window. It's the only way to explain our forward strategy over the last half a decade.

AFL evolves so rapidly that you can't throw one part of your game out entirely to execute another. Teams will just figure you out and counter what you're doing.

Was going to respond the other day, but listening to Rick and Macca's podcast today, Macca talking to our skills, reinforced what I have been saying since I started the thread Can't Kick Can't Play Football in mid 2016.

Doesn't matter what Champion Data says we wont be a serious contender until we improve our skills, in particular kicking efficiency ( and effectiveness, but CD do a s**t house job at those qualitative skills) and conversion on goal.

Ken Hinkley doesn't talk about working smarter - just working harder. Doesn't matter if its dumb as long as its harder. He isn't going to change after 7 years. Neither will our senior players.

So unless the new recruits of the last 3 years, both draftees and experienced recruits get their hands on the ball it will be the same old same old. A couple of younger players who haven't played a lot the last 4-5 years or so can be also included in that lot.

Houston and Burton are great white hopes for me. Last year I called for Houston to go forward from defence and some people panicked and said leave him alone, don't take him out of defence and play him forward. I remember saying move him up the ground so he is passing the ball from 50-80m out rather than 120m out from our goal.

But serendipity struck and we had to play him in the middle after all those injuries. I didn't expect him to be moved in there, I just wanted him getting the ball closer to goal.

Get Burton up the ground like Houston and we might go inside 50 with precision kicks rather than bombs and kicking it to the bloody shithouse, like we tend to do too often with our I50 entries..

Yep. I'd also like to see % of clearances where possession is retained after the first kick.

If I was a coach or scout, and looking at a midfielder I would be asking for breakdown on clearance stats.

% of times the clearance results in a teammate gaining possession

% of times the clearance results in a teammate disposing of the ball to another teammate

% of clearances that end up in a shot on goal or rebound from opposition goal

Etc etc

All stats are just an indicator of a component of a game. There's no doubt that in the current AFL game style, clearances are important in terms of highlighting field position dominance.

We were a top I50 team and a top clearance team. The ability to win them, then lock it in is crucial in modern football. We do that well, it doesnt mean they're junk stats, it just highlights that we were absolutely diabolical with our use going forward, our exit quality from stoppage and our efficiency inside 50.

Those factors don't make the stat useless, they highlight it.

Clearance differential stats, absolutely have their place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back