News Champion Data ranks Richmond's midfield 4th in AFL ahead of 2017 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL’s official-number crunchers have delivered a glowing endorsement of the Magpies’ prime movers using a complex formula to asses each midfielder’s output over the past two years, in comparison to their peers.

Richmond’s midfield brigade also received a big tick, with the moves to pickup Josh Caddy, from Geelong, and Gold Coast hard nut Dion Prestia in the trade period lifting the Tigers’ 2017 midfield rating up to fourth.

Caddy, who averaged 1.2 goals per game last season, and Shane Edwards are both rated as elite as midfield-forwards.

After a dismal 2016 at Punt Rd, the favourable ratings suggest Richmond has the midfield arsenal to help outmuscle rivals next season, in what also promises to be a critical year for coach Damien Hardwick, after a clean-out of his assistant coaching staff.

The analysis factors in the effectiveness, impact and position of players’ possessions in the 2015-16 seasons.

It includes midfielders and midfield forwards, ranked separately.

CHAMPION DATA ranks the midfields for the 2017 season.

1 Collingwood

2 GWS Giants

3 Western Bulldogs

4 Richmond

5 Sydney

6 Port Adelaide

7 St Kilda

8 Geelong

9 West Coast

10 Fremantle

11 Adelaide

12 Hawthorn

13 Essendon

14 Gold Coast

15 Brisbane Lions

16 Carlton

17 North Melbourne

18 Melbourne

Link: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/0454702aa6527ac5461a7cabca9192bf

Collingwood's problem is that their entire list is pretty much made up of midfielders. Mids and wingers for days - KPP stocks very slim and real defenders / forwards also very slim.

Collingwood I agree with in the top 4. They do have a good midfield.

But Melbourne 18th?! Their midfield is one of the best in the competition. I think it is better than our midfield. Sydney's midfield is also better than our midfield. Sydney did lose midfield depth though, so we'll have to see if they can cover that to remain better than ours. I think they can cover Mitchell's loss easily.

I do think that our midfield is in the top 8 in the competition though, so having it high up makes sense to me. Maybe not that high, but high up nevertheless. Our KPP stocks are just not that great (and our forward line in general).

Collingwood’s midfield ranked the best in the AFL for 2017, Demons the worst
0454702aa6527ac5461a7cabca9192bf

JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
December 9, 2016 8:00pm
Subscriber only
0454702aa6527ac5461a7cabca9192bf

COLLINGWOOD coach Nathan Buckley will be armed with the game’s top-ranked midfield in his make-or-break 2017 season, according to Champion Data.

The AFL’s official-number crunchers have delivered a glowing endorsement of the Magpies’ prime movers using a complex formula to asses each midfielder’s output over the past two years, in comparison to their peers.

Led by superstar ballwinners Scott Pendlebury and Adam Treloar, the Pies have six top-end midfielders who are classified as elite or above average, bolstering claims Collingwood has the centre square setup to break its three-year finals drought next season.

PAY WARS: PLAYERS TO GILL: SHOW US SOME RESPECT

MONEY GAME: TAX WIN BUT HAWKS, PIES STILL PAY FOR POOR

PIE BLOW: CALF SETBACK STALLS WELLS’ PIES START

Buckley has already set the scene for a boom-or-bust 2017 campaign, saying late last season that he is ‘on the hook’ unless the Magpies make September next year.

Richmond’s midfield brigade also received a big tick, with the moves to pickup Josh Caddy, from Geelong, and Gold Coast hard nut Dion Prestia in the trade period lifting the Tigers’ 2017 midfield rating up to fourth.

94d29f3156eb0244821edcbcac2d7a1d

Scott Pendlebury (middle) with Taylor Adams and Adam Treloar make up Collingwood’s top midfield. Picture: Getty Images
Caddy, who averaged 1.2 goals per game last season, and Shane Edwards are both rated as elite as midfield-forwards.

After a dismal 2016 at Punt Rd, the favourable ratings suggest Richmond has the midfield arsenal to help outmuscle rivals next season, in what also promises to be a critical year for coach Damien Hardwick, after a clean-out of his assistant coaching staff.

But the controversial analysis is less kind on Melbourne.

Despite the big raps on the Demons’ young talent, Champion Data has ranked Melbourne’s midfield-forward outfit last.

It means the AFL’s top and bottom-ranked midfield units will clash when the Magpies and Demons meet in the traditional Queen’s Birthday blockbuster on June 12.

Melbourne has beaten Collingwood in its last three meetings.

According to the rankings which will be released as part of the 2017 Prospectus, Melbourne has six midfielders in the average range, including young star Jack Viney, captain Nathan Jones and ex-Hawthorn recruit Jordan Lewis.

But none are deemed above average or elite, based on their statistical output in the past two campaigns.

1a8c7cc0867128f330b8df959264cf5a

Josh Caddy has helped Richmond’s midfield ranking. Picture: Getty Images
Viney is Melbourne’s top-ranked midfielder at No.52 in Champion Data’s rankings, below Pendlebury (6) Treloar (13), Steele Sidebottom (28), Daniel Wells (38), Taylor Adams (41) and Jack Crisp (51).

The analysis factors in the effectiveness, impact and position of players’ possessions in the 2015-16 seasons.

It includes midfielders and midfield forwards, ranked separately.

Premiership favourite Greater Western Sydney is second in the midfield charts, with five players ranked above average for their position.

Elite status is saved for the top 10 per cent of each positional type.

Giants’ stars Dylan Shiel and Callan Ward sit right in the cusp of this group.

Reigning premier Western Bulldogs are third.

The Dogs have three midfielders ranked elite, the most of any club.

They are Marcus Bontempelli, Luke Dahlhaus and Mitch Wallis.

The Dogs’ overall rating is lowered by the ratings given to youngsters Lukas Webb, Bailey Dale and Mitch Honeychurch, who are all factored into the midfield brigade, after playing more than the required 10 games.

4e8a80b7180fbd8b1280d9014c3584c7

Champion Data ranks Melbourne’s midfield as the worst in the competition.
In another surprise, St Kilda’s emerging midfield group is ranked seventh, higher than Geelong (eighth), West Coast (ninth), Adelaide (11th) and Hawthorn (12th).

St Kilda’s favourable assessment is based on its breadth of established talent, with eight of their nine classified midfielders considered either above average or average, including top-ranked ballwinners Jack Steven, David Armitage and new recruit Koby Stevens.

Geelong’s rating highlights concerns surrounding its midfield depth.

Superstar duo Patrick Dangerfield and Joel Selwood are considered elite, but its six other rated midfielders are considered average or below average.

North Melbourne is ranked second-last. Onballer Ben Cunnington is the only Roo to receive an above average rating and none are elite.

MIDFIELD MIGHT

CHAMPION DATA ranks the midfields for the 2017 season.

1 Collingwood

2 GWS Giants

3 Western Bulldogs

4 Richmond

5 Sydney

6 Port Adelaide

7 St Kilda

8 Geelong

9 West Coast

10 Fremantle

11 Adelaide

12 Hawthorn

13 Essendon

14 Gold Coast

15 Brisbane Lions

16 Carlton

17 North Melbourne

18 Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies 1st
Tigers 4th
Port 6th

What these guys smoking ?

Just goes to show you stats are only one part of the story. I'm struggling to comprehend what relevance CD actually has in football apart from SuperCoach

Prior to the 2016 season, this was how the teams of each midfield was ranked using Champion Data:

1. Hawthorn
2. Fremantle
3. Sydney
4. Port Adelaide
5. Geelong
6. West Coast
7. Collingwood
8. North Melbourne
9. Richmond
10. Bulldogs
11. GWS
12. Adelaide
13. Brisbane
14. Gold Coast
15. Melbourne
16. St Kilda
17. Essendon
18. Carlton

This is not how I'd rate it at the end of the 2016 season, so I don't think a Champion Data rating like this prior to the 2017 season is something to go by as a good measure on how good a team's midfield is.

Champion data does not take into account the age profiles of the players. For instance, Pendlebury has seemingly been on a slight downhill run with form. Whether this is through injury or age remains to be seen. One thing is for sure, when you are old and you are injured, the injuries don't go away as quickly.
If you ignore age though, Melbourne's midfield will be one of the better ones I would have thought this year, with the addition of Lewis who is probably up there with the best in terms of big game players and the natural progression of Petracca, Viney and Brayshaw. Add in their captain Jones and Vince who are both more than handy and they bat deep too.

Prior to the 2016 season, this was how the teams of each midfield was ranked using Champion Data:
7. Collingwood
8. North Melbourne
9. Richmond
10. Bulldogs

This is not how I'd rate it at the end of the 2016 season, so I don't think a Champion Data rating like this prior to the 2017 season is something to go by as a good measure on how good a team's midfield is.
Ninth again! :mad: Cant they just let it go.

Might be 17 th but they have our number, same with Melbourne, shows his stupid statitsticsare
If we actually beat both of these knob outfits in 2017 I almost don't care about where we finish...

We owe them so many spankings and humiliations. :mad: :mad: :( :( :'( :'(

Champion data does not take into account the age profiles of the players. For instance, Pendlebury has seemingly been on a slight downhill run with form. Whether this is through injury or age remains to be seen. One thing is for sure, when you are old and you are injured, the injuries don't go away as quickly.
If you ignore age though, Melbourne's midfield will be one of the better ones I would have thought this year, with the addition of Lewis who is probably up there with the best in terms of big game players and the natural progression of Petracca, Viney and Brayshaw. Add in their captain Jones and Vince who are both more than handy and they bat deep too.

Agree - I think we're better positioned this year than last year to match them but I think they edge us in terms of talent. Hopefully we can get some improvement from tigger and CEllis - I hate losing to the AFLs second favourite team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back