Roast Champion Data Rates Geelong As the 3rd Worst Defence In The AFL!

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno if i want players rated only on how they attack otherwise what does that say for someone like Tom Lonergan or similar player whose job it is to stop goals not attack e.g Blics lets no one he is on score any goals this year but doesn't attack in anyway will he be rated below average?? with the player rating system yes he would. Which is bullshit if your opponent doesn't kick any or very few goals for the year you are elite.

They need to find a better way to rate 1%ers defensive spoils etc

This should be true for one to two players in the backline but our entire backline gets underrated because nobody does the attacking which is kind of the point.

I'd put Stewart and Blicavs in the good/elite category but the stats do tell a story.

Stewart absolutely sh*ts on Blicavs as a defender. He's one of the premier defenders in the competition.
Blicavs is satisfactory but you'd still take Taylor over him even at Harry's age.

Completely disagree with Harry vs Blicavs. Harry gets routinely burnt by quick forwards on a lead now. He needs to be protected. Blicavs does a mountain of work patrolling the last line of defense and plays a role very few could in the entire AFL have the capacity to do.

IMO Blicavs is massively underrated.

Completely disagree with Harry vs Blicavs. Harry gets routinely burnt by quick forwards on a lead now. He needs to be protected. Blicavs does a mountain of work patrolling the last line of defense and plays a role very few could in the entire AFL have the capacity to do.

IMO Blicavs is massively underrated.

Mostly only by fans of his own club, though.

His rightful inclusion in the AA squad last year was clear evidence that most objective judges actually see him as a very valuable asset in any team's defensive group.

Blicavs as a pure defender is very good, I believe he lacks a little bit of that natural defensive aptitude like Harry does, you know the innate ability to always spoil to the boundary, to always know where the goal line is, to always feel where your opponent is and ability to not get stuck with the ball. It's a small difference though, nothing seriously.

HOWEVER, his ability to fill all those other roles is massively over-rated, he gets torched on the wing, he's no better than a serviceable ruckman and only against average rucks, and he has no other ability to play through the middle.
He's a defender 100%, and ONLY a defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back