Roast Champion Data Rates Geelong As the 3rd Worst Defence In The AFL!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think their statistical model is flawed. They’ve used defending, intercepting and rebounding as variables but it seems like they haven’t weighted them, i.e. they regard all three as equally important. I’d argue defending is more important than the other two and should be more heavily weighted, which would see us higher up the rankings.

Fair enough for the people in here saying we don’t rebound, but does that make us the 3rd worst defence in the comp? Please.

I think their statistical model is flawed. They’ve used defending, intercepting and rebounding as variables but it seems like they haven’t weighted them, i.e. they regard all three as equally important. I’d argue defending is more important than the other two and should be more heavily weighted, which would see us higher up the rankings.

Fair enough for the people in here saying we don’t rebound, but does that make us the 3rd worst defence in the comp? Please.
Is it fair enough?
My observation is we create plenty of rebound.
Stewart, O'Connor, Clark, Tuohy, Henry most notably.

So champion data are saying the ranks aren't based of system how a team performs together etc

In other words North has the best midfielders ever but come game day they are all completely stupid on how to work as a team??? :cool:

and yes i am aware i am being stupid:p

Is it fair enough?
My observation is we create plenty of rebound.
Stewart, O'Connor, Clark, Tuohy, Henry most notably.
I like Henry I believe he will be 200 gamer minimum,O'Connor is a work in progress,but if we are talking plenty of rebound it's not those two, they are in meters gained behind even Henderson and Bews then comes even further back Taylor Blitz and Kolo.So it's Stewart, Tuohy and Clark if you still want to call him a backman that give us drive from the defensive players,I'd add Duncan as well.

Maybe Champion Data have fallen into the trap of so many opposition fans and seen Geelong as a 3 man team (Gaz, Danger and Selwood) and rated our defence accordingly.
Maybe Blitz, Henderson and Kolo aren't counted as defenders as they generally play the most important games up the ground.
That's fair enough.

Just received the AFL Prospectus. This is their rationale:

Let's look at the players who occupy these defensive positions. Mark Blicavs, Harry Taylor, Zach Tuohy, Tom Stewart, Jack Henry, Jake Kolodjashnij, Jed Bews and Mark O'Connor. Harry Taylor rates above average in our list, but the rest rate average or below average. They are not great attacking or intercepting defenders, so the individual players find it difficult to generate ranking points. These ratings land with Geelong's midfielders and wingers pushing back to help generate the ball movement out of defence. The main takeaway from this shouldn't be that Geelong have a poor defence, but rather that Geelong does most of its defending with ball in hand up the ground. They ranked 13th for intercepts in defensive 50 in 2019 and 16th for scores from these intercepts.

Nearly fell off my couch when I saw they ranked Tom Stewart as below average though, despite the fact he averages more possessions and metres gained than the AFL average for general defenders, and was the only player in the top 100 for contests defended not to be outmarked.

Nearly fell off my couch when I saw they ranked Tom Stewart as below average though, despite the fact he averages more possessions and metres gained than the AFL average for general defenders, and was the only player in the top 100 for contests defended not to be outmarked.
My god they just keep getting more *ed how do they not rate Stewart elite and even Blics has to be close to elite or at least above average The more i see from them the more i think they rate players solely on attacking potential e.g disposals and meters gained.

So, what that is actually saying is: "Because Geelong are so good at defending, they are s**t at defending."

My god they just keep getting more ******ed how do they not rate Stewart elite and even Blics has to be close to elite or at least above average The more i see from them the more i think they rate players solely on attacking potential e.g disposals and meters gained.

This from Stewart's profile in the Prospectus:

Stewart is a difficult player to assess, rating elite for Champion Data ranking points per game, but below average for AFL Player Rating points last season.

So is he elite or below average? Make up your bloody minds Champion Data!!

HAHAHA the just contradicted themselves within your 2 posts

(Harry Taylor rates above average in our list, but the rest rate average or below average)
(Stewart is a difficult player to assess, rating elite for Champion Data ranking points per game)

They don't even know how to rate players using the system they created lol

HAHAHA the just contradicted themselves within your 2 posts

(Harry Taylor rates above average in our list, but the rest rate average or below average)
(Stewart is a difficult player to assess, rating elite for Champion Data ranking points per game)

They don't even know how to rate players using the system they created lol

Actually, flicking through, it seems they've changed the way they rate players from using Champion Data ranking points, to the AFL Player Rating points, which seem to be related to how attacking and accurate the player's ball use is rather than how effective they are at their role, which IMO would be a better way of ranking players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, flicking through, it seems they've changed the way they rate players from using Champion Data ranking points, to the AFL Player Rating points, which seem to be related to how attacking and accurate the player's ball use is rather than how effective they are at their role, which IMO would be a better way of ranking players.
I dunno if i want players rated only on how they attack otherwise what does that say for someone like Tom Lonergan or similar player whose job it is to stop goals not attack e.g Blics lets no one he is on score any goals this year but doesn't attack in anyway will he be rated below average?? with the player rating system yes he would. Which is bullshit if your opponent doesn't kick any or very few goals for the year you are elite.

They need to find a better way to rate 1%ers defensive spoils etc

He often gets rated low or very low on the AFL Player Ratings when he is in the best 3 or 4 players on the ground.

This is because their algorithms are outdated and don't reflect or match what actually happens on a footy ground.

I'd put Stewart and Blicavs in the good/elite category but the stats do tell a story.

Our current backline is filled with dour stoppers and as a group they create too little. It's a far cry from our premiership era where we had Scarlett, Hunt, Wojak, Enright and Mackie who were a mixture of elite kicks, runners and decision makers on the ball. IMO we need to rethink the entire structure and way the defence plays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back