Remove this Banner Ad

You say that, we had the 2nd easiest group and haven't played 1 good game in it. Monaco got whipped by us at home last season so either they've improved a lot since then (and if so why haven't we) or we've regressed. Which is it?
They've definitely improved. Very good chance to win Ligue 1.

Beginning of the campaign looked second or third easiest but that was when everyone thought Monaco were avg. They've been very good in their domestic comp and in the CL this season. The Leverkusen loss is the one that killed us

Doctor Gero

JV since the 10/11.
90 mins in a friendly in a back 3, 90 mins in a qualifier in a back 3, 90 mins at CB on the weekend & looks like 90 mins at LB this Saturday.

4 full games 3 of which he'd be venturing forward a bit more than usual. Not sure he'd have it in him to play today.

If we chose today over Saturday we'd have to play Trippier at LB and we saw what he could do tonight against quality in his natural position lol

Yes, yes. Moved on from Jan.

This harks back to Dortmund away. I said then it was a wake up call. This was the calibre team that we'd meet in the principal European competition and that it showed our depth to be inadequate for that competition. I harked all transfer window about our signings.

All I see are chickens that have come home to roost.

Yes, yes. Moved on from Jan.

This harks back to Dortmund away. I said then it was a wake up call. This was the calibre team that we'd meet in the principal European competition and that it showed our depth to be inadequate for that competition. I harked all transfer window about our signings.

All I see are chickens that have come home to roost.
We definitely aren't good enough to be definite qualifiers from our CL group.... Yet

Difference is you think we should make the QF right now with this young squad + fantasy signings. For whatever reason Poch and the club didn't make them and for now I believe we genuinely can't afford to make them. Or Poch and the club is happy with baby steps in Europe's elite comp. either way he's done enough to warrant making that call for me

We definitely aren't good enough to be definite qualifiers from our CL group.... Yet

Difference is you think we should make the QF right now with this young squad + fantasy signings. For whatever reason Poch and the club didn't make them and for now I believe we genuinely can't afford to make them. Or Poch and the club is happy with baby steps in Europe's elite comp. either way he's done enough to warrant making that call for me

Who said anything about fantasy signings. Unwilling to spend 30m on Batsyuahi..... spend it on Sissoko... then play him not in CM. sell Chadli but downgrade somehow.

I never said QF, we made that last time because Bale saved our arse in that 2nd half at the San Siro. That being said, we simply should be getting out of this group.

Who said anything about fantasy signings. Unwilling to spend 30m on Batsyuahi..... spend it on Sissoko... then play him not in CM. sell Chadli but downgrade somehow.

I never said QF, we made that last time because Bale saved our arse in that 2nd half at the San Siro. That being said, we simply should be getting out of this group.
Batsyuahi wasn't the transfer fee that stopped pursuing the deal according to things I've read.

We were targeting someone to just be a backup to Kane hence the Preston NE man. Bats and his advisors in the summer saw Chelsea being a way to get first team minutes easier. In hindsight both us and his advisors have egg on their faces after the injury to Kane and Costa's return to world class form but back in June/July that wasn't to be known

They've definitely improved. Very good chance to win Ligue 1.

Beginning of the campaign looked second or third easiest but that was when everyone thought Monaco were avg. They've been very good in their domestic comp and in the CL this season. The Leverkusen loss is the one that killed us

Monaco are fantastic, a lot of good youth. Really rate their fullbacks.

Really happy with the game today despite the 4 goals conceded
- makeshift defence was garbage.
- Passlack so much more comfortable on the right and in a more advanced position has a knack of being in the right spot right time and got his goal.
- So happy Kagawa and Sahin got game time and goals both looked very good.
- Reus returns and gets his hattrick :):)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine commiserations to the Spurs fans.

But I'd be lying if I said I felt sorry for Mercenary Moussa. Glad he got to live out his dream. :p
CkbJwDbUoAATk5w.jpg

Yeah Leverkusen are great also, no shame in losing to them.
It's the same thing English sides and supporters have always fallen into the trap of, underestimating how good European opponents are. Mainly because they don't see week in week out or don't have better ratings on FIFA. It's an arrogant ignorant way of looking at continental sides especially in the CL.

The only "easy" games come against Danish, Belgian, Austrian or obscure leagues. The Dutch French and German leagues may not have the money but it doesn't mean they don't have the talent on and off the pitch to beat English sides

Wow 8-4 scoreline this morning for Dortmund!!! It's great that Reus is back and already scoring goals. Dembele, Pulisic and Kagawa were brilliant too!!
Don't want to talk about the defending it was nowhere to be seen lol!!

Batsyuahi wasn't the transfer fee that stopped pursuing the deal according to things I've read.

We were targeting someone to just be a backup to Kane hence the Preston NE man. Bats and his advisors in the summer saw Chelsea being a way to get first team minutes easier. In hindsight both us and his advisors have egg on their faces after the injury to Kane and Costa's return to world class form but back in June/July that wasn't to be known

After defeat this morning, MP:
“Maybe we did not show enough quality in five games to be competitive in the Premier League, and be unbeaten like we are, and also compete in the Champions League. It is good for us to learn - next season if we are in the Champions League maybe we need to make some changes."

“It was a good challenge for us to compete and show our real level. That is always important. After two-and-a-half years we have closed the gap at the top of the Premier League and that was the objective."

“But to be competitive in the Champions League we need to show more and add more quality into our squad.

“We feel bad now, maybe disappointed, but tomorrow is another day and we need to compete against Chelsea on Saturday."

Absolute shame it took defeat and elimination from the competition to see what many saw last season at Dortmund.

After defeat this morning, MP:
“Maybe we did not show enough quality in five games to be competitive in the Premier League, and be unbeaten like we are, and also compete in the Champions League. It is good for us to learn - next season if we are in the Champions League maybe we need to make some changes."

“It was a good challenge for us to compete and show our real level. That is always important. After two-and-a-half years we have closed the gap at the top of the Premier League and that was the objective."

“But to be competitive in the Champions League we need to show more and add more quality into our squad.

“We feel bad now, maybe disappointed, but tomorrow is another day and we need to compete against Chelsea on Saturday."

Absolute shame it took defeat and elimination from the competition to see what many saw last season at Dortmund.
Rome wasn't built in a day. As good as the turnaround has been from being always short of 4th to now being part of a very close top 5 that can achieve top 2-3 finishes, doing that and finding CL football easy is too much for even Poch

Last edited:
Rome wasn't built in a day. As good as the turnaround has been from being always short of 4th to now being part of a very close top 5 that can achieve top 2-3 finishes, doing that and finding CL football easy is too much for even Poch
The Wembley thing shouldn't be totally discounted, but I just think we are hiding behind excuses and that's masking the real problem. Despite being unbeaten we are simply not playing as well as we did last season. Barring the City game and perhaps one or two others like Stoke away, I can't think of many times we've looked convincing. Too many players falling short from their form of last season. The defending has improved though.

Big game for us now at the weekend. We need a performance at least equal to the City one to stand a chance

The Wembley thing shouldn't be totally discounted, but I just think we are hiding behind excuses and that's masking the real problem. Despite being unbeaten we are simply not playing as well as we did last season. Barring the City game and perhaps one or two others like Stoke away, I can't think of many times we've looked convincing. Too many players falling short from their form of last season. The defending has improved though.

Big game for us now at the weekend. We need a performance at least equal to the City one to stand a chance
There's a range of factors with why we've been slightly off this season. Our depth simply isn't title contending depth. Last season it wasn't overly needed. So far this season we've played just 1 game with our best GK, DEF, MID & ST all in the team together. That presented opportunity but Dier, Janssen & Eriksen just didn't take it

Well, what can I say? 15/16 the first half, 16/17 the second half.

You know something, they say Zieler is as good a keeper as Kasper, if not better... Frankly, I don't see it. That was a crap goal to concede, and it just invited unnecessary pressure.

I'm glad we're going into the knockouts as the to seed (as should be the case when you're first seed), but it certainly looks like a lot of quality is awaiting us as the next stage.

We need to improve our form if we really want a longer stay in the CL, because as things stand, it'll certainly be our last for now.

There's a range of factors with why we've been slightly off this season. Our depth simply isn't title contending depth. Last season it wasn't overly needed. So far this season we've played just 1 game with our best GK, DEF, MID & ST all in the team together. That presented opportunity but Dier, Janssen & Eriksen just didn't take it

Levy needs to open his wallet if he wants to be able to compete in the CL and EPL at the same time.

Seemed a bit weird to me you are resting players from the UCL for the league when the whole point of getting into the top 4 is to try and win the UCL the next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back