Remove this Banner Ad

go you pups not even Marcotti, a spurs fan, could defend him.

I really couldn't give two hoots about CL this year mate, or to be honest before the new stadium is finished

Was clear there wasn't going to be enough investment in the squad to challenge on all fronts plus the injuries we are getting currently haven't helped.

What the whole squad needs is a decent rest, won't happen until June/July though but will it be long enough? Has Levy planned more post-season/off-season cash grabs etc?

Retaining our best players is crucial, but we need upgrades in attacking midfield and out on the wings

I really couldn't give two hoots about CL this year mate, or to be honest before the new stadium is finished

Was clear there wasn't going to be enough investment in the squad to challenge on all fronts plus the injuries we are getting currently haven't helped.

What the whole squad needs is a decent rest, won't happen until June/July though but will it be long enough? Has Levy planned more post-season/off-season cash grabs etc?
Of course there wasn't enough investment. We both knew that September 1 when the deadline hit. That said they raise a good point and makes me wonder what we stand for under this management. We're resting to prioritise the league to finish high enough to then qualify for it again next season. Baffling.

If that's the aim, the primary aim and we have tunnel vision for that aim then fine, I can accept tanking the FA and EFL Cups but not this competition otherwise why bother finishing top 4 and competing in the competition?

Why not just finish 7th have no Europe and assault the league the following year

Of course there wasn't enough investment. We both knew that September 1 when the deadline hit. That said they raise a good point and makes me wonder what we stand for under this management. We're resting to prioritise the league to finish high enough to then qualify for it again next season. Baffling.

If that's the aim, the primary aim and we have tunnel vision for that aim then fine, I can accept tanking the FA and EFL Cups but not this competition otherwise why bother finishing top 4 and competing in the competition?

Why not just finish 7th have no Europe and assault the league the following year
$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$
If that's all that we value then we might as well bring on the QIA ownership then.
I'm sorry, but playing dead ad waving the white flag in CL is unacceptable. Black mark for Poch.

If that's all that we value then we might as well bring on the QIA ownership then.
I'm sorry, but playing dead ad waving the white flag in CL is unacceptable. Black mark for Poch.
Not sure why you're getting all fired up for mate

These things don't surprise me at all watching Spuds over the years

Us beating Chavski on the weekend would surprise me though

It makes perfect sense. When are you going to realise. We are just an investment for ENIC

They want to yield the biggest return possible and that's by being in the CL with a new stadium whilst pumping in as little money as possible outside the stadium costs. When the owners name is something something Investment Company they're going to be thinking about quite a few non football matters with how the club is run.

Goes back to the reasons arry was sacked (allegedly). He was no more than a stop gap when we were struggling. Did what was needed to recover from the manager before him. Then exceeded expectations making CL and he thought he could take the team even further with more money. But that's not how ENIC operate and despite being constantly up there under him the return on investment when the money comes from elsewhere wouldn't be as high.

Sounds horrific. But considering we were as much of a non-factor as the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich when they took over we've just gotta go with "their" plan. What makes me sick is they spiel the old quote "the game is about glory" as our motto but that's just marketing for ENIC. It should be "the game is about maximising our return on investment"

Not sure why you're getting all fired up for mate

These things don't surprise me at all watching Spuds over the years

Us beating Chavski on the weekend would surprise me though
I'm calm. Mango sorbet, a couple of cold one's while watching test cricket. I couldn't be calmer.
I just don't accept less than we should or could be achieving. There are no excuses that are valid for Walker and Vertonghen not to start on Wednesday. If they're declared fit enough for the bench then they start a must win game.

I'm calm. Mango sorbet, a couple of cold one's while watching test cricket. I couldn't be calmer.
I just don't accept less than we should or could be achieving. There are no excuses that are valid for Walker and Vertonghen not to start on Wednesday. If they're declared fit enough for the bench then they start a must win game.
Vertonghen might be fit for the bench but not fit for 90 mins and then 90 again a few days later. After playing 2 internationals and then the west ham game I thought this was easy to work out

Yeah but you assume that Levy cares more about Spurs winning than his ROI. Reckon he loves the gooner model.

Yeah but you assume that Levy cares more about Spurs winning than his ROI. Reckon he loves the gooner model.
100%

He is an employee of the company that owns us. Nothing more than that. Gave up full hope for the two "fans" Joe Lewis & Levy doing what's best for the trophy cabinet the very window they sold Bale just a month or so after ensuring there'd be investment for AVB whilst keeping Bale.

100%

He is an employee of the company that owns us. Nothing more than that. Gave up full hope for the two "fans" Joe Lewis & Levy doing what's best for the trophy cabinet the very window they sold Bale just a month or so after ensuring there'd be investment for AVB whilst keeping Bale.
I gave up in January that year when we went into the final stretch with just Ade, Defoe, Bale, Lennon, Dempsey and Siggy

We needed a point of difference upfront, didn't happen, Arse pipped us for 4th with Chavski just ahead of them 74-73-72 points IIRC

Shades of this season with another striker or wide attacker needed imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It makes perfect sense. When are you going to realise. We are just an investment for ENIC

They want to yield the biggest return possible and that's by being in the CL with a new stadium whilst pumping in as little money as possible outside the stadium costs. When the owners name is something something Investment Company they're going to be thinking about quite a few non football matters with how the club is run.

Goes back to the reasons arry was sacked (allegedly). He was no more than a stop gap when we were struggling. Did what was needed to recover from the manager before him. Then exceeded expectations making CL and he thought he could take the team even further with more money. But that's not how ENIC operate and despite being constantly up there under him the return on investment when the money comes from elsewhere wouldn't be as high.

Sounds horrific. But considering we were as much of a non-factor as the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich when they took over we've just gotta go with "their" plan. What makes me sick is they spiel the old quote "the game is about glory" as our motto but that's just marketing for ENIC. It should be "the game is about maximising our return on investment"

The last time we had this discussion I gave the same answer. If that's Levy's only motivating factor then I'll sign a petition demanding new ownership.
Football is about winning stuff ultimately. I can accept spending less than other clubs, I can accept tanking the odd domestic cup. That said I am becoming disillusioned with an administration that seems non-fussed that we've won 2 trophies in a generation.

I can tolerate going out of the CL because it's a hard competition. In fact:

All of the following teams were eliminated at this stage once in their first two appearances:

Manchester United
Newcastle United
Leeds United
Liverpool

The following team was eliminated at this stage in their only appearance:
Blackburn Rovers
The following team was eliminated at this stage in BOTH their first two appearances:
Arsenal.
The only to not fail is Chelsea.

Also, the last 6 years failing to get out of the group:
Juventus
Atletico
Liverpool (twice)
Manchester City
Manchester United (twice)
Chelsea
Porto (twice)

So I'm under no illusions it's a harder competition, one that we were inadequately prepared for.
What I don't accept is a 2nd string defence in a must win game.

Vertonghen might be fit for the bench but not fit for 90 mins and then 90 again a few days later. After playing 2 internationals and then the west ham game I thought this was easy to work out
* Chelsea, we could well lose with him playing. UCL must win>>> Chavs in the league.
He had to play. Ditto Walker. No ifs or buts about it.

JV against Monaco also doesn't get us 3 points. Him not there against Chelsea definitely means we get 0.

Walker I agree. He had to play because at the very least we'd have Trippier or Dier who could play RB if he wasn't able to double up

Anyone who reckons Levy doesn't care about spurs is wrong. The bloke follows the club week in week out. To say it's just about an investment is cynical BS.

The last time we had this discussion I gave the same answer. If that's Levy's only motivating factor then I'll sign a petition demanding new ownership.
Football is about winning stuff ultimately. I can accept spending less than other clubs, I can accept tanking the odd domestic cup. That said I am becoming disillusioned with an administration that seems non-fussed that we've won 2 trophies in a generation.

I can tolerate going out of the CL because it's a hard competition. In fact:

All of the following teams were eliminated at this stage once in their first two appearances:

Manchester United
Newcastle United
Leeds United
Liverpool

The following team was eliminated at this stage in their only appearance:
Blackburn Rovers
The following team was eliminated at this stage in BOTH their first two appearances:
Arsenal.
The only to not fail is Chelsea.

Also, the last 6 years failing to get out of the group:
Juventus
Atletico
Liverpool (twice)
Manchester City
Manchester United (twice)
Chelsea
Porto (twice)

So I'm under no illusions it's a harder competition, one that we were inadequately prepared for.
What I don't accept is a 2nd string defence in a must win game.

**** Chelsea, we could well lose with him playing. UCL must win>>> Chavs in the league.
He had to play. Ditto Walker. No ifs or buts about it.

I think you've got the dubious honour of being the only club to be eliminated before the last match day though.

Good to see us showing solidarity for Brexit. ;)
Tank and finish 4th, Poch will just treat the EL knockout with contempt anyway.

If you're not going to respect the CL then why do we deserve EL?

Him treating cup competitions as friendlies has got to stop. I can understand the league cup... but Europe and FA Cup. o_O

Must win game and he goes 2nd string and experiments with the formation. Not good enough.
Ill never understand it. You fight so hard for top four and the reward of Champions League football then you dont even respect the competition. So what was the point in fighting so hard for top four?

So last group stage matches begin tomorrow morning, bolded are TV games:

Wednesday:

Group A: Top 2 have qualified, top spot and Europa League spot still TBC

Basel v Arsenal (Q) (BEIN)
PSG (Q) v Ludrogets

Group B: Most interesting group, no guaranteed qualifiers yet, 3 way battle for 2 spots between Benfica, Napoli and Besiktas. Dynamo out of it.

Benfica v Napoli (SBS)
Dynamo Kiev v Besiktas

Group C: Done deal, Barca will finish top and City 2nd. Gladbach Europa

Man City (Q) v Celtic (BEIN)
Monchengladbach v Barca (Q)

Group D: Done deal, Atletico will finish top, Bayern 2nd, FC Rostov Europa

PSV v Rostov
Bayern (Q) v Atletico (Q) (BEIN)

Thursday:

Group E: Monaco will finish top, Leverkusen 2nd, between Spurs and CSKA Moscow for the Europa spot

Tottenham v CSKA Moscow (BEIN)
Leverkusen (Q) v Monaco (Q)

Group F: Top 2 qualified, winner of Madrid-Dortmund will top the group, draw means Dortmund finish top. Sporting v Legia for Europa

Legia v Sporting
Madrid (Q) v Dortmund (Q) (BEIN)

Group G: Leicester will top the group. Porto and FC Copenhagen still in the race for 2nd with advantage Porto. Brugge out of it with 0 points

Porto v Leicester (Q) (BEIN)
Brugge v FC Copenhagen

Group H: Juve should secure the group win against Zagreb, Sevilla waiting in the wings if they slip up although Lyon can still catch them for 2nd.

Juventus (Q) v Dinamo Zagreb
Lyon v Sevilla

Is it weird to think I have more interest in the other games than the Porto game just purely on the basis I need to know who finishes 2nd and knowing that Porto will certainly get the win knowing what is on the line and the fact we haven't been playing good, and likely won't this time because we're already though (although I think we'll try to get at least a draw to go undefeated?)

I'm really hoping these guys treat the Porto game as practice for City, and don't mess about, because seriously, we need to get our act together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back