Remove this Banner Ad

Guess that's the benefit of being Pot A.
beside the point.
The claim was that "Only Spurs can get a Europa League draw in the CL"

That was what was being refuted.
Not whether they deserved it nor the implications Pot 1 played in that.

At the rate everyone else was going, one would think the EL was tougher with the bigger names.

No respectability for the likes of Porto. I especially like the bit how Porto is dismissed as a mere 'Europa League' team despite being regulars in the CL.

Let's be honest, people here would rate Roma better than Porto, despite the fact they would've been the worst team in Pot 3 had they won instead, and could've been a Pot 4 team. 3 wins in their last 20 should tell you all you need to know about them. Heck, they're a Pot 2 team in the EL. Salzburg and Braga (another Portuguese team) have better co-efficients.

At the rate everyone else was going, one would think the EL was tougher with the bigger names.

No respectability for the likes of Porto. I especially like the bit how Porto is dismissed as a mere 'Europa League' team despite being regulars in the CL.

Let's be honest, people here would rate Roma better than Porto, despite the fact they would've been the worst team in Pot 3 had they won instead, and could've been a Pot 4 team. 3 wins in their last 20 should tell you all you need to know about them. Heck, they're a Pot 2 team in the EL. Salzburg and Braga (another Portuguese team) have better co-efficients.
Porto have not been the same since Falcao, Hulk, Moutinho, James etc left

Sure they qualify for CL every year, but it is because their domestic league is weak as pi55. Benfica are a much better team than them imo

Not the best draw for us. All a bit same old ssme old.

Played Barca 4 times in the last 3 years. BM last year in the groups. Celtic will be interesting, but was quite liking Rodgers being out of sight out of mind.

Havent had too much luck with our pot 1 teams. Bayern 3 times,,Madrid, Barca and Juve in the last 6 years. Wouldn't mind a soft draw every now and then.

Predictions (In order of place)

Group A: PSG, Arsenal, Basel, Ludogorets
Group B: Napoli, Benfica, Besiktas, Kyiv
Group C: Barca, Man City, Gladbach, Celtic
Group D: Bayern, Atletico, PSV, Rostov
Group E: Leverkusen, Spurs, Monaco, CSKA Moskva
Group F: Real, Dortmund, Sporting, Legia
Group G: Porto, Leicester, Brugge, Kobenhavn
Group H: Juventus, Lyon, Sevilla, Dinamo Zagreb
Some real good groups in there I reckon

Not a lot splitting the teams you have in 2nd and 3rd in A, B, E, F, G & H. 6 groups with at least sides who are a real chance to finish top 2

Not the best draw for us. All a bit same old ssme old.

Played Barca 4 times in the last 3 years. BM last year in the groups. Celtic will be interesting, but was quite liking Rodgers being out of sight out of mind.

Havent had too much luck with our pot 1 teams. Bayern 3 times,,Madrid, Barca and Juve in the last 6 years. Wouldn't mind a soft draw every now and then.

Moenchengladbach & Celtic is a soft draw in the group stages. With all the players you have signed in the last 2 years you should be pushing Barca all the way for top spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also this

A new four-pillar financial distribution system (starting fee, performance in the competition, individual club coefficient and market pool) will see sporting performances better rewarded, while market pool share will decrease.

This is huge.

Clubs with a higher co-efficient don't deserve more money than clubs breaking into the champions league. Especially given past history is going to be a factor in co-efficient.

Disgusting.

Moenchengladbach & Celtic is a soft draw in the group stages. With all the players you have signed in the last 2 years you should be pushing Barca all the way for top spot.

BM is probably the toughest fixture we could have from pot 3, Celtic probably the toughest from pot 4.

ah joy, the system being put in place for those who havent changed with the times, even after in the past the changing of the times benefited them which allowed them to become powers to begin with.

pathetic pandering to clubs that we pretend still matter.

well said

Would have preferred a Dortmund or something but can't complain. Hopefully we make it through!
Believe it or not, most betting sites have us as either favourites or joint favourites to win the group (even more so if Slimani is confirmed, he terrorises Porto).

Just remember this: About 18 months ago, we lost to Spurs and we were all but relegated at the bottom of the table. Now we're favourites to win our Group... in the Champions League.

Funny thing, football.

Believe it or not, most betting sites have us as either favourites or joint favourites to win the group (even more so if Slimani is confirmed, he terrorises Porto).

Just remember this: About 18 months ago, we lost to Spurs and we were all but relegated at the bottom of the table. Now we're favourites to win our Group... in the Champions League.

Funny thing, football.
Funnily enough, that doesn't surprise me. I'd be very disappointed if we didn't make it through that group.

Funnily enough, that doesn't surprise me. I'd be very disappointed if we didn't make it through that group.

After seeing the group, me too.

Say, curious question... do you think our recent splurge has anything to do with our group? Because we actually look a proper shot of progressing, possibly as the winners, and we might get decent opposition in the R16 and actually might think further?

I mean, should the transfers go as planned, we've built ourselves some very nice depth now (defence probably the only lacking area).

After seeing the group, me too.

Say, curious question... do you think our recent splurge has anything to do with our group? Because we actually look a proper shot of progressing, possibly as the winners, and we might get decent opposition in the R16 and actually might think further?

I mean, should the transfers go as planned, we've built ourselves some very nice depth now (defence probably the only lacking area).
I've seen comments on our group being directly responsible for the big splurge. Whether that's true or not I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back