Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
******* love this weekend on the NFL calendar. Many great memories and epic games spring to mind and it recaptures that magical feel for me of years gone by. Good years. Good times, like now.

It was only a year ago where we almost saw an improbable, unexpected win by the Jaguars playing away against the mighty New England Patriots at Foxborough Stadium. We should have really saw the Jags pull of a major boil over and make a surprise run to the Super Bowl if not for some pathetic referring by the men in Black and White. In the other Tie the Philadelphia Eagles missing their first choice Quarter Back put a whipping on the Minnesota Vikings who were expected to put on a much better showing.

2015/16 and we once again saw the great rivalry reunite where Manning took on Brady and the Patriots in Denver. Manning got the job done in a close encounter, Denver winning by two points.

2014/15 and one of the most freakish, miraculous and stunning come backs I have ever witnessed, particularly in a playoff game. A Championship game.

Early in the fourth quarter, a 32-yard burst by Packers running back James Starks sparked a 57-yard drive that ended with Crosby's 48-yard field goal, putting Green Bay up 19–7. Green Bay seemed in control of the game now, especially when Wilson threw a pass that bounced out the hands of Kearse and was intercepted by Burnett. Though Burnett surprisingly chose to slide down despite having plenty of room to return the ball, he had given Green Bay a first down on their own 43-yard line with just over 5 minutes left in the game. However, Seattle's defense made a crucial stand. Three carries by Eddie Lacy resulted in a tackle by Kevin Williamsfor a 4-yard loss, a tackle by Michael Bennett for a 2-yard loss, and a 2-yard gain. Green Bay had forced Seattle to use two timeouts, but they punted the ball back after running just 1:12 off the clock. Taking the ball back on their 31-yard line with 3:52 left, Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch started the drive with a 14-yard run. Then Wilson hooked up with Baldwin for a 20-yard completion, and later connected with Lynch for a 26-yard gain. Two plays later, Wilson scored on a 1-yard touchdown run, trimming Green Bay's lead to 19–14.[32]

With 2:09 and one timeout remaining, Seattle decided to attempt an onside kick. Steven Hauschka's kick went up in the air and straight to Packers tight end Brandon Bostick. However, Bostick was unable to make the catch and the ball bounced off his helmet, going right into the arms of Seattle receiver Chris Matthews to give the Seahawks a first down at midfield. From there it took just four plays to score on Lynch's 24-yard touchdown run with 1:25 remaining on the clock. On the subsequent 2-point conversion play, Wilson was flushed out of the pocket, forced to run backwards and to the right sideline. Just before being hit, he launched a high floating pass from the 17-yard line to the opposite side of the field. Tight end Luke Willson, who had not been assigned to do anything except block on the play, caught Wilson's pass at the 1-yard line and took the ball into the end zone to give the Seahawks a 22–19 lead. After the kickoff, Rodgers completed a pair of 15-yard passes to Cobb and Jordy Nelson. Then he scrambled 12 yards to the Seahawks' 36-yard line. Following two incompletions and a 6-yard toss to Nelson, Crosby kicked his fifth field goal of the day, tying the score at 22–22 with 14 seconds left on the clock and sending the game into overtime.[33]

Seattle won the coin toss and started overtime backed up on their own 13-yard line. After driving to the 30-yard line, they found themselves facing third and 6. Wilson took the snap and fired a pass to Baldwin, who broke ahead of defensive back Casey Hayward on a streak pattern down the right sideline and hauled in the catch for a 35-yard gain to the Packers' 35-yard line. On the next play, Wilson launched a nearly identical pass to Jermaine Kearse, who was running straight down the middle of the field. Kearse was tightly covered by Tramon Williams, but managed to pull ahead of him just enough to make the catch for a 35-yard touchdown reception, sending Seattle to their third Super Bowl in franchise history.[34] This was Kearse's only catch of the game. Prior to this, he had been targeted five times by Wilson, four of those five attempts had been intercepted.[35]

2013/14 and the 49ers travelled to Seattle a year after the 9ers lost a heart breaker to the Ravens in a classic Super Bowl match up. The 9ers got out to an early 10 point lead but were eventually clawed back and had a chance to win the game at the death. Sherman and co kept out Kaepernick

'' Now with the ball on the San Francisco 40-yard line, Seattle drove to the 29-yard line where Hauschka kicked a field goal to give the team a 23–17 lead with 3:37 left in the game. San Francisco responded with a drive to the Seahawks' 18-yard line, featuring a 17-yard reception by running back Frank Gore on fourth down and 2. With 30 seconds remaining, Kaepernick attempted a pass to Crabtree in the corner of the end zone. Cornerback Richard Sherman made a leaping deflection of the pass to the lurking linebacker Malcolm Smith for an interception to seal the victory for the Seahawks ''

A stunning Championship game played with high anxiety. A classic.

More to follow.

Last edited:
2012/13

San Francisco 49ers 28–24 Atlanta FalconsJanuary 20
Baltimore Ravens 28–13 New England Patriots

Cracking games

2011/12 - Ravens and 9ers lose to Patriots and the Giants. The ravens kicker blew a 30 yard field goal with no time remaining at New England which cost them a chance to go to the Super Bowl. 9ers lost narrowly at home to Eli Manning

Green Bay Packers 21–14Chicago Bears
New York Jets 19–24Pittsburgh Steelers

2009/10 and the Vikings and Farve lost a thriller in O.T to the New Orleans Saints.

Brings us to tomorrow's games. I love the prospect of a Brady vs Brees Super Bowl show down. I don't know if this eventuates, but the NFL and many fans would love to see this. Brees has already taken on one legend and beaten him in Peyton Manning, the one and only SB he's played in. He'd fancy his chances against another living legend and what a way it would be to earn your second ring. If Brady did play the Saints and lose, it would be two straight losses in the big one and a fourth in his career. Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs have something to say about this still, as do the Los Angeles Rams. Either way I'm feeling my dick harden as we speak, the pre-cum flowing and my load ready to explode. Championship Weekend is better than the big one in some ways and one of the best days on the Sporting Calendar.

Any one who tries to contact me during these games be warned. I'll throw an Axe at your ******* face. That's if the trip Wire at the front door hasn't chopped your legs off. Which is what you deserve if you set foot nn my Fortress of a home you Belligerent ************ campaigners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back