Opinion Chances of the Lions getting another opportunity to play at Mars Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Samiam_98

One Club Playa
Aug 27, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
As a Lions supporter, I was disappointed in their round 8 loss when they fell short to the Bulldogs at Mars Stadium. But, it was a good match and I'd want them to get more opportunities to play in Ballarat to improve on their previous performance.

I'd want them to get more opportunities to play in Ballarat to improve on their previous performance.

Are you for real?

The only clubs that should be sent there are clubs with next to no support in Melbourne i.e. Gold Coast, GWS, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and Adelaide. All of Brisbane, Sydney (for obvious reasons) and West Coast have pretty good support in Melbourne and the majority of such fans shouldn't be denied the right to be able to see their team with relative ease and comfort.

We shouldn't have been sent to the backwater in the first place.

As a Lions supporter, I was disappointed in their round 8 loss when they fell short to the Bulldogs at Mars Stadium. But, it was a good match and I'd want them to get more opportunities to play in Ballarat to improve on their previous performance.

So I'm guessing you live in Ballarat. I'm keen to take my kids there but it would need to be a jlt game cos we are Queenslanders and anything under 18 degrees is stay indoors weather.

So I'm guessing you live in Ballarat. I'm keen to take my kids there but it would need to be a jlt game cos we are Queenslanders and anything under 18 degrees is stay indoors weather.
I live in Queensland and yeah I agree it needs to be a JLT game. Would just be nice to get a win down their.

Would prefer the team to get used to the MCG, given our recent record there, than play in one of the dumbest places to play AFL.

who knows we do Tassie every year as well.. you think the hawks play GWS, Suns, SA and WA side there
but nope us every year .
Hawks 2019 Tassie: Lions, Freo and Port. MCG Giants and Eagles and Suns Marvel.
Hawks 2018 Tassie Lions,Suns and port. MCG swans,crows, Marvel.. Eagles,

who knows we do Tassie every year as well.. you think the hawks play GWS, Suns, SA and WA side there
but nope us every year .
From what I recall Hawthorn have to play two Victorian clubs and two non- Victorian clubs in Tassie each year. The problem for us (and Sydney, back before their rivalry turned it into a blockbuster) is that for the purposes of this logic/contract we're both, so we're a no brainer to try to move down there.

This year: Carlton & Lions, Freo & Port.
2018: Saints and Lions, Suns and Port.
2017: Saints and North, Lions and GWS.
2016: Saints and Carlton, Suns and Freo.
2015: Dogs and Lions, Suns and Freo.
2014: Dogs and Lions, Suns and West Coast.
2013: Dogs and Lions, Freo and GWS.
2012: Sydney and North, Freo and Port.

From what I recall Hawthorn have to play two Victorian clubs and two non- Victorian clubs in Tassie each year. The problem for us (and Sydney, back before their rivalry turned it into a blockbuster) is that for the purposes of this logic/contract we're both, so we're a no brainer to try to move down there.

This year: Carlton & Lions, Freo & Port.
2018: Saints and Lions, Suns and Port.
2017: Saints and North, Lions and GWS.
2016: Saints and Carlton, Suns and Freo.
2015: Dogs and Lions, Suns and Freo.
2014: Dogs and Lions, Suns and West Coast.
2013: Dogs and Lions, Freo an
2012: Sydney and North, Freo and Port.

Well that's just wrong, we are clearly non Victorian and counting us as Victorian is just shafting us because they can. Club needs to be protesting this as we need melbourne games for our INTERSTATE members. Who are not home members because we are not a Victorian team.

but nope us every year .
Apparently we set the attendance record there. That might give the AFL more incentive to play us there in future fixtures.

The only other time we play at the MCG is round 23 against Richmond (assuming we don't play there in finals). Would rather us play Melbourne down there than at the Gabba this season.

Well that's just wrong, we are clearly non Victorian and counting us as Victorian is just shafting us because they can. Club needs to be protesting this as we need melbourne games for our INTERSTATE members. Who are not home members because we are not a Victorian team.

Pretty sure the club protests the number of games in Melbourne every year it drops below six.

We are not high on the list of the AFL's priorities.

Pretty sure the club protests the number of games in Melbourne every year it drops below six.

We are not high on the list of the AFL's priorities.
That could potentially change after this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree.

It was great to see Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Berry play at their old stomping ground where they played for North Ballarat before getting drafted. Both obviously fantastic players but also just upstanding young blokes that grew up in the country and played tough, hard footy. It would have been fantastic for them to go back there and play AFL footy. But also inspiring for the young kids growing up there to watch them.

Part of our draft strategy seems to be to target Country Victorian boys to minimise the 'go home' to Melbourne mentality. This was a genius strategy IMO. We should be looking to play at least one game a year there and to let the young kids growing up know that they can play for the Brisbane Lions just like their heroes from Country Victoria are doing.

(I agree we need more games at the MCG also!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back