Roast Change in gamestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good points , but don't compare our injuries of the previous years to this year no way in the world much more severe you can cover a few , but once it gets to many your patching up holes .At one stage we had 4 of our starting midfielders out long term and both our recognised rucks out to.We get some troops back we loose another 2 it's not the only reason this year , but a major one.

Yeah, there have been more injuries this year, but let's not forget we lost Rance in Rnd 1 of 2019. And carried his salary in the cap for a loooong time. That was massive. Credit to the team (and especially Grimes and Balta) for succeeding with that challenge.

Every premiership team needs to be 1) lucky and 2) find something they didn't know they had to deal with injuries. We haven't been lucky or been able to slot young 'uns and depth players in seamlessly this year. Can't blame the club for 1). Arguably, we could have covered the midfield injuries, had we got more games into the young 'uns before this year. But we were busy winning premierships with a powerful but aging midfield, so we just have to take our medicine.

Actually, changing subject just a little - injury management is one of the things that's worried me this year that I left off my list. There is no way in hell premiership Richmond sends Nank back onto the ground after he did his PCL in the first ball up of the game. WTF was that? Cost us way more than injuries to the mids, IMO.

Yep there are so many forces at play , if you wanna keep it simple coz I know peeps hate detail, right at this moment , without nank, Prestia lambo and Edwards, our midfield is Completely limp . Losing so much contested and clearance ball we have fa chance at executing any game plan
Quite clearly we are being annihilated at contested and clearance ball and the loss of Prestia and Nankervis in particular hurts.
I still think our best players are in clear decline and in most instances cannot do what they used to do. You mention Prestia will soon be 29 and you cannot be confident of him going on for many more years with the injury situation. Lambert is 30 and Edwards is 33 and not many mention it but looks gone to me.
Throw in Cotchin 31 and looking a shadow of his former self dusty now 30 yrs old theres no upside there only slow or quick decline. Injuries or no injuries there is a cliff coming.

I think a depleted midfield, age and the onset of 666, the stand rule and the kick out rule have made it virtually impossible to play the way we used to play even with a full compliment of players available i dont believe we can play the old way.

Another concern for me is a lack of quality kids coming thru that are not regulars in the team as we do have a couple who have become regulars
To me this year is done and dusted get games into as many kids as we can and in the off season come up with a plan that can succeed in the future.
I think the way it has now gone better skills and bigger bodies are going to be a need as well.

Quite clearly we are being annihilated at contested and clearance ball and the loss of Prestia and Nankervis in particular hurts.
I still think our best players are in clear decline and in most instances cannot do what they used to do. You mention Prestia will soon be 29 and you cannot be confident of him going on for many more years with the injury situation. Lambert is 30 and Edwards is 33 and not many mention it but looks gone to me.
Throw in Cotchin 31 and looking a shadow of his former self dusty now 30 yrs old theres no upside there only slow or quick decline. Injuries or no injuries there is a cliff coming.

I think a depleted midfield, age and the onset of 666, the stand rule and the kick out rule have made it virtually impossible to play the way we used to play even with a full compliment of players available i dont believe we can play the old way.

Another concern for me is a lack of quality kids coming thru that are not regulars in the team as we do have a couple who have become regulars
To me this year is done and dusted get games into as many kids as we can and in the off season come up with a plan that can succeed in the future.
I think the way it has now gone better skills and bigger bodies are going to be a need as well.
So by that assessment the window is closed and we should be building for the next 3 years to suit the new game of 666 and standing on the mark

Yep midfield is a concern and needs investment , I’m hoping minimum 6 list changes , wouldn’t mind 7-8 tbh . Edwards has had a bugga of a year with that ankle, came back too early and was clearly hampered , I wouldn’t write him off however we shouldn’t expect too many more seasons from him

Lots of salient pints made here about how we were caught in a perfect storm of trying to develop a new style just as we were hit by injury after injury. While some of these players will come back, I think some are done and dusted, and some of their younger replacements, who showed early promise have already peaked and offer us little in the future, and by them I mean at least Ross and Stack. So, like a lot of us I'm bitterly disappointed- not that at the moment we're in decline but at our lack of pressure. i think the media have been really kind to us of late. We've suffered three consecutive humiliating defeats and I wish I could sugar coat those results- but I just cant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back