Roast Change in gamestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t have a problem with our game style in more recent games, we kicked > 100p v crows and Ess and failed by 4p v WC after being in front for over 90% of match . I won’t ignore Friday night and if dimma Is honest with himself there should be alot of learnings in particular the poor form of several players that should make way for rising talents

So Mcqualter is doing 2 jobs this year, ball movement which he was doing last year and forward line which McRae was doing.

Lonergan who was a development coach last year has taken over Kingsley’s midfield stoppage role.

And Kingsley has moved from his midfield stoppage role to take over Leppa’s backline role.

They’re pretty big changes for our players to get used to, we were a finely tuned machine last year then the players and coaches both have to adjust.

So Mcqualter is doing 2 jobs this year, ball movement which he was doing last year and forward line which McRae was doing.

Lonergan who was a development coach last year has taken over Kingsley’s midfield stoppage role.

And Kingsley has moved from his midfield stoppage role to take over Leppa’s backline role.

They’re pretty big changes for our players to get used to, we were a finely tuned machine last year then the players and coaches both have to adjust.
Another thing to remember is due to last season finishing late we had a shorter pre season , then of course all the injuries..

Champion data review of our season so far.

We’re number 1 in the comp for scoring from turnover, 3rd for forward half intercepts and 5th for inside 50 differential.

But we’re getting smashed in clearances and contested possession and back half turnovers are costing us.

RICHMOND

THE GOOD

The Tigers’ brand is much the same as its premiership years of recent seasons, being a low disposal and low stoppages team that plays the game in their forward half and punishes opposition sides on turnover. The reigning premiers rank No. 1 for points from turnovers this year as well as third for both time in forward half differential and forward half intercepts. They are also providing ample opportunities to their forwards, ranking 5th for inside-50 differential.

The Improvers

1. Dion Prestia

2. Nathan Broad

3. Noah Balta

THE BAD

Richmond’s long-heralded defence has been found out at times this season. The side has slipped from No. 2 for points conceded last season to No. 9 this season. Turnovers in the back half have proved costly, with the Tigers implementing a stronger possession game to protect their defence. The contest also continues to be a weakness, with the side ranked 18th for clearance differential and 14th for contested possession differential.

Gone Backwards

1. Tom Lynch

2. Nick Vlastuin

3. Toby Nankervis

Last edited:

Coaches play an important role however what's letting us down currently is the execution of what most would think at the AFL level to be the most basic of skills. We repeatedly miss simple targets with straight forward hand passes and kicks and in between fumble the ball like it's coated in vaseline.

I can't see what the coaches can do about this, most of our players just appear to be totally lacking confidence with ball in hand. Missing handballs to teammates 2 metres away, kicking 15 metres and managing to miss the target by metres is killing us at the moment and not sure how extra/different coaches would fix this.

Coaches shouldn't have to focus on the absolute fundamentals at this level, they should be working on tweaking the execution of the game plan and the more complex strategies for the particular opposition we are facing for that week.

Every week we jump out the blocks and look great for about 10mins and then it's our skills that result in complete momentum killers and the wind is taken out of our sails, not to mention our poor goal kicking.

If you watch the Dogs or the Dees they make very few errors when transitioning from defence to attack. Their mids run hard as they have trust in the fact the ball will get back to them if they put in the hard yards. We almost don't trust our teammates to do this any more. It's like the mids are expecting our turnovers so are sitting in no man's land because they know at some point someone will stuff up and they will have to turn and chase.

The problem is if we do fluke a transition to forward 50 the forwards have no other support and it's turned over and then the opposition seem to slingshot and score at the other end very easily. We execute very few complete movements from defensive 50 to forward 50 because we literally can't string possessions together without a skill error.

Maybe it's just a confidence thing, just seems weird that the majority of our players are affected at the same time. The last few years and for small periods this season we have looked slick with the ball in hand and using overlap runners and have made scoring look easy for the most part but for the majority of this season we just make the simple look so God damn difficult that it's hard to watch us at times.

no idea why we changed kingsley in the midfield stopages, we were killing in the centre clearances during finals

Is that the same Caracalla and Rutten that have been at Essendon for 2 years and they move barely improved at all?

No doubt great coaches but to say they’re the reason we won 3 in 4 years is a dead set lie.
And what is the reason we won the flags Dimma?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no idea why we changed kingsley in the midfield stopages, we were killing in the centre clearances during finals
We are consistently getting flogged in centre clearances this season but we have also been without our number one and two string ruckman and most of our midfield due to injury so it is a bit rough to blame the coach for that...

Looks crap live too

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
In 2016 I remember thinking bugger me why do we chip back and sideways so much just take the bloody game on, it seems that I am now thinking the exact same thing...i think the midfield is not running as hard back in defence due to different personel or lack of desire to compete from some of the older players and the backline has lost its ability to be able to run and break the lines...I wonder, after winning three flags what have the experienced players have left to play for?

Ok, if the pressure game plan is finished because it's been figured out, why are the bombers and others clubs executing it successfully?
Please go back to the pressure surge game plan, the chipping sh*t is boring, and more importantly we can't play it.
The high pressure gameplan is very physically taxing which probably explains the increase in injuries to our older players this year...

It's the fear of Dimma that staying with what we know and not evolving will lead to us falling behind the pack. Problem I see is that he is implementing something mid season and the players don't appear to be grasping the concept, took them a while to come to terms with the chaos gameplan.

I understand his thinking with the three talls but watching tonight at one stage the ball was kicked inside 50 and the Saints had 8 players and we had Jack, Chol and CJ, once that ball hits the ground you would have more chance of winning 1st division lotto than maintaining possession or even maybe actually scoring which we seem to forget is the reason we get the ball in there in the first place.

Something somewhere is not working, either our mids are sitting back being too defensive or our medium forwards are not working hard enough or its a combination of both. Our strength used to be our ability to hold it inside our 50 applying manic pressure until the opposition turned it over and we would score as a result, it's not happening now.

I think the new rules have definitely affected us more than most, our manic pressure even extended to how we manned the mark, that has been taken away from us. Teams have much more space to clear the ball back outside 50 where it becomes a highly contested game and our full midfield has been out of action for most of the season.

In addition other teams have simply improved their skill level to dissect teams with strong zone based defences and we just don't have the skillset to match that, we never have, chaos is our game and that's at the other end of the skill scale.

To change our gamestyle to a high possession game is going to expose a few players which it has done already. It means that if we are seriously shifting the way we play moving forward then we need to recruit new players who can execute and that can take some time so we may see more of what we saw tonight. The alternative is whether Dimma simply gives it up for this season on tonight's evidence and reverts to what the players know best and comes naturally to them.
We've got blokes who can roost it on the run from outside fifty like short balta jgti and dusty so when teams flood that's what we should be trying. We did try to however Short missed but we should have persisted with it as it nullifies the oppos defensive flood and draws them up the ground which then frees up our forwards a bit more...

Is that the same Caracalla and Rutten that have been at Essendon for 2 years and they move barely improved at all?

No doubt great coaches but to say they’re the reason we won 3 in 4 years is a dead set lie.
This place has gone loopy with the we need to play like Essendon :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :drunk:

The same Essendon playing well with a bunch of injuries and kids. Make no mistake they are moving up and will be a very good side soon with an exciting brand, they just don't have a prime Dusty, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Grimes, Vlastuin, Prestia, Edwards, etc. etc. that we had to work with.

They're doing a great job with them, I'd kill to have both back as assistants, and if Hardwick moves on in a few years Caracella is one I'd be sounding out to be our next HC.

dude, if you’re asking who I would rather watch and who’s future I’m more bullish about right now it is Essendon by the length of the Flemington straight. Hating a club doesn’t mean making up lies about the club to help yourself sleep at night. They’ve been superb this year and have had a number of young players have really promising - if not downright elite- seasons.

dude, if you’re asking who I would rather watch and who’s future I’m more bullish about right now it is Essendon by the length of the Flemington straight. Hating a club doesn’t mean making up lies about the club to help yourself sleep at night. They’ve been superb this year and have had a number of young players have really promising - if not downright elite- seasons.

Superb? Are you actually kidding. The same team that got beat by is by 7 goals in the midst of our s**t form. A club that won’t make the finals. I think many here have been sucked in by the media hype by the bombers sycophants. They’ve barely improved at all. They may be playing a more appealing brand but it’s not exactly translating to Ws

Remove this Banner Ad

Back