Roast Change in gamestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

We have definitely changed our game plan and it was deliberate because we were getting opened up the other way. So slowing the ball going forward allows our backs to setup better which compensates for us having younger inexperienced mids playing who struggled with the 2 way running. However it then leaves us with another team camped out and JR, CCJ and everyone else having to take contested marks. We need to go back to surge football but having at least 1 of the 3 talls (or a small) presenting up at the ball carrier, just to create separation for someone else and give them a 1 out contest.

It's a great idea to be able to play that way when we need to control tempo but it isn't conduicive to us scoring heavily. We need the two gears. 1) go fast - lots of forward handball/run and gun type stuff and then tempo footy. Last week I lost count of the number of switches where we went backwards first. We are far more damaging when we take on and hit the 45 kick back into the middle and then go.

We also have been smashed at the contest and clearance a bit at times. I know Dimma says we are a turnover-based scoring side but if you win the ball and get it forward first, then it makes it a hell of a lot easier to create forward half turnovers (far more effective for scoring than defensive half turnovers).... I think we honestly lack quality genuine mids or at least depth of them. We have a lot of quality players that can rotate through the middle (Dusty, Edwards, Bolton, Graham, Lambert, Pickett) but very few genuine mids (Dusty is one but spends a lot of time forward, Cotchin who is fading and Prestia who is frequently injured). We really need at least 2 of RCD, Ross, Dow and Martyn to make it and then trade/draft for others (Cerra would be great plus a first rounder).

We've got blokes who can roost it on the run from outside fifty like short balta jgti and dusty so when teams flood that's what we should be trying. We did try to however Short missed but we should have persisted with it as it nullifies the oppos defensive flood and draws them up the ground which then frees up our forwards a bit more...
Correct sir. If they want the 20 - 40 mtr space then we should be hitting up around 45 - 55 and drawing them out from there. If we can’t make the distance there is no harder pass to stop than a quick short lead. bombing it long is not working for us this season as coaches have adjusted to stacking their defence, we are kicking killed at CHB.

Team selections

Forwardline
Costanga and aarts had all year. We have better options

Backline
Ross wtf is not a defender. We have stack.
Astbury is cooked. We have miller.

Whos in charge of this sh*t? All our food assistants are gone. Hardwick running the show 2016 styles

All good, just watched Dimmas presser, apparently all we need is some confidence. Nothing to do with team selections, game plan or lack of assistant coaches

We are in good hands!

Champion data review of our season so far.

We’re number 1 in the comp for scoring from turnover, 3rd for forward half intercepts and 5th for inside 50 differential.

But we’re getting smashed in clearances and contested possession and back half turnovers are costing us.

RICHMOND

THE GOOD

The Tigers’ brand is much the same as its premiership years of recent seasons, being a low disposal and low stoppages team that plays the game in their forward half and punishes opposition sides on turnover. The reigning premiers rank No. 1 for points from turnovers this year as well as third for both time in forward half differential and forward half intercepts. They are also providing ample opportunities to their forwards, ranking 5th for inside-50 differential.

The Improvers

1. Dion Prestia

2. Nathan Broad

3. Noah Balta

THE BAD

Richmond’s long-heralded defence has been found out at times this season. The side has slipped from No. 2 for points conceded last season to No. 9 this season. Turnovers in the back half have proved costly, with the Tigers implementing a stronger possession game to protect their defence. The contest also continues to be a weakness, with the side ranked 18th for clearance differential and 14th for contested possession differential.

Gone Backwards

1. Tom Lynch

2. Nick Vlastuin

3. Toby Nankervis
backwards nank?? what?

I think most of my thoughts about our game style have been said by others already. I will add that IMO, we changed style more than once in the past 5 years. It just wasn't worth discussing because we were still playing powerful footy.

A few things I've noticed throughout the season that sorta worried me. Debatable how much they relate to game style.

Individual performances have been getting us over the line - where's the 2021 win that noone can agree on the best players? Where's the win based on the system and the role players?

Failing form. We've only had to deal with losing Grigg and Rance, and Rance didn't come off the boil before he was done. We have a minimum of half a dozen seriously good players who have gone off their tucker. We haven't had to deal with that before. On the other side of the coin, which of our players is better than last season? Bolton, clearly. RCD and CJ, tick. Mansell. Maybe Pickett? Anyone else?

Selection pressure - we've had injuries every year, but there's always been someone in the VFL lighting it up. Which small forward is pushing Castagna out of the team? Lol, or, which 3 VFL small forwards are pushing out D Rioli, Aarts and Castagna?

Where's the fun? Has anyone spotted the team giggling in the quarter time huddle? This year, the word "connection" sounds like marketing spin.

So yeah, there is plenty to worry about from a coaching and game style perspective, but I don't think sacking Hardwick is the answer, and I don't think trying to revert to our 2017 game style is the answer either. It took them a while, but the opposition coaches, and Father Time, caught up. Our confidence evaporated. Our players made poor execution errors with fundamental attacking and defensive skills that no game style could salvage. Here we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the new rules expose our lack of skills, its that simple, we do not have skilled players who can find targets. we bomb and hope or we bomb and surge or we switch slow it down then allow forwards to be 2 out and yes you get it BOMB. I am sick of poor coaching. Dont get me wrong I have loved our ride but we need to re invent ourselves, at least stack can hit targets. Castanga cannot and stuff all momentum up by doing loop de loops and sill errors. What has also happened is our skilled players like short have been found wanting.....so we yup...bomb. It worked we we developed forward pressure but the game has now become more precise. Thats how geelong, swans and demons opened us up, they have skilled players who know when to go and can hit targets. those campaingers who say houlis has to go are kidding themselves, he has to stat becuase he hits targets. Cotchin has never been good at targets, he once had some pace and has lots of tenacity but that is now exposed. Graham gets exposed also as does Arts. I put the blame fairly at our lack of coaches (who is the fwd line coach FFS) and the fact that players pressure has dropped of. we need to find it again, but please lets go to the draft and get some speed and some quality by foot and by hand.

Just get the players back to playing football they enjoy. If anyone remembers the last game of 2016 after half time the old chip chip bullshit gameplan was abandoned and the players just ran it out of the middle and clawed back a few goals. You could see the players were enjoying themselves not weighed down with s**t.

Tell them to attack and use the corridor, that's the root of our winning style anyhow. We are not a malthouse coached snorefest team. So stop trying to turn the players into something they aren't.

The offseason is when you turn things upside down, not half way through the year.

the new rules expose our lack of skills, its that simple, we do not have skilled players who can find targets. we bomb and hope or we bomb and surge or we switch slow it down then allow forwards to be 2 out and yes you get it BOMB. I am sick of poor coaching. Dont get me wrong I have loved our ride but we need to re invent ourselves, at least stack can hit targets. Castanga cannot and stuff all momentum up by doing loop de loops and sill errors. What has also happened is our skilled players like short have been found wanting.....so we yup...bomb. It worked we we developed forward pressure but the game has now become more precise. Thats how geelong, swans and demons opened us up, they have skilled players who know when to go and can hit targets. those campaingers who say houlis has to go are kidding themselves, he has to stat becuase he hits targets. Cotchin has never been good at targets, he once had some pace and has lots of tenacity but that is now exposed. Graham gets exposed also as does Arts. I put the blame fairly at our lack of coaches (who is the fwd line coach FFS) and the fact that players pressure has dropped of. we need to find it again, but please lets go to the draft and get some speed and some quality by foot and by hand.
Just one comment if we need to find the pressure game again it will have to be something new because quite clearly the rules and a few other things just won't allow us to play the way we did.

Genuinely think Hardwick has lost the players and has got no clue how to fix this.
So six months after winning a third flag in four years he's lost the players ? What are you basing this on ? I suspect there's half a dozen reasons we are battling; physically and mentally exhausted after being up for so long, injuries to key players, short pre season on the back of three previous short seasons, a natural wane in hunger, monumental change in rules designed to blunt our game style, change in game style because of rule changes, gun players getting to the end of their careers, depth players having virtually no footy last year, living in a Covid bubble for the last two seasons and the weight of history...how many sides have done what this side has done in the modern era, three flags in four years ? None.

At the very bottom of a long list of possible reasons for us struggling this year would be Dimma losing the players. In fact it wouldn't even be ON my list.

Just one comment if we need to find the pressure game again it will have to be something new because quite clearly the rules and a few other things just won't allow us to play the way we did.
We can still play a pressure game no problems- I am talking when we go into offence we need players that hit targets it isn’t rocket science

So six months after winning a third flag in four years he's lost the players ? What are you basing this on ?
It's looking like a real possibility.

Can I pose what if the Mrs Hardwick situation is a bigger issue than we are told? What if a few players close to her really lost respect for Dimma and his values and the person he is? What if it was the Captain? What if it was a dozen players?

It's easy to say it doesn't effect them but I pose the question could that be having more of an impact than we know?

I dont discount the other stuff you've said, but I'm also not sure they are buying Dimmas message like they once did.

I must say we're our own worse enemy at the moment skill wise, lapses etc.I don't think it's all about teams working us out.Lucky we played 2 games of Richmond brand of footy this year lucky that the tuffness , pressure and intensity etc alot of this season is on us even with our injury toll.

I think most of my thoughts about our game style have been said by others already. I will add that IMO, we changed style more than once in the past 5 years. It just wasn't worth discussing because we were still playing powerful footy.

A few things I've noticed throughout the season that sorta worried me. Debatable how much they relate to game style.

Individual performances have been getting us over the line - where's the 2021 win that noone can agree on the best players? Where's the win based on the system and the role players?

Failing form. We've only had to deal with losing Grigg and Rance, and Rance didn't come off the boil before he was done. We have a minimum of half a dozen seriously good players who have gone off their tucker. We haven't had to deal with that before. On the other side of the coin, which of our players is better than last season? Bolton, clearly. RCD and CJ, tick. Mansell. Maybe Pickett? Anyone else?

Selection pressure - we've had injuries every year, but there's always been someone in the VFL lighting it up. Which small forward is pushing Castagna out of the team? Lol, or, which 3 VFL small forwards are pushing out D Rioli, Aarts and Castagna?

Where's the fun? Has anyone spotted the team giggling in the quarter time huddle? This year, the word "connection" sounds like marketing spin.

So yeah, there is plenty to worry about from a coaching and game style perspective, but I don't think sacking Hardwick is the answer, and I don't think trying to revert to our 2017 game style is the answer either. It took them a while, but the opposition coaches, and Father Time, caught up. Our confidence evaporated. Our players made poor execution errors with fundamental attacking and defensive skills that no game style could salvage. Here we are.

Good points , but don't compare our injuries of the previous years to this year no way in the world much more severe you can cover a few , but once it gets to many your patching up holes .At one stage we had 4 of our starting midfielders out long term and both our recognised rucks out to.We get some troops back we loose another 2 it's not the only reason this year , but a major one.

It's looking like a real possibility.

Can I pose what if the Mrs Hardwick situation is a bigger issue than we are told? What if a few players close to her really lost respect for Dimma and his values and the person he is? What if it was the Captain? What if it was a dozen players?

It's easy to say it doesn't effect them but I pose the question could that be having more of an impact than we know?

I dont discount the other stuff you've said, but I'm also not sure they are buying Dimmas message like they once did.

Well if that's the case they need a new profession.There hired by the club as professional sports people not to interfere in personal stuff simple as that.

Last edited:
Well if that's the case they need a new profession.The hired by the club as professional sports people not to interfere in personal stuff simple as that.

Well said. I'm not sure Cotchin was thinking about Dimma's relationship issues when he decided to try and thread a 20 metre pass through 3 gold coast players on Thursday.... but if he was, it may explain why he decided to take that kick on. Still stunned they didn't simply evaporate....

Players get paid to play... our players have been paid to play well... now a few are getting paid to simply play. They need to bring the enjoyment back. We look over-coached to me... let them run free.

I don’t think it’s too hard to work out myself.
The games changed, we are getting older and we aren’t as good as we were.
Yep there are so many forces at play , if you wanna keep it simple coz I know peeps hate detail, right at this moment , without nank, Prestia lambo and Edwards, our midfield is Completely limp . Losing so much contested and clearance ball we have fa chance at executing any game plan

Well said. I'm not sure Cotchin was thinking about Dimma's relationship issues when he decided to try and thread a 20 metre pass through 3 gold coast players on Thursday.... but if he was, it may explain why he decided to take that kick on. Still stunned they didn't simply evaporate....

Players get paid to play... our players have been paid to play well... now a few are getting paid to simply play. They need to bring the enjoyment back. We look over-coached to me... let them run free.
Cotch is trying his guts out ,he’s on the bottom of every single pack which is half the problem, he struggles to get up and break away out of traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back