Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
-No more surge running by hand
-Just bombing it long in hope
-Non existant forward pressure
-Kick and mark game plan we don't have the skills for
-Non existant plan going inside 50

What the hell has happened? Why have we deviated from what won us 3 flags in 4 years that no team could stop?

Game plan hasn't changed FFS. The option for the 15-20m kick is now being used with the new rule changes but the surge mentality is most certainly still there with no greater evidence of that then Lambert and Graham being heavily involved. Fumbling and missing easy targets is the reason for the lack of conversion.

We've played our best footy in patches like the 3rd quarter of the dogs game.

Just seems like the hunger isn't there anymore meaning instead of 7 blokes running forward at once we only get 2 or 3, resulting in us turning it over, etc.

If we can get the hunger back then we will be alright but i dont see how we will get it back.

-No more surge running by hand
-Just bombing it long in hope
-Non existant forward pressure
-Kick and mark game plan we don't have the skills for
-Non existant plan going inside 50

What the hell has happened? Why have we deviated from what won us 3 flags in 4 years that no team could stop?
It's the fear of Dimma that staying with what we know and not evolving will lead to us falling behind the pack. Problem I see is that he is implementing something mid season and the players don't appear to be grasping the concept, took them a while to come to terms with the chaos gameplan.

I understand his thinking with the three talls but watching tonight at one stage the ball was kicked inside 50 and the Saints had 8 players and we had Jack, Chol and CJ, once that ball hits the ground you would have more chance of winning 1st division lotto than maintaining possession or even maybe actually scoring which we seem to forget is the reason we get the ball in there in the first place.

Something somewhere is not working, either our mids are sitting back being too defensive or our medium forwards are not working hard enough or its a combination of both. Our strength used to be our ability to hold it inside our 50 applying manic pressure until the opposition turned it over and we would score as a result, it's not happening now.

I think the new rules have definitely affected us more than most, our manic pressure even extended to how we manned the mark, that has been taken away from us. Teams have much more space to clear the ball back outside 50 where it becomes a highly contested game and our full midfield has been out of action for most of the season.

In addition other teams have simply improved their skill level to dissect teams with strong zone based defences and we just don't have the skillset to match that, we never have, chaos is our game and that's at the other end of the skill scale.

To change our gamestyle to a high possession game is going to expose a few players which it has done already. It means that if we are seriously shifting the way we play moving forward then we need to recruit new players who can execute and that can take some time so we may see more of what we saw tonight. The alternative is whether Dimma simply gives it up for this season on tonight's evidence and reverts to what the players know best and comes naturally to them.

Game plan hasn't changed FFS. The option for the 15-20m kick is now being used with the new rule changes but the surge mentality is most certainly still there with no greater evidence of that then Lambert and Graham being heavily involved. Fumbling and missing easy targets is the reason for the lack of conversion.

Mate you say game plan hasn’t changed then in the next sentence we’re using chip s**t footy. Our uncontested numbers are way above their median. The plan has been tweaked. There’s no other way to explain land of the giants tonight. He opted for tall targets to pressure players. That’s not our DNA.

Mate you say game plan hasn’t changed then in the next sentence we’re using chip sh*t footy. Our uncontested numbers are way above their median. The plan has been tweaked. There’s no other way to explain land of the giants tonight. He opted for tall targets to pressure players. That’s not our DNA.

You mean the kicks we've always and any team for matter will hit up if the option presents itself. The idea that us now hitting up more short targets which are now available due to rule changes means we have changed the game plan is flat out wrong. Our game plan doesn't revolve around the way we exit the ball out of the backline in uncontested situations.

Our issue is maintaining our intensity and pressure around the ball, which is mostly due to carrying blokes. We had plenty of opportunities to run the ball through the middle tonight and went with that option only to fumble the ball and allow Saints back into the contest.

It's the fear of Dimma that staying with what we know and not evolving will lead to us falling behind the pack. Problem I see is that he is implementing something mid season and the players don't appear to be grasping the concept, took them a while to come to terms with the chaos gameplan.

I understand his thinking with the three talls but watching tonight at one stage the ball was kicked inside 50 and the Saints had 8 players and we had Jack, Chol and CJ, once that ball hits the ground you would have more chance of winning 1st division lotto than maintaining possession or even maybe actually scoring which we seem to forget is the reason we get the ball in there in the first place.

Something somewhere is not working, either our mids are sitting back being too defensive or our medium forwards are not working hard enough or its a combination of both. Our strength used to be our ability to hold it inside our 50 applying manic pressure until the opposition turned it over and we would score as a result, it's not happening now.

I think the new rules have definitely affected us more than most, our manic pressure even extended to how we manned the mark, that has been taken away from us. Teams have much more space to clear the ball back outside 50 where it becomes a highly contested game and our full midfield has been out of action for most of the season.

In addition other teams have simply improved their skill level to dissect teams with strong zone based defences and we just don't have the skillset to match that, we never have, chaos is our game and that's at the other end of the skill scale.

To change our gamestyle to a high possession game is going to expose a few players which it has done already. It means that if we are seriously shifting the way we play moving forward then we need to recruit new players who can execute and that can take some time so we may see more of what we saw tonight. The alternative is whether Dimma simply gives it up for this season on tonight's evidence and reverts to what the players know best and comes naturally to them.

couldn’t have said it better myself

IMO the ONLY tiny shred of hope we have for a 2021 flag now would be to go back to some of our roots, manic teamwide pressure, small forwardline when everyone is going tall, surging forward handball run, outnumbers at every contest.

Trying to recreate something others are doing is exposing us as a bottom 8 side. We can't do it. What we can do, is play Richmond football IF the team have the hunger to play it.

I'll say again what I've posted a few times.

Caracella.

Look at the Bombers. They play EXACTLY like we did in 2017, only they're not as good as we were/are and don't quite have the individual talent, eg. they don't have an elite Rance or Dusty type, no captain courageous like Cotchin either.

But we won the flag in 2020 without Caracella, you say? We did, yes, but I maintain we weren't as good/exciting to watch, and we probably just had enough of the style leftover to see us through.

Look at us now... Shades of 2016... Developing mids and forwards as half backs (Ross, now bloody Rioli), trying to possess the ball kicking sideways, backwards. We've completely lost our identity, and it's starting to smack of the old Dimma, we've lost our fun, our surge.

It's either that or we're just getting old.

But whatever it is, I wish we had our darn identity back. Dimma seems to think it doesn't work anymore (argh FFS!) but it clearly works for Essendon. If they had some better players they'd be right up there.

This team was made by playing to the strengths of its players, the speed and chaos of say guys like Castagna. Why the buggery would we try to play like a possession side again when doing that gave us 2016?

What can we do? Probably nothing, I think we're cooked unfortunately, mids are getting too old and now we've lost Balta and Broad for 12 months and 2 months respectively.

The ride was amazing. I'd hoped we'd at least keep our identity even once we dropped off, but it seems that's gone too, probably another thing the Bombers have poached.

Can hold out hope that we find a replacement for Balta and that we can cover Broad, but it might be a bridge too far now. Ah well, again, it has been awesome.

This! Missing McRae and Leppa badly.

Caracella.

Look at the Bombers. They play EXACTLY like we did in 2017, only they're not as good as we were/are and don't quite have the individual talent, eg. they don't have an elite Rance or Dusty type, no captain courageous like Cotchin either.

But we won the flag in 2020 without Caracella, you say? We did, yes, but I maintain we weren't as good/exciting to watch, and we probably just had enough of the style leftover to see us through.

Look at us now... Shades of 2016... Developing mids and forwards as half backs (Ross, now bloody Rioli), trying to possess the ball kicking sideways, backwards. We've completely lost our identity, and it's starting to smack of the old Dimma, we've lost our fun, our surge.

But whatever it is, I wish we had our darn identity back. Dimma seems to think it doesn't work anymore (argh FFS!) but it clearly works for Essendon. If they had some better players they'd be right up there.

This team was made by playing to the strengths of its players, the speed and chaos of say guys like Castagna. Why the buggery would we try to play like a possession side again when doing that gave us 2016?

What can we do? Probably nothing, I think we're cooked unfortunately, mids are getting too old and now we've lost Balta and Broad for 12 months and 2 months respectively.

The ride was amazing. I'd hoped we'd at least keep our identity even once we dropped off, but it seems that's gone too, probably another thing the Bombers have poached.

Can hold out hope that we find a replacement for Balta and that we can cover Broad, but it might be a bridge too far now. Ah well, again, it has been awesome.

This is it, quality assistant coaches left and replaced them with what we had left. They are not even doing the same roles they had last year. They are all Yes men.

What we have left is Chad Dimma. 2016 version but worse outbursts like the whole marvel & wife thing. Hes running the show by himself again and doing wierd s**t either with selections or game plans. The whole point of bringing senior assistants is Dimma to a certain degree needs to reign it in and he doesnt have the tactical nouse to do it all himself.

It was complete mistake not replacing any assistant coaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caracella.

Mate, you are wasting your time and they will take you down just as fast as the saints took us down. Been saying it for years Dim Sim is a fraud! You just need to watch him when the cameras are on that he has NFI. Ohhh but he won 3 premierships but just like the Georges of the team been carried does that really count? All that needs to happen now is for Balme to leave and we will turn full circle which would be unfair as prior to 16 we never dished out anything like last night.

Mate, you are wasting your time and they will take you down just as fast as the saints took us down. Been saying it for years Dim Sim is a fraud! You just need to watch him when the cameras are on that he has NFI. Ohhh but he won 3 premierships but just like the Georges of the team been carried does that really count? All that needs to happen now is for Balme to leave and we will turn full circle which would be unfair as prior to 16 we never dished out anything like last night.

What?

I really dont give a s**t. 3 flags in 4 years is 3 more than I ever thought I'd see even from afar. The game of Aussie Rules is going down the gurgler. It's not an interesting game anymore. Rule changes and wavering interpretations of rules are killing the game.

Chess is the new contact sport.

What?

I really dont give a sh*t. 3 flags in 4 years is 3 more than I ever thought I'd see even from afar. The game of Aussie Rules is going down the gurgler. It's not an interesting game anymore. Rule changes and wavering interpretations of rules are killing the game.

Chess is the new contact sport.
Yeah, and I witness both my parents die. The guy was referring to the game plan which Caracella Lep and Ruts created only for the imposter to take credit. He is now more clueless than ever. I agree on the 3 prem and happy to have been around to see them. And I agree the game is not the same anymore. Mr. Sheedy started all this crap and it just flows on and on.

Yeah, and I witness both my parents die. The guy was referring to the game plan which Caracella Lep and Ruts created only for the imposter to take credit. He is now more clueless than ever. I agree on the 3 prem and happy to have been around to see them. And I agree the game is not the same anymore. Mr. Sheedy started all this crap and it just flows on and on.
At the end of the day... I sense I know you :cool:

Caracella.

Sadly I couldn't agree more.

I'm fact if he's not snapped up already, when we do look for a next coach whenever that may be I'd hope Caracella starts on the short-list as a high priority.

Caracella.

Broad had a deadset stinker last night and I reckon we can cover him easily. Tried to double fist every bloody ball that came in. Balta is a big out but there is also a bloke in Ben miller who is pretty handy who we get to take a look at now. Dimma also needs to leave the gameplan alone.

so arrogant of us to go into a new season without 2 assistant coaches

other clubs have more coaches than us
At one point they showed the saints box and they have twice as many coaches as us..wtf. I agree it smacks of arrogance as does some of the selections, picking a first game to go up against one of the most experienced ruckman in the comp, continually picking George who spuds it up every bloody week....

Caracella.

This

Remove this Banner Ad

Back