News Change of strip...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah can't see any announcement until 1. current sale is no longer 2. memberships are out 3. draft/trades all done and 4. next year's fixture is out

Doubt we were changing the Home Jumper and any change was to be to the clash jumper to allow the jumper to be worn for games in Melbourne. That likely will be announced once the new season Nike Gear is released late November.

Doubt we were changing the Home Jumper and any change was to be to the clash jumper to allow the jumper to be worn for games in Melbourne. That likely will be announced once the new season Nike Gear is released late November.
So in other words, no change at all. We've worn the V multiple times already.

I’d be extremely happy if it’s a red V on white to make a permanent return for say VIC games or the clash jumper.

Im now at that point where I concede the Opera House design is all some supporters know and that would be the jumper they love so hope they can satisfy everyone with the change.
Sorry, but I'd be really pissed... We're the Sydney Swans and we deserve reference in the jumper

Sorry, but I'd be really pissed... We're the Sydney Swans and we deserve reference in the jumper

Like I said I'm hoping they can satisfy everyone with the proposed change

The original Sydney Swans jumper was the red V for around 4 years in Sydney so regardless of how quickly it changed that's the original Sydney Swans jumper. If you don't care because you weren't born or just like the opera house design that's fine. If you need a landmark on the jumper to tell you which team you support then sure but the opera house isn't everything. That said I love the opera house design even though it was scribbled on a napkin to become the jumper.

The red V is why I started supporting and I had to adapt to the Opera House when the change came. If we made a decision like wearing the red v for a number of away games would it really piss you off that much ? I had to live with losing the jumper I loved and the handful of times I've seen it worn since has been magic. I also now love the Opera House design, as most do but I'm just supporting seeing the red V a few more times than once.

Like I said I'm hoping they can satisfy everyone with the proposed change

The original Sydney Swans jumper was the red V for around 4 years in Sydney so regardless of how quickly it changed that's the original Sydney Swans jumper. If you don't care because you weren't born or just like the opera house design that's fine. If you need a landmark on the jumper to tell you which team you support then sure but the opera house isn't everything. That said I love the opera house design even though it was scribbled on a napkin to become the jumper.

The red V is why I started supporting and I had to adapt to the Opera House when the change came. If we made a decision like wearing the red v for a number of away games would it really piss you off that much ? I had to live with losing the jumper I loved and the handful of times I've seen it worn since has been magic. I also now love the Opera House design, as most do but I'm just supporting seeing the red V a few more times than once.
Without a reference to Sydney? Yes it would piss me off that much...

I followed Souths, and when they came to Sydney, I was proud and delighted. I like a few thousand other supporters, sat through losing season after losing season... with no media to tell us what was happening, or why the place was like a revolving door. I pay membership every year, even though I can't get to lots of games. I buy merchandise every year. When sponsorship is available on here, I buy into it, even though I already have an active membership.

These are my Sydney Swans too, I have skin in the game, I want a reference...

I followed Souths, and when they came to Sydney, I was proud and delighted. I like a few thousand other supporters, sat through losing season after losing season... with no media to tell us what was happening, or why the place was like a revolving door. I pay membership every year, even though I can't get to lots of games. I buy merchandise every year. When sponsorship is available on here, I buy into it, even though I already have an active membership.

We are the only club that has any sort of landmark type reference. So it's not like every club has some sort of territorial signature. It's not that big of a deal. All the shpiel about membership etc couldn't be anymore irrelevant to the topic.

A clubs image comes down to it's historical origins. The colours and the V represents Sydney just as much as the opera house does. If the club went and designed some weird new jumper then we have the right to jump up and down. To revert back to a modern design of a historical jumper is fair game. Not that big a deal it doesn't take anything away from Sydney. The club is the Sydney swans and based in Sydney, there's your skin in the game lol. It only took me 15 years to realise the opera house wasn't a swans feathers.

We are the only club that has any sort of landmark type reference. So it's not like every club has some sort of territorial signature. It's not that big of a deal. All the shpiel about membership etc couldn't be anymore irrelevant to the topic.

A clubs image comes down to it's historical origins. The colours and the V represents Sydney just as much as the opera house does. If the club went and designed some weird new jumper then we have the right to jump up and down. To revert back to a modern design of a historical jumper is fair game. Not that big a deal it doesn't take anything away from Sydney. The club is the Sydney swans and based in Sydney, there's your skin in the game lol. It only took me 15 years to realise the opera house wasn't a swans feathers.
Don't tell me what's relevant to my feelings... how would you know???

I don't care what other teams are doing, I don't care if I'm the only person in existence to feel the way I do...

I'm still feeling it and owning it!

I don't need you or anyone else to agree with me, but I'll be right, royally pissed in there is a new jumper without reference to Sydney...

I could get on board with:

For games in Victoria (and clashes): the old South Melbourne red V, but maybe with the white Opera House sails etched into the tip of the V. References our Victorian heritage while still referencing the city our club is named after.

For games in NSW and other interstate matches: the standard red and white opera house home jumper that we won our last two flags in.

Best of both worlds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor argument

You want a Sydney symbol not a reference. The biggest reference is that they are called the Sydney Swans not South Melbourne and they are still the Sydney Swans when they wear the red V or a sash or hoops. I don’t think they suddenly lose their identity.

You’re just being completely selfish.

It’s a small compromise to honour the past with a few away or clash strip changes. Don’t think there has been any suggestion that they are removing an opera house from the jumper as a permanent thing and if they do it’s because of the opera house claiming for use of their brand.

We’re not Collingwood.

I’m hoping you get pissed off twice a year and they wear the red V as that would be double the opportunity to see the jumper I love. I then get to see them in the home jumper which I also love.

Can’t see the big deal

I'm Sydney born and raised having grown up as a 'Sydney Swans' supporter, but I have absolutely loved the Red V guernseys for many of the away games this year! Would be more than happy for the 'V' to be a staple for all Victorian away matches during the regular season indefinitely. I also wouldn't mind playing the Lions every year in both of our traditional colours, regardless of the venue, as a bit of a nod to the past.

Having said that, I like the opera sails as part of our current design and would like to retain them unless copyright issues absolutely force us to change. If it's just a matter of cost it would be nice if some of our more well off benefactors could contribute to maintain, what I think, is a pretty important part of our current history.

That or Errol's face smack-bang in the middle...

Souths ? What has that got to do with following the club that become Sydney Swans ? who are Souths ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back