Change The Club Song

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring Back The Arrrrrs!!

View attachment 1126041

Has anyone else ever wondered what the bird shitting on Scott Hodges is supposed to represent? Is the bird the SANFL?

I'd have been over the moon if that guernsey had been adopted from the beginning. But noooooo, we got this instead.

BrrvUyXy.jpg

And what's up with Roger's 'Hello sailor' look?

We had 5 complete jumper changes in the 32 years between our foundation in 1870 and landing with the right branding in 1902 with the bars. Along with 4 nicknames before landing with magpies those being seasiders, seasidemen, mudholians and magentas. There nothing wrong with questioning our image until we get it right.

"I am the Great Mudholian. I need TP for my Bunghole."

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We had 5 complete jumper changes in the 32 years between our foundation in 1870 and landing with the right branding in 1902 with the bars. Along with 4 nicknames before landing with magpies those being seasiders, seasidemen, mudholians and magentas. There nothing wrong with questioning our image until we get it right.

I don't think you can compare public image, branding and merchandising from the 1800's to now.
The fact that we had so many different guernseys prior to the prison bars actually hurt our case in wearing them in the AFL.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
We didn’t change it to something weak, we literally picked the strongest term possible 😂. Added to nature’s most powerful action and a big fu** off fist!

if anything we went too strong 😂😂

Weak in terms of branding potential though. Too abstract. Not easy to engage with from the perspective of a footy supporter. Not well defined. In retrospect very 90s.

Not too late to correct that mistake, we're already half way there by minimising the Power branding in favour of Port stuff.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I wonder if we were steered away from having a maritime themed mascot due to the Dockers i.e. another thing deemed “too similar” by the powers that be?

Possibly, but that's what they get I guess for admitting 2 Port regions one after the other like that.

I was obviously not privy to the conversations at the time but I think if we wanted Pirates we would have gotten it.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I don't think you can compare public image, branding and merchandising from the 1800's to now.

Major sports teams still change names for all sorts of reasons.

The Washington Bullets, Redskins and the Cleveland Indians all dropped names, as have the Edmonton Eskimoes.

The New Orleans Hornets changed to the Pelicans. The Charlotte Bobcats took back the Hornets name for Charlotte.

I know that was for different reasons but it can absolutely be done.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Major sports teams still change names for all sorts of reasons.

The Washington Bullets, Redskins and the Cleveland Indians all dropped names, as have the Edmonton Eskimoes.

The New Orleans Hornets changed to the Pelicans. The Charlotte Bobcats took back the Hornets name for Charlotte.

I know that was for different reasons but it can absolutely be done.

Because of gang violence and racism? I think their hand might have been forced somewhat.

Yeah, it can be done, but not because "teal is yucky" Actually Charlotte changed back to teal.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
When I've heard Bucky talk about the Power nick I'm not sure Pirates was ever really seriously considered in depth, a poll for members on nicks really should've been done I think Pirates would've romped in with that approach.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Because of gang violence and racism? I think their hand might have been forced somewhat.

Yeah, it can be done, but not because "teal is yucky" Actually Charlotte changed back to teal.

This isn't about teal. Teal is an obvious 3rd colour for Pirates anyway because of the ocean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I wonder if we were steered away from having a maritime themed mascot due to the Dockers i.e. another thing deemed “too similar” by the powers that be?

Probably there was also a connection with the Torrens Island Power station which is in Port territory. There was a committee formed at the time and I had access to what was discussed and they wanted a two syllable name that was unique and had a connection to the Port. As Greg Boulton said at the time the Magpie had served us well and we didn't want another bird or an animal. Most of the marketing hype went through a marketing agency out at Norwood and they also had input.

The Power to Win song was co written by an original member of Cold Chisel the late Les Kaczmarek and Quentin Eyres. The Club actually called for submissions and one of the failed candidates was that of Norwood and Crows supporting big noise Greg Champion who was quite pissed off when his song didn't win the chocolates.

All history now but back on August 31st 1995 Greg Bolton announced we would forever be known as Port Power. It didn't last because that was changed to Port Adelaide Power some years later. The link below is worth a look as it has Greg Boulton's announcement as well as the likes of Stephen Williams, Timmy Ginever, Scott Hodges, Darren Mead, Clive Waterhouse and that George some one or other running among the audience. As I remember the Port Club song was announced some weeks later. They use John Lennon's Power to the People as background music and Jimmy Barnes also sang Working Class Man on the night.

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
And mocked senseless by everyone else. And we would have ended up looking like those tossers who sit behind the Richmond goal every week.

Why is Pirates any more worthy of mockery than any other nickname?

Do you think the Pittsburgh Pirates or Tampa Bay Buccaneers are getting mocked senseless?

We got mocked senseless for Power anyway in the first decade or so.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This isn't about teal. Teal is an obvious 3rd colour for Pirates anyway because of the ocean.

Can't remember how much the new logo cost us but I think it will be with us for quite some time, and rightfully so. Power isn't represented here and we're fine with teal. So that really only leaves the song and the mascot running around, which are so minimal to the gameday experience anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back