Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
Right lads, now I know what you’re going to say: Why? Well I will tell you why.

First. It’s Montana. It’s MONTANA, probably the most synonymous name in the NFL.

Second. Montana is probably the most synonymous name associated with the Super Bowl. According to Google: “While a member of the 49ers, Montana started and won four Super Bowls and was the first player ever to have been named Super Bowl Most Valuable Player three times. He also holds Super Bowl career records for most passes without an interception (122 in four games) and the all-time highest passer rating of 127.8.”

Not only that, but he did all of this in what most people would conclude is the toughest era in NFL history. One time when SA played Victoria in a state game, before my time admittedly, the story goes that Alex Jesaulenko stood back and applauded Robran in the heat of battle. Similarly, if Brady and Montana were pitted against each other at their peaks, Brady would stand back and applaud Montana.

Third. Who is Vince Lombardi anyway? I Googled him. He won a few games as coach of the Packers. But let’s be real, no one would seriously mention Lombardi in the same breath as Montana. Not being disrespectful to Lombardi, I’m sure he was a gun coach and administrator, but Montana was a jet. No offence to any Packer fans either, but it’s Montana we’re talking about here.

Fourth. Whilst, Lombardi is a pretty cool name (if my surname was Lombardi, I’d be happy with it), it does not roll off the tongue like “Montana”. Imagine saying ‘Montana’ if a chick asked you for your name?

Fifth. Can you imagine it? The Super Bowl could then be nicknamed the ‘Montana Bowl’ interchangeably with the ‘Joe Montana Trophy’. How awesome would that be? Would get even more people watching it too because of the Montana factor. For the record, it would still officially be the Super Bowl so I’m not suggesting anything too radical.

Am I biased in suggesting this? Maybe a little. But I have pretty much hit the nail on the head.

So what do you all reckon?

Now if you lads will all excuse me, I have to think about my reasoning for when I suggest in the soccer section that the Premier League trophy be christened the ‘Steven Gerrard Trophy’. As much as I love Gerrard, this will be a tough ask because he does not have the impact in the Premier League that Montana had in the National Football League.

Later lads, hope you blokes are, and stay, virus free.

You do realise that Montana got let go to the chiefs (where he did nothing) so Steve Young could smash the chargers.

Joe Montana couldn't even get a football video game out. He spruiked it for two or three years, touting it, put his name to it, and in the end nothing happened. Fail.

😂

What a loser.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Joe Montana couldn't even get a football video game out. He spruiked it for two or three years, touting it, put his name to it, and in the end nothing happened. Fail.

But are we going to change the name due to onfield achievements or for bringing video games to market?

Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Come on lads I was hoping for a more sensible discussion than what I have seen thus far. Most of the responses are trollic in nature. Why shouldn't the Super Bowl trophy be named after Montana? The guy is a legend of the game.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Come on lads I was hoping for a more sensible discussion than what I have seen thus far. Most of the responses are trollic in nature. Why shouldn't the Super Bowl trophy be named after Montana? The guy is a legend of the game.
Why should it be named after him? He hasn't done anything anyone else hasn't done

Back