Changes afoot, Spring 2001

Remove this Banner Ad

RacerX

All Australian
Mar 25, 2001
Myaree
Other Teams
Fremantle Dockers
Well folks, we all pulled through what was the toughest season yet for the Dockers.

BA played the part of interim coach and managed to snare us two wins. Don't forget we were looking down the barrel of 0 and 22 a couple of rounds back. He has basically said he is happy to finish his brief coaching stint so there is no chance of putting his name in for next year.

I'm actually half excited about the coming period for the Dockers. New players and coaches and probably quite a few organisational changes down at Freo Oval. It will be interesting seeing Schwab in action.

Finishing the season with a win was fantastic. Hats off to Belly. One of the positives from that match is the comraderie it will build between the players. Some of the guys who may have been considering their future elsewhere will no doubt see Freo in a much more positive light.

I'm not predicting huge changes in the player list. Just a few changes would be good. Funny thing to say after a 2 and 20 season isn't it. I guess I find it hard to dissmiss any player once I've seen them in the freo guernsy.

We'll be heading up the ladder in 2002, of that I am certain.
What do you guys reckon?

Its amazing what a win can do. Like you racerX I am looking forward to what next year brings. I cant see us performing brilliantly but a move up the ladder is a definite (even if its only a few spots).

Theres a few changes that need to be made to the list. A few players come to mind that probably wont be there next year. I hope Fletcher and Kickett certainly are.

Lets just hope that we now take a few steps forward instead of several backwards. A new president, a new CEO, a new coach and some elected board members and the future looks promising.

changes needed

Yeah it was great to finish the season with a win.A very good win against very good opposition.Maybe the boys are ready to believe in each other and in themselves.Allan certainly made some difference to the way they played,but in fairness to Drummy he was the one who brought some of the kids to the club.
Unlike you racex i see lots of change to our squad.I believe there will be 10 either delisted or traded,and 5 maybe that I am not sure about.So here goes[and I know this will stir the pot].
Butler,Clancy,Fewster,Grover,Koops,Norrish,Prescott,Simpson,Wirra and Toia.The maybe list,Dodd,Shipp,Bandy,Bootsma and Schell.
It hurts me to put Shipp in the list because he is going to be a good player but his run of injuries make him suspect.Schell is another who worries me,he has done enough in the last few weeks to be given another chance next year,but may be good trade bait.
I'll just sit back and wait for the flack to come my way and get others thoughts.
My thoughts on the coaching position is Woosha first then Harvey with Allan as assistant.
I still have this sneaking suspicion that Wallace is still going to be the main target and may still come.He would be my first choice and again with BA as assistant.

Re: changes needed

Originally posted by anchor man

Unlike you racex i see lots of change to our squad.I believe there will be 10 either delisted or traded,and 5 maybe that I am not sure about.So here goes[and I know this will stir the pot].
Butler,Clancy,Fewster,Grover,Koops,Norrish,Prescott,Simpson,Wirra and Toia.The maybe list,Dodd,Shipp,Bandy,Bootsma and Schell.

Well anchor man I don't have a problem with a lot of the players you named - clearly you are not afraid to make the tough decisions (Toia, Dodd show that). I'll have a shot at naming names tomorrow - gotta meeting on at the moment.

Re: changes needed

WE cannot lose Grover, Toia, Shippy and Schell from that list!

Grover seemed like he was going to be a regular when I watched him in the Ansett Cup!

If we let go of Lukey babe, he will be feeling very hurt and upset and may decide that its not worth coming back from his injury plus he is an inaugural player......this is a very rare site at the moment.

Shipp plays well with Waterhouse in the forward line and if he goes back to melbourne, hes bound to be formed into a star which piddles( couldnt think of any other word ;) ) me off.

Schell was on my hate list (sorry dude) in the middle of the year but as the year has progressed, he has shown a lot of potential. Dont forget he is still pretty young and hasnt fully matured yet.

The only other one on the list worth anything is bandy but I say let him go somewhere else and become a star because he isnt doing it over here!! I want to see if he can offer anything to another team.....

Freo_Fan,I hope they keep Shipp as well as I am a big fan of his,he is tough and can play,just worried the wheelers and dealers may see him as trade bait.Schell I believe has done enough in the last few weeks to be worthwhile keeping.He will have to bulk up a bit and become harder at the ball though.Toia is a worry with his injury that is the only reason I put him on the list.Grover HHHMMMM not sure why I put him in,just not sure of his ability I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back