Unofficial Preview Changes and Discussion - Dogs round 16

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And as many Hodges as we can find
Happy Jim Carrey GIF

Rich will hit up a free player more often than not - either short-ish or long (if available). Contests are definitely a last option, but on Thursday we saw Melbourne flooding in and not giving any space to any of our players. The problem is that teams are leaving guys like Andrews or Gardiner free for the short-ish kick, and then zone up in front of them - we've now taken the ball out of Rich's hands, it's with someone who's an exploitable kick, and they can anticipate the next short chip across and intercept/cause a spill (happened several times on Thursday) or a shorter "long kick" to a contest.
You are kidding, I became very disillusioned when almost every kick in from Rich was so predictable, then in the Saints game it changed, the ball was coming in through the middle, plenty of run and pass, I think it surprised the mid field as there was fumbles and missed kicks. I loved it, it was exciting and showed we were more than a one trick pony, until this week, I just hope it was a plan to make the other teams think we have no idea what we are doing.

I thought I would respond to this statement:

It's silly to say that players can't improve. It's rare to see a complete change though, and it's also silly to say "something will be different this time" after the last 12 times.

That is BS.

After many years involved in football, the wife's brother who played AFL and an Association footballer (also selected in a Team of the Century) along with the many AFL Players who have been at my home. I have seen many complete changes in players and it is not rare - some players can perform early others take longer. My sons best mate, a good AFL player took ages to make AFL but through determination achieved his goal and became a great player but unfortunately got caught up in the Essendon saga. Another 2 individuals, came through our local football ranks through perseverance made AFL
and turned out great players and are Assistant Coaches in the AFL. I remember Deisel Williams who never gave up, told he was too slow - What a Champion. It's the old story: If you persist, train hard, work towards your goal and never give up no matter what - you will achieve goal when you get chances. I could note more players but to say it's rare is rubbish. Players often change and improve . Relates to a Statement concerning Matho.

Last edited:

Keep hearing about Starce being thrown into the middle and I too wouldn’t mind seeing how that would go.

It doesn’t however sound like a move this coaching staff would make mid season and is something that will have to wait till preseason I suspect (if at all), which I can understand also.
I agree that our staff wouldn't do it and that it part of the problem. We need to take a risk as our current midfield isn't going to beat the best teams. Whats the point of bringing in T.Berry and Robertson if they arent going to play in the midfield where they have been playing in the reserves? Doesnt make sense.
If you don't get better each year then you actually get worse results as others around you get better. I think we have roughly stayed around the same level for the past 2/3 years.

At this point i’d be bringing in Fort and putting Hipwood to the 2’s to find form, get some touches, remember how to kick a goal. We’ve certainly lost something since Hippy came back in, and unfortunately we no longer have the luxury to have him find form in the 1’s.

There’s still 8 rounds to go, plenty of time for him to find some form and get back to the seniors before finals.

As sad as it is, i also think it’s time to move on from Mitch. He’s not bringing more than AhChee or Prior, so get games into those boys. Mitch has been awesome for us, but i think he’s reached the end - and probably got a couple more years than most expected which is a credit to him.

Remember Ben Keays? We delisted him in 2019 and then …

All the same arguments against Keays are being made against Mathieson. Keays goes to Adelaide, new coaches and a sustained run in the Seniors and now he is flying. He would be a walk up start in our side now.

Perhaps Mathieson should leave too.
You should also remember that it was a regular discussion that Keays was constantly played out of position in Brisbane. He never got midfield time.

Matho had midfield time, and plenty of it. Keays is not analogous to Matho in this scenario. He's analogous to Dev and TBez. Players being played in a position they aren't familiar with and then acting surprised when they aren't very good there.

His numbers where as good as any other 23 year old (before his knee) key position forward in the game.
The bloke who won last year’s Coleman medal was picked 4 spots before Hipwood in the 2015 draft.

So no, his numbers aren’t as good as any other 23 year old key position forward. Even before his knee injury.

Last edited:
If we are serious we come out and easily take care of the Bulldogs. We pick a win now team and pull the trigger on our ball movement. Gone past racking up wins to make the finals, have to smash a couple of the upcoming sides because from Round 20 the draw becomes a mini finals stretch and then we can worry about scraping wins.

Can we drop the whole team?

But more seriously:

In: Bailey, Zorko, Mathieson, Ah Chee, Lester
Out: T. Berry, Tunstill, Lyons, Robinson, Answerth

Much as I want to try Starce on-ball, Robertson deserves a real shot first.
Id love to see Starce on Ball, BUT Fages doest like changing things up to much, Hopefully over the pre season they can start that transition.

The bloke who won last year’s Coleman medal was picked 4 spots before Hipwood in the 2015 draft.

So no, his numbers aren’t as good as any other 23 year old key position forward. Even before his knee injury.
I beg to differ with you on that one. Before last year, Hippy and McKay had extremely similar stat sheets. Hippy has a higher yearly goal total as he was more durable. Break that down on a per game basis and they are nearly identical. Last year was different. McKay was the only focal point for that team. Extremely different for Hippy. Let alone the fact that they are very very different builds.

I beg to differ with you on that one. Before last year, Hippy and McKay had extremely similar stat sheets. Hippy has a higher yearly goal total as he was more durable. Break that down on a per game basis and they are nearly identical. Last year was different. McKay was the only focal point for that team. Extremely different for Hippy. Let alone the fact that they are very very different builds.
They are both key forwards. Different types of key forwards, but key forwards none the less.

Don't post much but for game vs Western Bulldogs ...

Bailey in for T Berry. (IMO he has no future> he struggles to get a kick even in the Ressies)
Zorko in for Robbo (he is done. OK got 2 goals through experience but otherwise ineffective)
Forte in for Hippy (Hippy adds nothing in current form. Dogs have a small defence & down on ruck stocks)
Matho in for Dev (Dev tries hard but does not get it enough and kicking is woeful. I'd trade him to WCE for a bit of capital to help get Ashcroft)

I'd also like to try Fullarton again as a ruck forward before the end of the year, and have Lester, Ah Chee, Gardner and Prior on notice. I would give Tunstill another game this week, but he Answerth and Lyons should be on notice. I would also play McCluggage more outside especially if Beast & Zorko are in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changes V Dogs

Hipwood out - Fort or Fullerton. Was going to say Fort But Fullerton kicked 3. 3 goals today V pies VFL and looked impressive. Hipwood had a really strong game his 1st game back V the Crows, since then just seemed to have got worse and worse.

Tunstill Out - Bailey in. I am not generally in favour of dropping a debutant after one game BUT .....he wasn't done many favours debuting MCG V the Dees, and unfortunately had a poor game.

M Robbo out - IN Zorks. I think we all love Robbos enthusiasm and absolute love for the contested side of things. BUT unfortunately this yr has slipped well off the pace, only 10 touches on Thurs and his kicking is hit and hope.

D Robbo Out - IN Matho. Ok I am a big fan of Dev Robbo, but I am not sure what is going on with him. not sure if he is being played out of position or what it is, But 3rd year in the system should be really cemented in best 22. Matho his ball use is never going to be elite, BUT 43 touches against the Pies VFL team today, pretty sure 40 plus in previous VFL match. We need some strengthening to our midfield group and Matho would add that.

Prior - Can't see getting a call up, very underwhelming in VFL today only 10 touches.
Sharp - Seems to be getting better in ressies, would have to be close to re call, could come in to replace Robbo playing that wing role.
Lohman - Returned in VFL today, looked impressive I wouldn't be surprised if he got a call up, just would add some much needed spark and X factor to our forward line.
Wilmot - Doesn't unfortunately at this stage look ready for step up.

Bailey in for T Berry. (IMO he has no future> he struggles to get a kick even in the Ressies)
You're entitled to your opinion, but I wouldn't post easily disprovable nonsense claims like this.

Screenshot_20220626-064316.png

Screenshot_20220626-064400.png

Screenshot_20220626-064505.png

These are his statlines from the last three reserves games he played in. You really want to tell us he struggles to get a kick there?

(Dev tries hard but does not get it enough and kicking is woeful. I'd trade him to WCE for a bit of capital to help get Ashcroft)
Ew, no. Dev is part of our future. He's worth more than anything West Coast would offer in return. You can manufacture points through trading back instead of selling off useful players.

So who’s spot in the midfield should Keays have taken? Have you watched many of the crows games? Matt Crouch is being forced out because he, Laird and Keays are very similar… just chuck it in the boot and rather poor disposal. I still feel Keays would be a liability in a top 6-8 team.
Keays gets the hard ball (at least 25 disposals every match ) a consistency that only Neale matches and which Lyons at the moment doesn't get near. Keays has taken his game to a new level once again this season and he would be a walk up start for our present midfield.

We made a mistake delisting him but even our staff can't get everything right so lets move on.

Keays would definitely get a spot in our midfield but we don’t have one of the top 8-10 midfields in the comp

I‘d put us behind Melbourne, Bulldogs, Freo, Geelong, Carlton, Saints, Sydney and GWS. The other teams would play him if he was already on their list.

Keays gets the hard ball (at least 25 disposals every match ) a consistency that only Neale matches and which Lyons at the moment doesn't get near. Keays has taken his game to a new level once again this season and he would be a walk up start for our present midfield.

We made a mistake delisting him but even our staff can't get everything right so lets move on.
He does that now… but two years ago when he was delisted, he wasn’t even doing that at Neafl level. He got an extremely late call up to the crows. He had signed up to play in the vfl. Hind sight is a beautiful thing but it wasn’t a mistake at the time

He does that now… but two years ago when he was delisted, he wasn’t even doing that at Neafl level. He got an extremely late call up to the crows. He had signed up to play in the vfl. Hind sight is a beautiful thing but it wasn’t a mistake at the time
Keays was monstering the NEAFL when he was played in the midfield. However, most of the time he was played as a small forward. Not a noted high disposal position.

I know plenty are against it, but I think it's time we try Starce in the midfield if he's conditioned enough for the minutes. Big bodied contested bull and is a strong two way runner. If we're going to try and win the flag this year, we need one more midfielder and I don't see it coming from the VFL team. Either way, we absolutely need someone who can run both ways and win contested ball against the likes of Viney and Oliver.

Out: Tunstill, Tom Berry, Lyons (inj)
In: Ah Chee, Zorko, Bailey

Ah Chee to play as a small defender while Starce and Dev share the midfield load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back