Unofficial Preview Changes and discussion Qualifying Final @ ? v Demons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I doubt match committee will do this but I would be tempted to drop Fullerton and shift Adams forward to play a defensive role on Lever - similar to the old McStay role where the focus is to compete and just bring the ball to ground.

Joe would take back the second suck role. I have preferred Joe since he relinquished the ruck role but the options are becoming limited.

Melbourne's tall forwards are not overly damaging. Expect Harris to Brown, Diz to McDonald and Frog to Jackson.
What about Adams? I would probably have him on McDonald, and Diz to take Jackson. Maybe Lester on Fritsch?

twhowler

All Australian
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Win or lose, it won't be off the back of Kiddy playing or not. He still has a long way to go in his development, and is hardly the difference in a game of footy. Showing great early signs, and for mine is probably first 1 in to cover injuries in that back group.

Melbourne play like us, they like to force the long kick where May and Lever can intercept mark, then they launch from turnover, using kicks to move the ball catching the opposition out on transition. They back this up with strong clearance and ball winning ability to win the ball when it is contested.

We have to bring our defensive intensity around the ball. We need to have a real burning hunger for the contest and lead with the defensive work. We can't allow them to chip the ball through the 45 angles or we will get ripped apart.

Likewise, we need to do the same to them. Maintain possession and give ourselves time to get our set-ups right. Use the ball well, play on quickly and hit up the shorter first option kicks, keep the ball in motion and pump it deep. We have the best attack in the league, if we give them a chance we can kick a winning score. When we can't move the ball, and we do go long down the line, we can not allow them to mark the ball, and our hunger around the contest needs to be there to win back the crumbs and keep pushing it forward.
Kiddy is not the second coming. But we will be so slow with birchall, lester, harris, gardiner, rich. Just having a bit more zip on the transition could easily save a goal or two. He also set up a couple last week. Birchall doesn’t any more. Kiddy could be the difference

What about Adams? I would probably have him on McDonald, and Diz to take Jackson. Maybe Lester on Fritsch?

"I don't think you have too many dramas getting Harris in, I might be back out again," Adams said on Tuesday. "I'm pretty sure we'll find room for him and Mitch Rob; they're pretty influential and important ... but it's a challenge because someone who's played well is making way."

It could be Harris, Gardiner, Lester, Birchall, Starce, Rich and Coleman coming off bench. I don't agree with this but knowing Fagan, this might be pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back