Unofficial Preview Changes and discussion Round 15 v the Demons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After such a good win away I struggle to see that many should be dropped. Should almost be no unforced changes.

Only exemption would be Berry back in - probably for Allison. Allison didnt have a great game but think played well defensively. Little unlucky.

I can't see Bailey in for Lester as think we would be too short in the back line. If Bailey is in (I'd be fine with another week to ensure his fitness) it would be in for Answerth. Lester would only go out for a taller player for me

After such a good win away I struggle to see that many should be dropped. Should almost be no unforced changes.

Only exemption would be Berry back in - probably for Allison. Allison didnt have a great game but think played well defensively. Little unlucky.

I can't see Bailey in for Lester as think we would be too short in the back line. If Bailey is in (I'd be fine with another week to ensure his fitness) it would be in for Answerth. Lester would only go out for a taller player for me

What about Hodge?

Two weeks out from the bye I think Hodge plays.

I also think Bailey probably should get another week or two in the reserves to test out that hamstring in a lower stakes setting.

On Berry, he is definitely best 22 but he’s had a disrupted year. I wonder if this last break might be a bridge too far for automatic recall.

Two weeks out from the bye I think Hodge plays.

I also think Bailey probably should get another week or two in the reserves to test out that hamstring in a lower stakes setting.

On Berry, he is definitely best 22 but he’s had a disrupted year. I wonder if this last break might be a bridge too far for automatic recall.
I tend to agree . I know we need him but you'd want to be sure he's 100%.

Playing Bailey last time probably cost us a game so yeah, be running the ruler over him with a fine tooth comb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne have been garbage going inside 50 but I do wonder whether we have the size and in-and-under chops to go with them in the midfield. Harris should dine out on their attacking ball at least.

Mentioned it in the review thread but Allison was playing a defensive role on Billings.

Yep I thought he was ok, got to a few important contests early in the game.
Thought Lester was reasonable as well.

Definitely bring Berry in when he is fit, whoever misses out will rightfully feel unlucky.

Berry for Allison the logical change. Walker in for Lester if we want to go taller up forward.

Given Bailey has done two hammies already this year I think he needs a longer period in the NEAFL to make sure he is ready to play in the Seniors.
I think Walker has to be a chance this week with Melbourne’s taller forward line, but then I said that last week and we had no issues against the Saints.

I think the point is that it is more risky to put him in the seniors because if he does a hammy in the first quarter we are down a runner for the rest of the game!
Not so much of a risk in the 2’s!
Needs another game in the 2’s to prove his Hammy is up to it, after having done it twice already!

I agree.

I really like Bailey but the last time he "came back" from a hammy, he not only broke down again in his "first start after a spell" but looked generally out of touch in the game time he played before it happened.

Once bitten twice shy, so at least another week in the NEAFL for my money.

Fages has a track record of liitle or no changes to a winning formula.

Having said that, I thought Allison was pretty ordinary and was guilty of some pretty poor handpasses that put team mates under pressure.

If either Berry or Bailey are fit , one should come in for Allison.

If not, maybe Squizzy or even Cutts.
Fagan said on Sunday, Cutler is still recovering from the stress fracture in his foot and probably won't even play in the neafl this week

I don't disagree that the guys have promise, but I don't think we can say we know they're going to be better players than those already in the team. Of that list i would have bailey as the only one i would firmly have that opinion of. The rest are all speculative at best. I liked Starcevich and his attributes, something just screams Yeo to me there but its still a very big question mark as to how he develops. I'm not quite sure on the strike rate of draftees etc but at best you'll probably have 50-60% of them on your list in 3-4 years time.

I mean you look at 2007 to 2016 drafts(not including the last 2 drafts as those guys are on their initial contract still) of drafting and of the 58 National Draft picks (so not even rookies unless we've elevated them) there's 16 left on our list (of which 10 are from the last 2 years i counted in 2015 and 2016) as well as another 13 on other AFL lists in the comp (geez never ceases to shock me how much we've lost over the years - albeit a number are in their last year or close to it i'd imagine - hanley, henderson, longer)

If you extrapolate that it means there's about a 50% chance of our draftees actually going on to play AFL football, so a number of guys on our list will be gone in the next 3-4 years and will most likely never make it at AFL level unfortunately.
This is so good, I did these numbers last year when we were discussing Trading or Drafting. You draft you get a 50/50 chance of a footballer in your top 22 but trade, well your odds are much increased. You can however draft an absolute champion that would be too high a price at the trading table and I'd say in the last 3 years we might have got a couple of them.

It’s tough because we won, but as others have said, if fit those two guys HAVE to come back in

Fages’ mantra is to improper every week. If we couple that with the new reality of chasing September, we must continue to do everything required to get better

Juice comes straight in, pointless bringing him back through the neafl. At his worst he will provide a Mathieson like performance, which ultimately is still a big upgrade on anything Allison/Lester are gonna provide

Bailey if fit also needs to be in our side. Sure he can make a clanger but he’s just about an automatic selection for mine. Our backline hasn’t seemed the same since he’s been out. We are so easy to score against on a fast break it’s sometimes embarrassing! Offensively he is a line breaking half back with no fear at the contest.

With bailey in, fit and hopefully in form it makes us a wayyyy better side with a pretty awesome back six

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back