Unofficial Preview Changes and discussion v Hawks Round 19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for changes; I'm going with Walker and Keays / Corey Lyons in and Hipwood (too underdone) and Rayner out.

I genuinely want Cam to do well, but he's been borderline invisible the past fortnight. His goalkicking is ineffective and the fact he's now not doing the I50 defensive work is worrying. As I was harping on months ago, send him back to the NEAFL for a few weeks just to get his touch and work on a few things (which countless others have had to do) then bring him back because he is an integral part of the side, particularly come finals time and it'd be awesome to have a fit and firing Rayner come September.
He hasn't made our best players all year. Usually in our bottom 2 or 3 . He really looked like he was going to do something last night and kept fumbling ,getting overrun/outrun. I've been thinking all year a spell in the twos might lance the boil and get him firing again but who knows , the selectors are likely to stick now I'd imagine.

Does lewy Taylor come in for the hawks game as he seems to play well against them? Was one of our top 3 against them at the gabba this year.

I wouldn't mind giving Wooller a chance ahead of Keays if Rayner was to be dropped. We know what Keays can do.

Wooller could then potentially take McStay or Rayners spot.

I agree N Robbo.. not sure for who. Breust is his best tagmate :)
not sure Hippy injured or missed a week and was a little under or both.

Do we go Walker again or try something different like Wooler. You think Fagan is like for like setup guy.

Would drop Bailey for Keays or Robertson.

I just don't see it with Bailey. Panics under pressure, poor skills when he's not under pressure and gives away silly free kicks. Lots to work with long term but there's others that offer more at the moment. If he wasn't a high draft pick I don't think everyone would think as highly of him. AFL player ratings continually has him as one of our worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Rayner and/or Bailey are under the pump I'd love to see Corey Lyons get a go.

We don't need another inside mid in the side. Jarryd has been excellent since the bye and it might be a coincidence but Beast Mode hasn't played the last few weeks.

If Rayner/Bailey get dropped then it will be for a pressure forward or someone who offers outside run.

We don't need another inside mid in the side. Jarryd has been excellent since the bye and it might be a coincidence but Beast Mode hasn't played the last few weeks.

If Rayner/Bailey get dropped then it will be for a pressure forward or someone who offers outside run.
Come on Tom just say it, you want Tom Cutler in the side don't you?

If Cutler had played this season we would be outright first on the ladder. Fages has lost the plot!
If we select Cutler, call me crazy but I can't see where we'd lose a game this year.

If the weather looks wet and wild and windy Hippy to be replaced by a small.

Rayner needs to find the footy. Maybe 2 quarters on the wing?

I doubt he has anything like the aerobic capacity required to play wing.

He's a medium forward/ part time centre square player right now and i don't see that changing in the immediate future. It's a difficult position to play well but having said that, I think it might be time he got a spell. Fages was honest enough to admit he was close to being dropped a few weeks ago but he saved his skin with a much improved performance the next week.

He's been struggling again the last couple of weeks and it must be getting increasingly difficult for the coach/match committee to explain to the likes of Keays, Wooler and even Lewy Taylor why they are not getting a call up.

In: Walker and Keays
Out Hipwood (Managed) Rayner (Omitted)

Keays was desperately unlucky to be dropped after the Port Adelaide game. His stats against Port were:

Ben Keays: 15 disposals 3 clearances 2 tackles and 2 goal assists.

Compare this with Cam Rayner for the same game.

Cam Rayner: 7 disposals 0 clearances 0 tackles 1 goal and 1 goal assist.

Once again, Fagan appears to have ignored Rayner’s indifferent form. So what happened last night? When the match was there to be won? Rayner didn’t get a single possession in the last quarter and his match stats were:

Cam Rayner: 6 disposals 0 clearances 2 tackles and 0 goal assists.

With Finals coming up and the side well placed to have a serious tilt at a Premiership, we can’t afford to have passengers getting games and no matter how great his promise and prospects for the future, Rayner has not repaid the faith and patience that Fagan has put into him. Also, consideration needs to be given to rewarding players who are working hard to gain senior selection and who do not seem to be afforded the same preferential treatment or degree of indulgence when they do crack it for a Senior game.

Hipwood on the other hand needs a rest. Based on last night, he came back too soon.
Wouldn't be against Keays for Cam and if Hippy is still sore I'm not sure Walker is the answer, he plays down back at a higher level .
And hasn't been given a go up front in a starting position since last year, all the time our talls haven't exactly been puting it all together, so just don't see it happening. We could have Marcus up forward and Walker down back.
I thought Walker would of done his role if he had been in Marcus's spot last night fwiw.

He hasn't made our best players all year. Usually in our bottom 2 or 3 . He really looked like he was going to do something last night and kept fumbling ,getting overrun/outrun. I've been thinking all year a spell in the twos might lance the boil and get him firing again but who knows , the selectors are likely to stick now I'd imagine.
Still 5 H&A games to sought the mix and plenty of time for Cam as well if he were to go back .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back