Unofficial Preview Changes and discussion v the Giants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really looking forward to this test. I am also looking forward to going in as underdog, much more comfortable there. Huge chance to make a statement and GWS are gettable. Don't like they have the extra 3 days break on us, but if we are good enough, it shouldn't matter. Big opportunity and I am strangely optimistic we can give it a red hot go.
I like that they have a nine day break. They were coming off a 9 day break against Essendon. I'm hoping they haven't got their training program worked out 100% for this length break. In addition, they finished the game off poorly & we had finished off pretty well.
Going in the underdog is great. I'm hopeful it free's up some players mentally. We have a several players, imo, who *can go up a level, under those conditions. Then we'd be scary good!

*edit

Last edited:

If Big O doesn't get up, please bring in anyone who can stand tall and take a mark in the wing.
I'd even take Walker's ruck + spread compared to Archie.

If and that is if, we bring in another tall I'm going with Skinner. he has been playing back and forward in the Reserves and helping out in the ruck. He is a perfect fit for the 3rd tall at either end until Adams gets enough games under his belt. Skinner has been knocking on the door hard for the big man spot if we choose to go with another or, bless my cotton socks, we choose to give Mr McStay some kicking practice in the reserves where he could kick 10 or more in one game. If the flu is running in the team then it could be anyone out but withered will come back in and I'd suspect Big O misses the week he look really shaken.

Well how did you become King then Brett C? I didn’t vote for you.

"Oh king eh? Oh very nice!

How'd you get that then?

By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma that perpetuates the differences in our society"#

# with apologies to Eric Idle and Monty Python and the Holy Graille;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see Adams debut this week & his inclusion would not really surprise. From what was said in an interview on the Lions website, Adams would be coming up for consideration after three (or so) games in the NEAFL. The bloke interviewed was a bit vague & cagey (imo) about their exact plans for him. Adams knee clean up has been a success. He's fit & was recruited because he's a gun like McCarthy & Neale are. We need him against a tall Giants forward line. It's the perfect scenario for what they said they recruited him for. Also, wouldn't it be sensational for Adams to debut & play well in an underdog victory, against a serious side, that puts us back in the top four 😎

*edit grammar

Last edited:
It is interesting that posters have commented on Rayner this week and said he wasn't too bad, except for a few terrible kicks and fumbles, but I think he is showing some improvement because he is not being crucified by being played week after week as a high forward. It's much harder getting a kick in the goal square than wide out on the wing. Now he is playing up the ground he looks so much better.

I thought that giving him a week or two in the reserves would have been a good idea but now I think we needed to give him more mid field time in the seniors. People say his endurance is not elite so only give him a few minutes. Solves that problem.

He hasn't been handled well?

It is interesting that posters have commented on Rayner this week and said he wasn't too bad, except for a few terrible kicks and fumbles, but I think he is showing some improvement because he is not being crucified by being played week after week as a high forward. It's much harder getting a kick in the goal square than wide out on the wing. Now he is playing up the ground he looks so much better.

I thought that giving him a week or two in the reserves would have been a good idea but now I think we needed to give him more mid field time in the seniors. People say his endurance is not elite so only give him a few minutes. Solves that problem.

I think based on the last 2 weeks his form has turned around. His finishing just isn’t quite there.

So I would say he has been handled well and gained invaluable experience.

I agree entirely. With Christensen in the side and in form and Charlie always on the brink of cutting loose, there is less of an immediate need for Rayner in the forward line. I agree that rotating Rayner through the middle and giving him some time in defence is the best option. By all means send him forward as an ‘impact’ player from time to time, but the priority has to be getting the ball into his hands and building confidence. Based on the Melbourne game, it is clear that this is the plan. This is a much better idea than having him sitting on the pine for extended periods, which is what we saw in the Carlton game. Rayner playing as a rebounding defender / midfielder seems a much better option.

"Oh king eh? Oh very nice!

How'd you get that then?

By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma that perpetuates the differences in our society"#

# with apologies to Eric Idle and Monty Python and the Holy Graille;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back