Preview Changes and discussion WB v StKilda Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Dale is coming in for Richards, not Williams. Daniel is replacing Williams and obviously Libba for McLean.

I would have dropped Smith though and just have Williams play that role, Smith just doesn't get enough of the footy.

Williams has been one of our more solid players over the last few weeks, quite surprised he's been dropped.
Only thing I can think of is that he doesn't want to stay at the Bulldogs so we are just planning to play those who will be sticking around.

Really hope this is not the case. I’m very surprised he has been left out

For what it's worth I've heard from a friend at Footscray that Williams has been told he needs to work on his contested game aswell as getting back to help out the defenders a bit more, with so many players in his position they're wanting him to add a point of difference. Also in the same convo I got told both him and the club are looking to re-sign but it won't be until our season is over and both can see how his developing.
Thanks Mojorisin.

I've no idea if this is true but it's a perfectly logical and reasonable explanation. And yet the only way many of our supporters can see it is "oh well he must have told them he's leaving" or "oh well, he'll definitely be going back to SA now".

Lewis Young says hi as well. As somebody pointed out Young is 20. Williams is 21. Both making their way and both stand a fairly good chance of making the grade. Just as long as we have clear conversations with them about what they need to be doing to cement their spot and we give them the opportunity to work on it. That's how it looks from here anyway.

Dale's probably in a similar boat. Probably got told what he had to work on and has since done so over 2-3 weeks. Suddenly he gets a recall. Fancy that!

I (and several others) have been pointing out the importance of having a high standard of performance from our "bottom" 4-5 players in the selected 22 each week. Or at least an even and solid contribution. It was a significant factor in our winning the flag in 2016. Now in 2019 we are at last in the happy position of having a light injury list so we can afford to work on those bottom 5. That's where each of these three blokes are. Probably Ed Richards and Roarke Smith too.

I haven't been a great fan of Dale but I wouldn't mind betting he really cracks in on Sunday tomorrow. For his sake let's hope so.

Last edited:
Hopefully Dale does something to keep his spot. Can’t understand Williams getting dropped, but then someone had to make way for CD. Matt Dougie, you got your wish mate!

Dropping Williams for Dale makes no sense at all if you have been watching the two performing over the last 8 weeks.

Moreover we have been winning with Williams contributing in defence and on the wing. Port and Geelong games have been our two best games of the season.

Williams has been one of our more solid players over the last few weeks, quite surprised he's been dropped.
Only thing I can think of is that he doesn't want to stay at the Bulldogs so we are just planning to play those who will be sticking around.
Williams doesn't want to go to SA and wants a dogs contract. Besties with roarke and Caleb and SA teams not interested. Will just have to work his butt off.

You wouldn't have brought in 2 premiership players?
Weve moved the ball the best we have in 2 years this past month. You dont f**k with something that is working splendidly.

This is all my opinion as a spectator. The coaches obviously have their own standards and expectations.

I decided to have my Lucky Meal this evening since I didn't feel like cooking. And it was a winner, as we will be on Sunday. Mr Uber Eats delivered me a delicious soft shelled crab burger with two potato cakes and a Greek salad. The crab burger had a tasty coleslaw and spicy aioli and the bun was grilled. The potato cakes were advertised as handmade and non-processed and were about the best I've ever had. Therefore, there is no doubt we shall have a victory against the Saints. So say I. So say we all!🛸

Thanks Mojorisin.

I've no idea if this is true but it's a perfectly logical and reasonable explanation. And yet the only way many of our supporters can see it is "oh well he must have told them he's leaving" or "oh well, he'll definitely be going back to SA now".

Lewis Young says hi as well. As somebody pointed out Young is 20. Williams is 21. Both making their way and both stand a fairly good chance of making the grade. Just as long as we have clear conversations with them about what they need to be doing to cement their spot and we give them the opportunity to work on it. That's how it looks from here anyway.

Dale's probably in a similar boat. Probably got told what he had to work on and has since done so over 2-3 weeks. Suddenly he gets a recall. Fancy that!

I (and several others) have been pointing out the importance of having a high standard of performance from our "bottom" 4-5 players in the selected 22 each week. Or at least an even and solid contribution. It was a significant factor in our winning the flag in 2016. Now in 2019 we are at last in the happy position of having a light injury list so we can afford to work on those bottom 5. That's where each of these three blokes are. Probably Ed Richards and Roarke Smith too.

I haven't been a great fan of Dale but I wouldn't mind betting he really cracks in tomorrow. For his sake let's hope so.
My info isn't always as spot on or regular as others share on here but my source is good 7/10 depending on how far the information has trickled down. I only share the ones I'm most confident in. I'm interested to see how Williams goes on the weekend, they're planning to give him an extended run in the middle to hopefully teach him how to find targets in less space and improve his response rate. I guess we will find out in the coming weeks, hopefully he responds in the way I think he will and come out with some extra intensity and hunger whilst keeping his dare which will see him return to afl level quickly.

Dale for Richards and Daniel for Williams. Williams has been solid enough but not outstanding or influential enough to displace Daniel the incumbent returning from injury. Simple as that really.

Slightly more interesting is Dale for Richards. Richards output likely a factor but its also right for left.

Some may have noticed the left bias that shows up on the team possession heat map. We appear to favour attacking down left and going I50 from that side of the ground.

Unsurprising really when you consider many of our better and more influential players are natural lefties. Bont, Macrae, Hunter, Libba, Suckling....Richards too.

I often wondered if it made us somewhat predictable. Oh yeah, the dogs will come at us down the left for sure.

Is Dale part of a balancing up of the right and left attacking flanks and perhaps making us a little less predictable.

Williams out is just showing too many Half
Back Flankers.He didn't do anything wrong.
And if Dureya wasn't recruited then he'd be playing.Nothing against Dureya he played great last week.And hope he keeps playing great Football.But too many Hbf 's is the reality.Williams suffers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dale for Richards and Daniel for Williams. Williams has been solid enough but not outstanding or influential enough to displace Daniel the incumbent returning from injury. Simple as that really.

Slightly more interesting is Dale for Richards. Richards output likely a factor but its also right for left.

Some may have noticed the left bias that shows up on the team possession heat map. We appear to favour attacking down left and going I50 from that side of the ground.

Unsurprising really when you consider many of our better and more influential players are natural lefties. Bont, Macrae, Hunter, Libba, Suckling....Richards too.

I often wondered if it made us somewhat predictable. Oh yeah, the dogs will come at us down the left for sure.

Is Dale part of a balancing up of the right and left attacking flanks and perhaps making us a little less predictable.
Maybe.
Or maybe you're over-thinking it. I like your over-thinking though.

I reckon we go left way too much. Has got better recently but there's often an acre of space out right and we kick it to the congested left. We've got better at switching as the season has gone on. JJ's return may have helped.

Weve moved the ball the best we have in 2 years this past month. You dont f**k with something that is working splendidly.

This is all my opinion as a spectator. The coaches obviously have their own standards and expectations.

Not entirely true Dergert. We’ve gone a lot of long balls to contests lately forcing our mids and half fwds/def to shoulder a lot of the work when the ball hits the ground. Not the cleanest footy by a long way. Two of our last four games have been very ordinary in regards to ball movement particularly against Port and Melb. Both games having our highest turnover numbers of the season.
We may have different views on what clean ball movement is though suppose.

Looking for the post claiming that an ITK knows that Bev hates Williams,wishes him all sorts of harm.

Bailey Williams is the epitome of a vanilla footballer. Doesn’t do much right or wrong just does average things all day and you could watch a game and not even notice him.

I don’t agree with changing a winning team either but he is no loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back