Unofficial Preview Changes and in the mix Rd 6 Vs Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Would feel more confident if the Swans had beaten the Crows on Friday night.

Sydney on the rebound is a scary thought, reckon their ability to win coming off a loss would be almost unparalleled over the last decade.

As much as Buddy is a superstar, they have few forward options other than mid-fielders kicking bags and we certainly match any mf set-up they may have. I think Blicavs has been outstanding as a KPD and is improving every time he plays that role. More worried about GWS than Sydney. Saturday also highlighted how important Hawkins is to free up Menzel.
Great coaching by CS et al in clearly taking in a more defensive mindset. May it long continue.
Also, what a remarkable effort with the 4th youngest team of the round and 7 players with a TOTAL of games played under 50!!

Sydney on the rebound is a scary thought, reckon their ability to win coming off a loss would be almost unparalleled over the last decade.

Just very beatable l reckon.
Would like to see Crameri get a go at home.

Just have to win the inside game against the Swans.

If GHS continues to play well then our midfield is a lot better at hitting up targets (having Duncan, Kelly and Ablett as well we will be blessed in this area).

Wouldn't worry about Buddy too much just put Blicavs on him the whole time and have the others try and help out, if they dont win the midfield then Buddy wont get easy ball and the rest of their forward line isnt good when they dont have time and space.

Yep it is pretty good but times are changing. Their mids are injured or something and it’s impacting.

Time and again the commentators were mentioning Blicavs' hard running as a reason why we were so good in defence on the weekend, just for the ability to get back in behind the footy.
I had my doubt about Blicavs as a defender but he's doing a good job and his long arms and ability to get to the contest makes it difficult for forwards. He's also good when the ball hits the ground.

I thought the Swans were going to one of the top 2 teams on early season form but they've showed a few weaknesses recently that gives me hope. I'm glad this games at home too. I'd expect Hawkins to be back in, which beggars the question what will they do with GHS? They'll keep him and should drop Murdoch for Hawkins IMO. Apart from that, unless one of our injured A graders (Gazza, Taylor, or Hendo) is ready to come back, or there's an injury concern we don't know about that needs management, then keep the team unchanged IMO.

I had my doubt about Blicavs as a defender but he's doing a good job and his long arms and ability to get to the contest makes it difficult for forwards. He's also good when the ball hits the ground.
Me too but pleasantly surprised,plenty of room for improvement decision wise as when to move the ball on more quickly,and put a ban on him kicking backwards, that maybe in effect already as it doesn't seem to be happening as regularly as in the past. Big tick so far.

Sydney lost 6 in a row last season so that's not a concern.

Their midfield doesn't look fit and they have a huge reliance on Franklin to kick them a winning score.

And if you look through their side they have a weakish bottom 6 or so.

I'm pretty confident we can get the job done. That final last year will also give the club huge confidence.

I thought the Swans were going to one of the top 2 teams on early season form but they've showed a few weaknesses recently that gives me hope. I'm glad this games at home too. I'd expect Hawkins to be back in, which beggars the question what will they do with GHS? They'll keep him and should drop Murdoch for Hawkins IMO. Apart from that, unless one of our injured A graders (Gazza, Taylor, or Hendo) is ready to come back, or there's an injury concern we don't know about that needs management, then keep the team unchanged IMO.
Isn't it good that if we need to drop a player it won't be for a lack of effort issue but simple for a perceived upgrade to the squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney lost 6 in a row last season so that's not a concern.

Their midfield doesn't look fit and they have a huge reliance on Franklin to kick them a winning score.

And if you look through their side they have a weakish bottom 6 or so.

I'm pretty confident we can get the job done. That final last year will also give the club huge confidence.

Fair points. Kennedy and Hannebery have been horrible in 2018 and without Reid or Tippett, Buddy is the go to guy every single time.

Sydney also have extremely poor rucks, so like the Port game, we should break even or win in this area regardless of whether we play Stanley or Smith.

They do have some excellent intercept players in Rampe, Mills and Aliir though so if we go back to the 'bomb the ball to Hawkins' stategy we often do, those three will have a field day.

Fair points. Kennedy and Hannebery have been horrible in 2018 and without Reid or Tippett, Buddy is the go to guy every single time.

Sydney also have extremely poor rucks, so like the Port game, we should break even or win in this area regardless of whether we play Stanley or Smith.

They do have some excellent intercept players in Rampe, Mills and Aliir though so if we go back to the 'bomb the ball to Hawkins' stategy we often do, those three will have a field day.
They played Aliir forward the last time I looked and he's been out of the side. Seems to be out of favour a little or gone backwards.

If GHS continues to play well then our midfield is a lot better at hitting up targets (having Duncan, Kelly and Ablett as well we will be blessed in this area).

Wouldn't worry about Buddy too much just put Blicavs on him the whole time and have the others try and help out, if they dont win the midfield then Buddy wont get easy ball and the rest of their forward line isnt good when they dont have time and space.

Keys to this one are winning the midfield and a total committed team defence just like we did against Port.
Blitz is our best match up for the Budster with one obvious caveat - he is to stay at home more and not run off - if he runs off and we turn it over we'll be exposed the other way and Buddy kills in that situation. Even though his overhead marking has improved it's in space that Buddy is his devastating best - need to keep it tight around him all night.

Keys to this one are winning the midfield and a total committed team defence just like we did against Port.
Blitz is our best match up for the Budster with one obvious caveat - he is to stay at home more and not run off - if he runs off and we turn it over we'll be exposed the other way and Buddy kills in that situation. Even though his overhead marking has improved it's in space that Buddy is his devastating best - need to keep it tight around him all night.
I would rather him run off and make Buddy accountable.

I think it was the 4th quarter where the commentators praised Blitz because Port were bringing the ball forward, had it around the half-forward area and it was mentioned that Blitz ran hard to get into the empty space into the 50 to limit the ability for the Port forwards to lead.

I know on here that theres some who like to sarcastically use the "guarding space" line against a few of our guys, like Blitz, but it was one case last night where doing just that worked in our favour as it gave Port no space to kick the ball to in the hope of a playing running onto it & taking away the space for a player to lead in to.

Terrific post and highlight of an under noticed effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stanley struggled against Ports make shift ruck. He still played one of his better games I felt but Sydney will find ways to expose him. We should be bringing in Smith but I really think Chris Scott will keep Stanley as the main ruck until he is forced to make the change. It looks like they are trying to kick Smith up the ass in a big way because they think it’s what he needs to finally have a breakout season and stamp his authority as the number 1 ruck because he has earned it. I can’t see any other logic in continuing to play Stanley when everyone knows that Smith would be giving more taps to advantage and applying more pressure around the ground. They must feel like his hot and cold form is always going to be there unless he is forced to play on the edge and earn every game, so unless he has a breakout in the 2’s I think they will be reluctant to make the swap. It may be an issue now but imagine later in the year once we have our full list available and Smith has hit the best form of his career going into finals. This is the only logic I can come up with.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And it reads well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

expecting a good showing here, they would have gained great confidence from Saturday night. If we can somehow win the next two at home, we really set ourselves up given a significant injury list and a fairly tough draw to start the year. In: Hawkins, Gregson Out: Parsons, S Selwood

I would rather him run off and make Buddy accountable.

It's all about risk and reward - we can't have Blitz run off and leave Buddy with an undersized opponent - he can win them the game and is smart enough to exploit us the other way if we do that ( Longmire is as well)
Horses for courses - Buddy needs to be played tightly - look at how successful Lonergan was on him for all those years.

This is very positive/realist, you feeling okay?

It's all about risk and reward - we can't have Blitz run off and leave Buddy with an undersized opponent - he can win them the game and is smart enough to exploit us the other way if we do that ( Longmire is as well)
Horses for courses - Buddy needs to be played tightly - look at how successful Lonergan was on him for all those years.
I agree give him an inch and he'll take a mile,especially early in games he's a confidence player and a showman loves getting on a roll.

Pyke basically said they kept double and triple teaming buddy, cause he knew they mostly only kick to him.

I would not be surprised to see horse try to change it this week, because they are way too predictable. Hopefully we dont put all our eggs in the stop buddy basket, and the swans change tactics and we lose focus on the rest of them. Sometimes you can focus too hard on stopping one player and you get burnt by someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back