Strategy Changes and Pre-match discussion (Freo 15/7, MCG 1.45pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darcy Cameron has left the track early this morning. Looks like Cox and Frampton to ruck this week
Elliott not training - possibly illness related so may still play Sat

Jen saying no sign of Elliott at training.

Hopefully it's nothing... perhaps he could have another rest though given Freo, Carlton (lol) and Hawthorn are the only bottom 6 side we play between now and the end of the year.

I heard that Elliott missed training because he was off getting treatment.

For leather-poisoning.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Darcy Cameron officially out according to Andrew McCormack.

Yes, it is everybody else, including Fly and Wright, who are wrong. Not you!
Didn't say they are wrong. Simply said he's been below average thus far and I'm not seeing his value. But if it gives you an opportunity to practice your sarcasm then good for you. You're welcome.

Didn't say they are wrong. Simply said he's been below average thus far and I'm not seeing his value. But if it gives you an opportunity to practice your sarcasm then good for you. You're welcome.
He's played only 2 games in the position he was recruited for. The forward structure in the first 2 matches of the year was how Fly envisaged when he recruited Dan. We scored 40 goals in those 2 weeks. I'd say something worked very well in those 2 weeks.

He's played only 2 games in the position he was recruited for. The forward structure in the first 2 matches of the year was how Fly envisaged when he recruited Dan. We scored 40 goals in those 2 weeks. I'd say something worked very well in those 2 weeks.
Stop with the facts

Surely someone's opinion matters more 🤣

Was it the time of year? I think it might have been the time of year…

The first few weeks are always free flowing until the grounds soften up, teams get a feel for what is and isn’t working from a system perspective and team defenses get fine tuned.

I’m 100% on board with your take I just don’t know if there’s a correlation between high scoring and team structure by that point in the year. Hopefully I’m wrong 👍

Stop with the facts

Surely someone's opinion matters more 🤣
Stop with the sarcasm and express your own opinion. If you're capable?
And if you don't like hearing opinions maybe stay away from public forums. 🙄

Stop with the sarcasm and express your own opinion. If you're capable?
And if you don't like hearing opinions maybe stay away from public forums. 🙄
I believe we will be a better side with McStay playing deep forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first few weeks are always free flowing until the grounds soften up, teams get a feel for what is and isn’t working from a system perspective and team defenses get fine tuned.

I’m 100% on board with your take I just don’t know if there’s a correlation between high scoring and team structure by that point in the year. Hopefully I’m wrong 👍
Well tbf, we haven't had the opportunity to find out how crucial he is to our forward structure after those 2 weeks due to injuries.. and unfortunately we won't see it this weekend either with Checkers out. But the fact is we did score 40 goals in those 2 games when Checkers & McStay were there together.

I trust that Fly and Wright know what they're doing. They've proven a lot of people wrong with the recruitment of Hill, Frampton & Markov.

It was a smart move regardless of whether it works out.

You've got to wind the clock back to early last year when the decision was made and we persuaded him to come to us.

He was a durable seasoned pro coming off good form at the end of 2021 for the first time playing the deep forward role we needed. Our tall forwards consisted of Mihocek, with Cameron, Cox who looked washed up, AJ who was a 25 year old long shot who hadn't played a game or done anything at state league level and the always injured yet to do anything Kreuger.

With no trade cost, he was well and truly worth the risk of paying a bit overs in salary.

Yep, this. I never wanted us to recruit him but the reasoning for doing so is logical. He was never going to be the next Coleman medalist. People just need to shift their thinking. Now that he’s here, he has my full support.

Well tbf, we haven't had the opportunity to find out how crucial he is to our forward structure after those 2 weeks due to injuries.. and unfortunately we won't see it this weekend either with Checkers out. But the fact is we did score 40 goals in those 2 games when Checkers & McStay were there together.

I trust that Fly and Wright know what they're doing. They've proven a lot of people wrong with the recruitment of Hill, Frampton & Markov.
Definitely agree and despite the stubbornness of one poster to be against the grain on this I think we’re pretty much all on the same page with it. The timing’s right as well because you can’t pick him first up v Port and after that the lead in gets tight so it’s put up or shut up time.

My tip is he struggles numbers wise to meet the expectations of some on here, but we improve as a team from having him ahead of the ball so he’s safe in the 23.

I for one am very curious to see how that ruck combo would go

I think Cox plays much better when he’s the big banana. Gets him heavily involved early, which then continues throughout the match.

Frampton, Johnson and McStay can give him enough support, especially against Freo, whose midfield is significantly weakened by absence of Serong.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'll settle for him playing his role in us kicking a winning score. Whether that's kicking goals directly or contributing through GA's or crashing packs doesn't really bother me.
I’ll settle for that for that as well, unfortunately many on here still don’t understand his role so I’d prefer he just kick goals so our selection discussions here aren’t bogged down by it.

Makes it easier to bring McStay in and have Frampton share the ruck duties

In: Steele, Bruzzy, McStay
Out: Bianco, WHE, Cameron and sub goes to ..... um, somebody ..... maybe AJ/Adams/Lipinski/Beau?

Makes it easier to bring McStay in and have Frampton share the ruck duties

In: Steele, Bruzzy, McStay
Out: Bianco, WHE, Cameron and sub goes to ..... um, somebody ..... maybe AJ/Adams/Lipinski/Beau?
Wonder if Sidey might be sub, (eased back into action)

Expect a big game from Mason Cox. He usually plays above his average contribution when he is the first ruck.

I for one am very curious to see how that ruck combo would go
They'll go well in the ruck. The issue is Frampton's forward work and whether he gets to any contests. He might be better this week with McStay there to instruct him.

This is why I’m still not sold on McStay. We were absolutely flying in the first few rounds. Goals were flowing freely. But was it because of McStay’s contribution to our structure?

Guess we’ll know soon enough. And no one will be happier than me if it turns out that Big Dan was the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back