Prediction Changes and Pre match discussion vs Carlton round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edwards for Gov (or Schofield if no Gov)
Ainsworth for Redden (or XON if no Redden)

I don't love the idea of 87kg Harry Edwards going up against Levi Casboult (the league's best contested mark) and Harry McKay (204cm, 99kg), much less after an interrupted week with concussion issues. Schofield would be the better matchup if Gov is still unavailable. Rotham would definitely be out of the question.

One more week for Cameron to make an impact, with Jones the likely replacement.

Wet weather would not be ideal with our forward line as tall as it is, but neither of Allen or Waterman could be dropped on their current form.

Ainsworth is a developing mid. A lot of criticism of playing Brander too. He is actually doing a few good things each match as well as some terrible ones. I recall Shuey, Redden and others struggling hard early on. In the game he got caught holding the ball once and in another contest he got the kick away to Gaff whilst being tackled. He is also going at 83% disposal efficiency so the claim that he is a serial turnover merchant doesn't really hold up to much scrutiny. Check out Blakely for the Purples absolutely awful skills. I am sure Xon and Hutchings and others like Hammer will get a game again soon.

Did you watch Shueys first couple of games? He was pretty good early on!

Redden from memory was pretty decent in his first few years.

I think it's good that our young players are getting game time. We don't have a proper B competition this year so any development is welcome.

Jetta is an interesting case. I can't see him losing it with the coach - he doesn't seem to be that kind of character. Didn't Simpson say he was dropped for match up reasons?

Anyway, we'll have a bunch of games with short breaks where players will probably be rested so having him in the wings as well as players like Ainsworth and Brander will serve us later in the year. Jetta might be a good swap for Bunga if he needs a rest.

I'd take that. Let's face it, we are going to have to do another hub with 4 or 5 day breaks between games at some point. Humidty shouldn't be too bad during the day, as it's dry season. At least we've had the opportunity to get momentum up by playing a big stretch at home. We also get good support in Darwin, which would be a big boost.

I am a bit unsure why the QLD teams aren't having to do a hub as well, that seems like the most glaring ommission at this stage in terms of fixture equality.
Humidity is still relatively high in the dry season and it is 30 to 32C during the day. That will sap strength real quick. Night games would be good, wont be slippery like SE QLD as the temp doesnt drop much so doesnt get dewy until early hours of the morning, if at all. Any teams.playing in Darwin should be getting min 6 day breaks.

I don't love the idea of 87kg Harry Edwards going up against Levi Casboult (the league's best contested mark) and Harry McKay (204cm, 99kg), much less after an interrupted week with concussion issues. Schofield would be the better matchup if Gov is still unavailable. Rotham would definitely be out of the question.

Wet weather would not be ideal with our forward line as tall as it is, but neither of Allen or Waterman could be dropped on their current form.

Think that info is from his draft year.
DA59DFE4-764E-4EF9-AD7F-7A8EF1E2A578.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That 83% disposal efficiency can be misleading.
At one stage he kicked it 10 metres to Shuey who got told to play on and was under the pump. So he gets a positive stat when really it was a poor kick.

When you're only getting 5 kicks a game and kicking it 10 to 15 meters at a time, you should be hitting targets.

Unless we get a big run of injuries, I'd be surprised if we see him again.
We will see. I will be interested to see if Xon cops it if he gets 4 games in a row this year and has a similar output. Seems like Brander had more disposals at the same amount of games and still got dropped. I don't know I think he deserves more games to see if he can improve. We are probably getting a compressed fixture coming up so I imagine he will still be in the mix.

We will see. I will be interested to see if Xon cops it if he gets 4 games in a row this year and has a similar output. Seems like Brander had more disposals at the same amount of games and still got dropped. I don't know I think he deserves more games to see if he can improve. We are probably getting a compressed fixture coming up so I imagine he will still be in the mix.
Brander was dropped due to injury wasnt he?

Redden had a hernia that him and the club thought was something else.
True in his preseason of the first year. Ainsworth's finger had to be fixed and it has taken the 21 year old a while to get his form back. Xon has only played in scrimmages so I don't know that his output is going to be that much better than Ainsworth's anyway.

True in his preseason of the first year. Ainsworth's finger had to be fixed and it has taken the 21 year old a while to get his form back. Xon has only played in scrimmages so I don't know that his output is going to be that much better than Ainsworth's anyway.
I think it's the attributes and potential up side that most posters see in XON over Ainsworth. I'm usually one of those guys that want to back the kids and have gone in to bat for guys like Gaff/JD/Sheed/Duggan/Waterman/Nelson, However, for him there's nothing I've seen so far of him thats screamed AFL quality. In his first season at WAFL he looked promising as an ball winning inside mid that racked up possessions but his ball use was still a let down. Last year he seemed to regress at WAFL level and looked to move away from his on ball role to spending time on the onside and i reckon in a couple games I watched, he was in defence (or just getting a bulk of his possessions in defence).

Regarding his current role as defensive Wingmen/HFF he just doesn't have the attributes other than fact that he has a good tank. He's just too slow, not a greater user of the ball and is like a fish out of sea when in the side. His recruiting and selection seems very out of the norm since Simmo took over, just seems like since 2014 there's been an emphasis on drafting great ball users and decision makers but he somehow got picked. He should have been developed to play as an inside player but I doubt if chance arises this season, his 78kg frame would fair well against bigger bodies.

O'neill on the other hand might not kill it either but I think heap on here feel that he has the attributes (speed/explosiveness/footskills) to play that role and my personal view is that you should be backing in players like that over those role player types like Ainsworth.

Brander fell out of the side through injury?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back