Prediction Changes and Pre match discussion vs North Melbourne round 18 @ Metricon

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
I'm OK with the changes.

Outs
Brander took a bad knock to the knee late in the Saints game.
XON has played a lot in the last month and was looking a little tired. Not season over for me. He has shown enough.
Brayshaw was OK but if we need him in finals, we are not going deep.

In
Williams - I expect NicNat to be given the chance to show Goldie why Goldie will be AA Bridesmaid and Bailey to play majority of time
Sheed and Ah Chee are obvious ins
Foley - reward for being a good trainer and a hard runner. Didn't like the pick but want him to succeed. Allows Duggan and Coleman to play midfield/forward.

When we are playing an barely relevant game against a completely irrelevant team, I am even happy to endorse the Ainsworth selection.

Question for the historians. With Sheed, Ryan, Foley and Ainsworth, have we ever had 4 Subiaco players in our side? I cannot recall the Scabs every being that relevant in developing players!

Pottering

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Redlegs), Hiroshima Carp
I think Brander has shown he has a future at AFL Level given his athleticism and skills level. See his future as part of the JK replacement Plan, though a different player but he has time

As a number 13 draft choice in 2017 he needs to get a wriggle on. Similar sized players in that draft include Aaron Naughton (9), Oscar Allen (21), Noah Balta (25), Sam Taylor (29), Tom McCartin (33) and Charlie Ballard (42).

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Duggan was named at half-back last week and Cole was named on the bench, Nelson named on the wing both weeks but didn't play there last week, it doesn't mean much.

I reckon Foley plays permanently in defence replacing McGovern, with Barrass playing Gov's role and Schofield taking the number 1 forward (Larkey I guess).

Duggan stays midfield, Cole stays on the wing. Sheed replaces O'Neill in midfield, Ah Chee replaces Brayshaw who played almost exclusively forward. Allen plays as a high-roaming forward replacing Brander, with Williams shifting into the backup ruck role.
With players named I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kennedy as an out(Rested)

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
As a number 13 draft choice in 2017 he needs to get a wriggle on. Similar sized players in that draft include Aaron Naughton (9), Oscar Allen (21), Noah Balta (25), Sam Taylor (29), Tom McCartin (33) and Charlie Ballard (42).
He’s in the team with the strongest spine in the league. Difficult to get games in his preferred position unfortunately, that’s why getting games even as a mid is beneficial

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Bit surprised by Foley inclusion, hard to know really if he's develpped this year or not. Reports last year, he was struggling in the WAFL. Weird he took Branders spot too.

I like it. With the lack of standout youngsters demanding selection, giving so many guys a chance to prove themselves is much better than going back to the same 2-3 guys and expecting a sudden explosion of form.

Very similar feel to 2018 with the amount of kids getting a run, and we're still winning. There's a genuine belief in the "system" we play.

Pottering

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Redlegs), Hiroshima Carp
He’s in the team with the strongest spine in the league. Difficult to get games in his preferred position unfortunately, that’s why getting games even as a mid is beneficial

When you're a fringe player you play anywhere they put you. Coming in as a key position player requires a strong mental attitude for a player starting his career. Brander showed he wasn't up to it in the games he played at CHF, so they trialled him as a winger and he began this year in the team in round one in that position. Was staggered he started while Allen and Waterman didn't. He stayed in without showing much till he got an injury. Since resuming he's been ordinary and his lack of intensity worries me. I thought he should have been: offered as part of the Kelly deal. Will he make it? I'm yet to be convinced but the match committee clearly have high hopes. I hope they're right.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm OK with the changes.

Outs
Brander took a bad knock to the knee late in the Saints game.
XON has played a lot in the last month and was looking a little tired. Not season over for me. He has shown enough.
Brayshaw was OK but if we need him in finals, we are not going deep.
You thought Brayshaw was Ok?

He looked that far off it is wasn't funny.
Doubt he'll play another AFL game TBH.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
if Brander makes it he'll be a Justin Westhoff. Not a bad thing at all but at that pick when you draft a KPP you sort of hope they become a dominant target up forward up solid KPD.

The_Gambler

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2009
Omaha, in middle America
AFL Club
West Coast

hes 10kg off being a key position player. Having him train with the midfield group will not help that. He will never have the skills set to be anything more than a C grade midfielder no point persisting.

The_Gambler

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2009
Omaha, in middle America
AFL Club
West Coast
if Brander makes it he'll be a Justin Westhoff. Not a bad thing at all but at that pick when you draft a KPP you sort of hope they become a dominant target up forward up solid KPD.

Justin wrsthoff was a fairly dominant Mark in year 1 and burst onto the scene immediately. Has now played around 300 games. Fair to say brander won’t be a Justin westhoff

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I like it. With the lack of standout youngsters demanding selection, giving so many guys a chance to prove themselves is much better than going back to the same 2-3 guys and expecting a sudden explosion of form.

I also liked Simmo's take today: "Give them a sniff, give them a taste at that level, often it pays off for you in the next pre-season."

Even if a kid isn't quite ready, give them a crack and let them go back to the WAFL shell-shocked by the pace and physicality of AFL. Remembering that time you got your ass kicked must be a powerful motivation if you're getting sick of summer weights sessions and beach runs.

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
Question for the historians. With Sheed, Ryan, Foley and Ainsworth, have we ever had 4 Subiaco players in our side? I cannot recall the Scabs every being that relevant in developing players!

Lamb, Kemp, Heady and Langdon played many a game together.

I’m thinking maybe Laurie Keene, Phil Scott, Todd Breman, Warren Dean, Dean Irving and Andrew McNish were all in 1990 squad and could have been ‘extras’

I’m thinking there may have been 6 or 7 Subiaco players in the team at one time in 1990 - Malthouse’s first year as WCE coach.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Justin wrsthoff was a fairly dominant Mark in year 1 and burst onto the scene immediately. Has now played around 300 games. Fair to say brander won’t be a Justin westhoff
being the next Wethoff wasn't a sledge at Justin. That said it too early to say he'll end up getting past 200 or if he's a bust. Yes agree JW had a dominant first year but that was more of an anomaly as he really never recaptured that sort of KPF form. My comments on JW regarding the draft might be a bit harsh but when you invest a first round pick on a KPP you want them to go on an make it as a KPP and not a utility.

Personally I would have liked to have seen JB developed into a defender soon as Allen looked the part as a forward. He played down back as KPD and dominated in his last couple years of junior footy. His draft profile talked about his overhead marking, intercepting skills and overall defensive skills as some of his strengths. It's too late now but he should be doing what Rotham is doing now in the team. Start off as the 3rd tall defender and then move into a CHB role as his body matures and Gov gets on.

Genuinely think the club the club last their mind when when they saw his clean hands, mobility, agility and speed.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Next year is the real test for the kid. He'd benefit with some WAFL and another big preseason.

Lamb, Kemp, Heady and Langdon played many a game together.

I’m thinking maybe Laurie Keene, Phil Scott, Todd Breman, Warren Dean, Dean Irving and Andrew McNish were all in 1990 squad and could have been ‘extras’

I’m thinking there may have been 6 or 7 Subiaco players in the team at one time in 1990 - Malthouse’s first year as WCE coach.

Yeah there was a lot of Subi guys in the team and on the fringes in the late 80s/early 90s. Godden, Connell, Hampson, Heatley were some others off the top of my head.

being the next Wethoff wasn't a sledge at Justin. That said it too early to say he'll end up getting past 200 or if he's a bust. Yes agree JW had a dominant first year but that was more of an anomaly as he really never recaptured that sort of KPF form. My comments on JW regarding the draft might be a bit harsh but when you invest a first round pick on a KPP you want them to go on an make it as a KPP and not a utility.

Personally I would have liked to have seen JB developed into a defender soon as Allen looked the part as a forward. He played down back as KPD and dominated in his last couple years of junior footy. His draft profile talked about his overhead marking, intercepting skills and overall defensive skills as some of his strengths. It's too late now but he should be doing what Rotham is doing now in the team. Start off as the 3rd tall defender and then move into a CHB role as his body matures and Gov gets on.

Genuinely think the club the club last their mind when when they saw his clean hands, mobility, agility and speed.

******* lol

WHAT HE LACKS

Ball-winning ability:
A lot of key position players in the modern game win their fair share of the footy. Brander doesn’t, but he possesses good ball skills so he should add this to his game. Needs to work hard on his tank.

What does WC do?
Try and turn him into a midfielder.

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah there was a lot of Subi guys in the team and on the fringes in the late 80s/early 90s. Godden, Connell, Hampson, Heatley were some others off the top of my head.

1992 premiership team had five Subiaco players; Kemp, Lamb, Heady, Langdon and Mitchell White.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
******* lol

WHAT HE LACKS

Ball-winning ability:
A lot of key position players in the modern game win their fair share of the footy. Brander doesn’t, but he possesses good ball skills so he should add this to his game. Needs to work hard on his tank.

What does WC do?
Try and turn him into a midfielder.

Defensive Wingers don’t get possessions brah.

The jack watts comparison is spot on. Play him off HB or HFF, Watts played good footy there for Port before he disappeared.
For the investment we’ve put into Brander I’d be disappointed if he ended up a flanker.

Next year is a huge one for his career here.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
For the investment we’ve put into Brander I’d be disappointed if he ended up a flanker.

Next year is a huge one for his career here.
Yep. Spending a high draft pick on a key tall and then developing him as a flanker is so yuck. Watts at least got a chance to play key position.

Back