Prediction Changes and Pre Match Discussion vs Western Bulldogs R15 @Optus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generally don't do this but this week is as interesting as it'll ever get, so here goes.

Ins: Shuey, Kelly, McGovern, Sheppard, Petruccelle, Witherden
Outs: H Edwards, Langdon, Foley, Cole, Nelson, Waterman

Team:
FB: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Witherden McGovern Rotham
C: Gaff Yeo Redden
HF: Cripps Darling Petruccelle
FF: Allen Kennedy Ryan
R: Naitanui Kelly Shuey

Int: Sheed L Edwards Duggan Jones

Backs :
Certain - Barrass, Hurn, Duggan, Sheppard
TBA - McGovern, HEdwards, Rotham, Nelson, Cole, Witherden, Foley (4 to miss)

Mids :
Certain - Yeo, Sheed, Redden, Gaff, Shuey
TBA - Kelly, LEdwards, Brander (2 to miss, possibly only 1 if we play an extra mid)

Forwards :
Certain - Kennedy, Darling, Ryan, Cripps
TBA - Petruccelle, Jones, Langdon, Waterman, Ah Chee (2 to miss, possibly 3 if we play an extra mid)

Rucks :
Certain - Naitanui, Allen

Wildcards - Williams, Vardy, Hutchings, O’Neill, Ainsworth

Not AFL ready - Jamieson

Injured/Unavailable- Rioli, Venables, Cameron, Winder, Johnson, West, Collins

I’ve assumed we’ll play Allen as 2nd ruck in preference to Williams or Vardy

Good luck to the MC this week - there’s 8 players who’ll be unlucky to miss out (9 if you count Williams) with Rioli the only best 22 player unavailable. Although it should be pointed out that a few players are on the comeback from injury and aren’t 100% just yet meaning we may overlook a couple of them to avoid going in underdone

Last edited:
Generally don't do this but this week is as interesting as it'll ever get, so here goes.

Team:

I would question whether Petch would provide more than Foley. I'd be tempted to keep Foley in and leave Petch out.

I would question whether Petch would provide more than Foley. I'd be tempted to keep Foley in and leave Petch out.
Competing for different spots so it’s not going to come down to a choice between Foley or Petch

Foley is competing with the likes of Nelson, Cole and Witherden whilst Petch needs to be selected ahead of Langdon, Jones and Waterman

Team:

Looks good to me.
In the wet too.

Only 1 simple change here later providing no injuries is Rioli for Jones.
Foley will get his chance if Hurn retires end of season.

I am sure they will want 2 rucks at some stage too.
There is enough height in the team to use a couple pinch hitters. It doesn't have to be 1 picking up 30%

Backs :
Certain - Barrass, Hurn, Duggan, Sheppard
TBA - McGovern, HEdwards, Rotham, Nelson, Cole, Witherden, Foley (4 to miss)

Mids :
Certain - Yeo, Sheed, Redden, Gaff, Shuey
TBA - Kelly, LEdwards, Brander (2 to miss, possibly only 1 if we play an extra mid)

Forwards :
Certain - Kennedy, Darling, Ryan, Cripps
TBA - Petruccelle, Jones, Langdon, Waterman, Ah Chee (2 to miss, possibly 3 if we play an extra mid)

Rucks :
Certain - Naitanui, Allen

Wildcards - Williams, Vardy, Hutchings, O’Neill, Ainsworth

Not AFL ready - Jamieson

Injured/Unavailable- Rioli, Venables, Cameron, Winder, Johnson, West, Collins

I’ve assumed we’ll play Allen as 2nd ruck in preference to Williams or Vardy

Good luck to the MC this week - there’s 8 players who’ll be unlucky to miss out (9 if you count Williams) with Rioli the only best 22 player unavailable. Although it should be pointed out that a few players are on the comeback from injury and aren’t 100% just yet meaning we may overlook a couple of them to avoid going in underdone
Rest In peace MC.

Competing for different spots so it’s not going to come down to a choice between Foley or Petch

Foley is competing with the likes of Nelson, Cole and Witherden whilst Petch needs to be selected ahead of Langdon, Jones and Waterman
I understand your point but since you've got Shuey and Kelly coming in, they both could spend time in the forward line hence no need for Petruccelle which would allow Foley to remain in the team.
Cole and Nelson are already replaced with Shep and Witherden in the inclusions.

Depends what they do with Duggan, and to an extent Nelson.

We played eight defenders against Richmond, with Duggan generally on the wing (though he might have gone back at times if Nelson followed Martin into the middle).

It’d probably be a good idea to do that again this week, so Nelson can roll onto a Macrae or a Hunter if they get off the chain. But maybe they roll Duggan back full-time. It’s gonna be a tough match committee.

Team:
Triple wow and double gee! Look at the quality in that bunch?
The weakest links are not too bad?
And we still have Rioli, Winder, and maybe West to try..

Last edited:
I don’t envy the match committee this week.

OUT: H.Edwards, Langdon, Nelson, Cole, Waterman
IN: McGovern, Shuey, Sheppard, Petch, Kelly

Team:
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Allen
HF: Cripps, Darling, Petch
C: Gaff, Shuey, Kelly
HB: Hurn, Gov, Duggan
B: Shep, Barrass, Rotham

R: Naitanui, Yeo, Redden
INT: Sheed, LEdwards, Foley, Jones (Brander)

I’m hoping to see a more blue collar and accountable midfield rotation of Yeo-Shuey-Redden, with Kelly playing primarily off a wing. Redden has been a revelation in terms of his toughness and defensive work around stoppages and we’ll need that in spades against the Bulldogs.

I want to see Brander and Witherden getting games, but LEdwards and Foley were too good to be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's my new team after watching the WAFL Team play.
Bold indicating locks.
Asterisks indicating lock for me but not a lock for MC.

B: Sheppard, Barrass, Rotham (not against H.Edwards for Rotham though)
HB: Hurn, McGovern, Witherden
C: Redden, Shuey, Gaff
HF: Cripps, Darling, Jones*
F: Allen, Kennedy, Ryan
R: Nic Nat, Yeo, Kelly
I/C: Duggan, Sheed, L.Edwards, Brander

I originally had Brander on my other post but now I'm not so sure. But at the end, he's still in.

Other contenders for the final spot and unlucky to miss out on my personal team: Nelson, Cole, Foley (very unlucky), Hutch, XON, Petch, Langdon, Ainsworth, AhChee, Waterman, Vardy, Williams and Trew. West, Johnson and Cameron all injured but would still be unlucky to miss out on my 22 when fit.

Defense: Duggan operates best as a HBF so he stays in for me and with Witherden performing well in the Beagles then he has to come in for either Foley, Nelson or Cole. Shep will also comeback for sure for one of the aforementioned players. Cole hasn't been good but he hasn't been bad either, he's been solid at best and can defend better but he lacks attacking drive which contributes to our stagnant ball movement down back. As good as H.Edwards is I'd say MC will go for Gov, Gov may not be at his best and will be underdone but he's still important to the structure with his intercept marks and also his ability to take the game on but he needs to get rid of those lazy kicks (maybe more whoppers will get him back to his best :D) but a down Gov is still better than most of the competition. Personally I'm not against if MC gives Gov a full game in the Beagles to get his touch back since H.Edwards is performing well and is starting to attack and use the ball well from defense. As good as Foley's been I'd say he'd be very unlucky to be left out for Witherden and Shep. Rotham stays for me since we need Barrass and Gov to be free as he can take the KPF while one of them zone off but then I'm not against if MC plays H.Edwards for that role at the expense of Rotham though Rotham will get the nod form MC.

Midfield: With Shuey, and Kelly set to comeback there's going to be managed minutes on Shuey and Yeo. Shuey, Kelly and Sheed can all go on the HFF to rest. L.Edwards for me cements his spot against Richmond with his composure and decision making. Brander could be on the final spot since he's decent in the wet but so is AhChee. I wouldn't be against to put Brander in the Ruck to help protect our lord Allen. I wouldn't mind West in but he's injured. I don't think we'll go with XON, Ainsworth or Trew at this stage.

Forwards (mainly smalls): In an ideal world we would have Rioli in my spot for my team but we have to choose between AhChee, Waterman, Petch or Langdon. Jones for me cements his spot in the team with his pressure, tackling and efforts. Petch has some X factor about him and is a good finisher for goal during general play, is quick too but doesn't influence a contest and for someone his pace, he doesn't tackle a lot. Langdon is limited as a player, lacks class and polish but he works hard, gets into right places. Waterman same with Langdon also works hard, but a great kick for goal, strong mark, performs well against the Bulldogs but he makes us too tall and since the games is going to be raining, he's not the ideal selection and he can go missing as well. AhChee he covers two positions midfield and forward also an X factor player, uses the ball well can take a big mark but he goes missing and is too inconsistent.
All of them are great depth for our small forwards and even mids.

Ruck dilemma: Nic Nat should play more than 75% TOG now he's up against a lesser ruck as Martin probably won't come here. No Williams and Vardy as this makes us too tall in the wet and we'll be out of legs by the last quarter. Whenever Nic Nats off; Allen unfortunately has to take the ruck for center bounces and midfield/defensive 50 stoppages but would prefer Gov to take defensive 50 stoppages though. Darling to take F50 stoppages although I would prefer JK to as he's bigger than Darling. If Brander plays he can share the ruck load with Allen or take over completely as the second ruck as it would give us an extra midfielder at the stoppages and Brander is tall enough to compete.

Tactics: With the midfield so stacked, I wouldn't be against Nelson or Hutch coming into the side to tag Libba as he's their most damaging player (no it's not McRae or Bont) as he's their primary extractor which their mids work best from plus Nelson can go back to defend and is one of our better ball users, if not Nelson then Redden can do the role as our midfield is stacked. They'll be without Dunkley and Treloar which should help but then Kelly and Shuey maybe underdone despite Shuey playing in the Beagles but their midfield depth is pretty good. They don't have a strong key defensive post so if we get enough clean entries then our talls JK, Allen and Darling will kick us a winning score in the wet. Jones should play a defensive forward role on Daniels as he's their main driver from half back. We should have more drive down back if we do select Witherden to play in the same side as Duggan, Hurn and even Gov if he takes the game on and stops those lazy kicks (someone tell Gov he loses his Whopper privileges if he turns the ball over with his lazy kicking). They probably won't have Martin and if English is their main Ruck then Nic Nat will be feasting on him so our mids have to make the most of Nic Nat and the Dogs mids will be sharking Nic's taps as they know English won't a lot of them so we need to be aware of that so Nic has to mix it up a lot with his ruck work. As mentioned should we select Brander, I'd like to see him take over Allen's ruck role.

Who I prefer to be in that final spot?: Brander for me because it allows Shuey, Yeo, Sheed and Kelly to rest on the HFF. Brander also should be able to chop out in the ruck as he has the size to compete and gives us an extra midfielder, it's sure a huge upgrade than what Richmond do with M.Pickett in the ruck. As mentioned before on my other post, he can give one of our KPP a chop out should they need the break which allows us to keep the structure. Plus he gives us an extra runner in the game.
- What about Nelson?: Redden can take over his role to tag Libba and he's very useful defensively in stoppages.
- What about Hutch? He got 32 disposals against Subi: He's a liability if he doesn't tag but he's not the worst option though.

Ins: Shuey, Kelly, McGovern, Sheppard

tenor.gif

Tough calls for our match committee to make, because I think they recognise just as much as we do that anyone getting dropped this week will be stiff.

If the Proven players are fit and ready you bring them all back in, but given the bulldogs are sitting in quarantine and we’ve got a multitude of ins this week, getting the 2020 EF feels about this game I just can’t shake.

Also, assuming he is selected, congrats on 250 games at West Coast to JK. Will be just our 9th player to get there. We may have had to lose one of the best to get him- but when all is said and done he is probably going to retire in the conversation as one of the greatest to ever feature for the club.

Here’s hoping for another big bag this weekend against the bulldogs, the club he’s kicked most goals against.

I feel like we've flat tracked the Doggies in the past at home on a Sunday.

Would LOVE a repeat of that but Im expecting a tough test.

They're 2nd for a reason.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wonder if it's because they've had to get on a plane for all of 3 games so far (14 rounds).

Shuey, Kelly and Sheed can all go on the HFF to rest

Can everyone stop pretending midfielders can "rest" forward? Our small forwards cover a heap of kms, even our tall forwards cover a heap of territory. Simmo even said in a recent press conference (or maybe it was a Q&A) that resting forward is not really possible at AFL level.

I'm not against those players having a rotation on a HFF, but the notion that it would be a "rest" or increase their game time is nonsense.

Can everyone stop pretending midfielders can "rest" forward? Our small forwards cover a heap of kms, even our tall forwards cover a heap of territory. Simmo even said in a recent press conference (or maybe it was a Q&A) that resting forward is not really possible at AFL level.

I'm not against those players having a rotation on a HFF, but the notion that it would be a "rest" or increase their game time is nonsense.

Agreed.

I do however like the idea of rotating Kelly, Shuey, Yeo and Sheed through the forward line at stages. They all offer a slightly different style of opponent and have all proven to be dangerous around goals at different stages of their careers. I'd prefer not to see 2 of them down there at the same time too often - but rotating them through allows us to play 7 defenders, 7 forwards, 8 mids (ruck included) - with a bit of game day flexibility if required with the aforementioned plus Duggan, OAllen, Cripps, 6th/7th forward (Petch, Langdon, JJ), Nelson if picked - all able to fill other positions/areas if required.

Making six changes to a team coming off the seasons best performance to accommodate players returning off long term injuries is not how you do that.
Anyone else think we are rating our performance against Richmond a bit too highly? Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome game and a great win with the players we had out but there was still a heap of improvement left in that game. If our best performance of the year is only good enough to beat a non-full strength Richmond by less than a goal at home then I am concerned.

Anyone else think we are rating our performance against Richmond a bit too highly? Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome game and a great win with the players we had out but there was still a heap of improvement left in that game. If our best performance of the year is only good enough to beat a non-full strength Richmond by less than a goal at home then I am concerned.

How can you give Richmond the benefit of "non full strength" yet don't do the same for West Coast?
Come on dude...

Eagles beat them with half a WAFL side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back