Prediction Changes and Pre Match Discussion vs Western Bulldogs R15 @Optus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily for the game against the Bulldogs as it would probably be a bit irresponsible to bring so many underdone guys back at once but in the coming weeks I'd like to see the following changes to the team that beat Richmond:

McGovern for HEdwards
Shuey for Langdon
Kelly for Nelson
Sheppard for Foley
Witherden for Cole

Hurn Barrass Sheppard
Rotham McGovern Duggan
Redden Sheed Gaff
Cripps Darling Shuey
Allen Kennedy Ryan

Naitanui, Yeo, Kelly

Witherden
, Waterman, Jones, LEdwards

Sub: Brander

If LEdwards keeps up his form he keeps Brander out of the side. Rioli probably replaces Jones if he comes back into the side at the end of the year.

Playing with an extra forward technically but Shuey listed at HF gives us a genuine HF/Mid option that Kelly and Jones can play as well.

If we decide to go 2 rucks then Waterman comes out.

Surely Brander is back in if he is fit. Was playing good footy aside from the Giants game. Surprised to see him drift back to a 50/50 selection in a lot of posts.

There's no one way any of Redden, Gaff or LEdwards are getting dropped, regardless of who comes back in. Even if Gaff has been a bit frustrating this year.
Brander is an important player going forward. If he is a midfielder, could he play as a ruck rover type?

In: Shuey, Sheppard, Kelly,
Out: Langdon, Nelson, Waterman

Nelson's credits were exhausted weeks ago and lucky to still be in the side.
Langdon worked hard, but his limitations are very obvious in every game.
Waterman is just 1 tall too many.

I'd like to see Yeo play for the Beagles this week, keep working on that match fitness.

If we have a good run with injuries from now on, the match committee shed themselves of their fetish for squeezing in talls just because once and for all, even if it means leaving out a Brander or a Waterman or a second dedicated ruckman for team balance, and everyone commits to the aggressiveness we've shown the last few weeks (particularly around contested ball etc, Elliot Yeo I love you), as well as the increased corridor use we showed against Richmond, we're going all the way this year.

Lock it in Eddie Korda Browne * knows

Hoping and praying the match committee have seen the light on not playing every f*cking tall ever on a list at the same time.

Also IN: More of that "run and carry through the middle of the ground" stuff. Revolutionary.
Yup, took a long time for Eagles to arrive at that plan! Dogs came up with it years ago, and it since got Tigers to 3 flags, while most of the other teams employ it now, but we stuck fat to the slow kick it around and mark it stuff... ah champagne footy?
I think we graduated to kick n' mark to the centre then run n' gun forward..living dangerously?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this preseason we really need to get Harry Edwards in the gym and perhaps working on his ruckwork. It's getting close to a point where he should be playing more games at this level and we need to give him as many chances as we can.
HEdwards splitting his time between the ruck and defence is certainly a feasible solution to our second ruck issues. Especially if JK plays on in 2022, by which time HEdwards will hopefully have filled out a little bit more. Whilst the great man is still running around the ruck-forward option (currently provided by Williams or Vardy) just hasn't quite clicked. You'd expect us to persist with Williams for a good few years longer as there is something to work with but - like most ruckmen his age - he's still a way off playing consistent AFL football. And to mess with our tall forward structure, you'd need to be playing exceptional football.

NicNat rucking ~65% game time. HEdwards ~35% in the ruck, similar amount of time in the back line whilst giving Gov and TB have breathers is a better balanced split, provided HEd can handle that amount of time in the ruck. In 2021 this probably only works against teams using a smaller second ruck (Richmond with Shaun Grigg a good example), but if he puts on a few kilo's over the summer then could be a very viable option in 2022.
I agree with A5 and think the Passenger plan can be tweaked.

Bulk Hedwards up a bit. Play NN 65% match time as a ruckman.
Use Darling as a forward ruck in the style of Tex Walker or Tom Hawkins.
Use Hedwards as ruck down back.
Split the NN resting centre duties depending on who else is on the bench at the time.

If Williams comes on as a genuine marking forward/ruck then we have an option if we have an injured tall forward or someone (JK) is rested or retires (this year, next year?).

I'd say they're pretty even. Cole is more composed, tougher, better in traffic.

Nelson has a slight advantage in his rebounding play and ability to play as a defensive mid, Cole the better at playing on small forwards or cleaning up the chaos ball.
Not to mention that cole sidestep where he frequently bamboozles opponents. If nelson tried that he will pop his Achilles.

Not necessarily for the game against the Bulldogs as it would probably be a bit irresponsible to bring so many underdone guys back at once but in the coming weeks I'd like to see the following changes to the team that beat Richmond:

McGovern for HEdwards
Shuey for Langdon
Kelly for Nelson
Sheppard for Foley
Witherden for Cole

Hurn Barrass Sheppard
Rotham McGovern Duggan
Redden Sheed Gaff
Cripps Darling Shuey
Allen Kennedy Ryan

Naitanui, Yeo, Kelly

Witherden
, Waterman, Jones, LEdwards

Sub: Brander

If LEdwards keeps up his form he keeps Brander out of the side. Rioli probably replaces Jones if he comes back into the side at the end of the year.

Playing with an extra forward technically but Shuey listed at HF gives us a genuine HF/Mid option that Kelly and Jones can play as well.

If we decide to go 2 rucks then Waterman comes out.
On paper with addition of Rioli this is some team. I hope they get few games in a row together. we will be favorites for most games anywhere with that list.

Shep, Gov, Shuey and Kelly will all play against the Dogs according to Simmo
(At about 4.20)

My interest is piqued

white-rasta.jpg

Is anyone excited that maybe next game we can have

Kelly Shuey Yeo lining up together in the middle .....I know I 'am :)
When was the last time?

Should be genuinely fielding our strongest team in a very long time against the bulldogs.

Haven’t had all 3 of Kelly, Yeo and Shuey in the same side since round 11, 2020. They’ve only played together 8 times of a possible 31 games

Have only had at least 2 of them in the same team twice this year and one of those games Kelly was injured before quarter time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back