Preview Changes and prematch discussion vs Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m actually excited about this week now. Perhaps Clarko’s coaching was distracted by events beyond his control.
Ratten will just get them to focus on contested ball and exploiting Swans lack of height in defence.
Swans have 7 best 22 players out v 5 for us.
A bit of dead cat bounce, the lift from a debut of a future gun, annd playing at home and we should be right in this. Roos paying $6 is tempting. 38+ line will be irresistable.

remember we defeated freo away and Swans lost to them at home.

l wouldn't mind seeing Cunners as sub. He could play forward or mid if needed and if he came on late then the pace of the game might have slowed down a bit which would suit him..
I understand your logic, but I actually prefer Cunners to play 2s, for two reasons (1) it's important in steadying the ship that the VFL side continue to perform well, and a spine with Lienaart at FB and Free rucking, with Cunners at their feet, will keep us competitive against most opposition, and (2) if Thomas plays in the VFL, which I assume he will, the obvious bond between him and Cunners will be invaluable in continuing TT's journey

Need to change this now

OUT: Mahony (inj) Corr (susp) LDU (inj) Tucker (inj) Perez (inj) Zurhaar (inj) Taylor (omit)

IN: Wardlaw Cunnington CCJ Thomas Phillips Ford Hall

B: Ziebell McKay Bergman
HB: Thomas Logue Sheezel
C: Shiels Simpkin Scott
HF: Ford CCJ Stephenson
F: Curtis Larkey Drury
R: Goldstein Cunnington Wardlaw
I: Phillips McDonald Greenwood Hall
S: Taylor
E: Harvey Dawson Howe Turner Lazzaro Spicer Free Edwards

Missing LDU, Comben, Zurhaar from a best 22 perspective. Not bad but the replacements and depth we have is putrid.
There could be 8 fit AFL listed players in the VFL.
Didn’t think Powell would get up.
Spicer is lucky to retain his place too.

Nice that Cunnginton and Thomas spend another week in the VFL together. Hopefully Taylor drops down to the VFL too but he’ll be sub. Howe the carry over emergency.

All in all good changes and I’m keen to see Wardlaw and Phillips play together on Saturday.

Last edited:
It'll bite me on the bum no doubt but, I quite like this week's lineup.

Every "in" is interesting in some way. Spicer, Drury, Bergman plus Curtis and Sheezel (can almost forget they're babies too) get another game to develop and/or stake their claim.

Commiserations to all the outs but LDU and Zurhaar the only losses on output to date. Corr a little unhelpful too. Taylor gets his overdue demotion.

Looks ok under the circumstances.

In my opinion, given the injury situation, these are all good inclusions. I would have preferred Ben10 in but hopefully he will be the sub.

I'm going to go out on a limb and tip us to win this one. Maybe this is the corner we need to turn? Lets hope so.

It'll bite me on the bum no doubt but, I quite like this week's lineup.

Every "in" is interesting in some way. Spicer, Drury, Bergman plus Curtis and Sheezel (can almost forget they're babies too) get another game to develop and/or stake their claim.

Commiserations to all the outs but LDU and Zurhaar the only losses on output to date. Corr a little unhelpful too. Taylor gets his overdue demotion.

Looks ok under the circumstances.
I like it too.

Let’s get these guys to 50 games together. Even if it takes 1 coach or 10…

Wardlaw is a confirmed in.

Feel for Wardlaw with his debut being somewhat overshadowed by the news about Clarko, so I'm glad to see the club make the announcement with the big presentation. Great to see the reactions of his teammates as well, looks like spirits are still high even with everything that's going on.

Good to see most of the ins this week are the young players and hopefully that youthful exuberance can lead us to a win on Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney are missing Callum Mills, Dane Rampe, Tom Hickey, Paddy McCartin, Tom McCartin, Sam Reid, Joel Amartey and Logan McDonald.

Best midfielder is Mills so helps he’s out, 3 of the their top 4 defenders missing (other being Lloyd who is playing), best ruck in Hickey out and Reid would be their starting CHF if fit. McDonald and Amartey have been better than Buddy this year.

These are pretty signicant outs.

For comparisons sake we’re missing LDU, Zurhaar and Comben for structural reasons. If LDU and Zurhaar were fit I’d say we’d be slight favorites. They are two who we will miss dearly and Zurhaar would have had a field day if he played.
Cunnington is out of form and TT is still a week or two away.
Everyone else on our injury list is s**t.

Their injury list is clearly worse than ours but their forward line is still dangerous with Buddy, Papley, Heeney and Hayward capable of kicking 10 between them and that’s all it takes to beat us these days. These guys have dined out on us in the past.

Gulden, Parker, Warner, Rowbottom is still 4 or their top 5 mids.
Going up against Simpkin, Wardlaw, Phillips, and Powell. It’s concerning. If they win enough ball out of the middle then McKay and Logue need to be switched on. Intercept marking is going to be crucial.

So lineup says their midfield is better than ours, we have the better ruck, their forward line is still much more potent than ours with Zurhaar out and our defence is solid and theirs is putrid. So thats where they’re weak.

We just need to give our forwards enough of a look and anything can happen.
Just pray like hell our defenders come switched on.

Is anyone else feeling good?

I'm seeing potential for some breakout games.

(I am once again preparing myself to be disappointed)

Somewhat. Maybe Clarko’s sidelining is going the circuit breaker we need, but more than anything looking forward to seeing how some youngsters go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

Ian Thorogood coached Carlton in the last round of 1977. Ian Stewart then did Rounds 1-3 of 1978. Sergio Silvagni did the next 3 rounds. And then Jezza took over. Four coaches in 8 games. Funny thing is that Carlton made the Finals in 1978 and won the flag in 1979. And then Jezza quit.

At North in 1939-41 we had five coaches in 20 games. Keith Forbes finished at the end of 1939, Len Thomas coached the first 7 rounds of 1940, then to end the year we had Jim Adamson and Wally Carter co-coach for the rest of the season. So that's 4 coaches in 9 games. But then Bob McCaskill took over for 1941.
That's insane. And you're incredible MM - at the top of the world on an old mountain there's a cracked set of cyclopean steps leading down to the font of all knowledge. Next to it is a lttler font, the font of all nmfc knowledge and on it is your statue.

Looking forward to George and Sheezel playing together.

Looking forward to WillPhil, Powell, Wardlaw and Sheezel playing together.

Looking forward to Luke McDonald and Jy Simpkin showing us all how they’re still trying their absolute hardest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back