Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Marley Williams says hi

Summary of Clarke’s kicking

Horrible drop: looks awkward and takes him longer than most to get off a kick

No penetration: can’t kick more than 40m and is a loopy slow kick

Only positive is he does generally try and play within his limitations and is relatively consistent with getting the ball where he wants it to go. It’s just he has massive limitations.

Asifhe Givashe

All Australian
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t care about our outs but if we can’t beat a pretty ordinary Essendon without Joe, Stringer and their skipper, then we may as well tank.

Campbell to Ruck, Goldy to kick 6 as FF.

Make them play Hooker back and I can’t see how they kick a winning score.

Overall, I’m a bit surprised that Scamper hasn’t rolled out Will Walker and Majak this week. I can only assume that they must really be struggling on the fitness side of things. Otherwise, there’s no other reason not to let them loose.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
going to be a good game i reckon.

Your complete lack of a midfield vs Our complete lack of a forward line.
We're actually the #1 clearance team in the league. Even with Cunnington only playing 2.3 games (0.3 for hobbling around for half an hour before getting perma-benched). I'd say it's your run and carry vs our complete lack of run and carry.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
We're actually the #1 clearance team in the league. Even with Cunnington only playing 2.3 games (0.3 for hobbling around for half an hour before getting perma-benched). I'd say it's your run and carry vs our complete lack of run and carry.

Yeah the Goldstein Simpkin combo has been huge for you guys to be plus 30 in clearances at this point in the season is an outstanding result.

Theres a clear path for North to win this week. Win the ball out of the centre and lock it in your forward line. The slippery conditions will likely favour a territory based game style as well.

The worry for North is in the past few games Essendon have beaten North in the clearances and have the speed advantage on the outside.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah the Goldstein Simpkin combo has been huge for you guys to be plus 30 in clearances at this point in the season is an outstanding result.

Theres a clear path for North to win this week. Win the ball out of the centre and lock it in your forward line. The slippery conditions will likely favour a territory based game style as well.

The worry for North is in the past few games Essendon have beaten North in the clearances and have the speed advantage on the outside.
I see the flaw in this plan......

What will likely happen is we will win a s**t clearance, the ball will move scrappily to another contest where it will then be bombed into the F50, where Saad and his mates will mop up, spread like *, and give Tippa space to run into to kick his 6th.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I see the flaw in this plan......

What will likely happen is we will win a sh*t clearance, the ball will move scrappily to another contest where it will then be bombed into the F50, where Saad and his mates will mop up, spread like fu**, and give Tippa space to run into to kick his 6th.

It’s possible yes but with the 6-6-6 rule centre clearances are a genuine weapon for sides to score from and despite plenty of our big names being back there Essendon haven’t scored from their back half that well this year.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s possible yes but with the 6-6-6 rule centre clearances are a genuine weapon for sides to score from and despite plenty of our big names being back there Essendon haven’t scored from their back half that well this year.
Don't worry. They will have plenty of time to set up, and plenty of space to run into this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Zac Dawson a journeyman? The other is a given....
I was thinking Shaun McKernan.

After he pulls off his annual Kerridge against us, we will probably recruit him.

3 clubs would definitely make him a journeyman. The other is a given.
Do you guys know what “Journeyman” means?

Hint, it’s not a man that goes on a journey.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
What's the go with Kobe Mutch? Injuries or limitations playing the bigger part?

Injuries are a big factor. The poor bloke can’t get a good run at it but realistically he doesn’t have any weapons that will make him a damaging AFL player.

Feel like Trent Dumont is a good comparison for him. The sort of guy who’s capable but you don’t really want getting a game if you had a top line midfield. I may be being a little harsh on Dumont.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that. I thought our forward line resembled an airport transit lounge in these covid-19 times.

BTRAIN2

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I dont agree with the Marley dropping either, but I do think that Hadyen will play on Tippa, and while being tested, I think it will be good for his development. LMac is another who could go back, but I like the idea of playing him through the guts!

I dont think Campbell is a good choice either for 2 reasons: Slippery conditions & he is not our future.
He might make those just expecting games like Durdin and Mckay to pull their finger out of their rear though. He deserves a crack, at least he will put in 100% and provide a presence

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree Campbell deserves his chance he has been dedicated to the club since he arrived... let's see if he grabs it as may only have the one week

My issue is that while I agree that we need marking power, I don't know why we didn't promote Durdin or Mc Kay as we know that Campbell will never be a 22 games a year contributor, we just think the other two might be in that group. We need to know, but Maj is back next week (bloody hope so) and Larkey a week or two after that and then we lose the opportunity.

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My issue is that while I agree that we need marking power, I don't know why we didn't promote Durdin or Mc Kay as we know that Campbell will never be a 22 games a year contributor, we just think the other two might be in that group. We need to know, but Maj is back next week (bloody hope so) and Larkey a week or two after that and then we lose the opportunity.

I think it's purely because it is a one week stop gap til daw and larkey avail.... prob would go to durds or McKay if a longer term prop but not worth the experiment for one week

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Injuries are a big factor. The poor bloke can’t get a good run at it but realistically he doesn’t have any weapons that will make him a damaging AFL player.

Feel like Trent Dumont is a good comparison for him. The sort of guy who’s capable but you don’t really want getting a game if you had a top line midfield. I may be being a little harsh on Dumont.

Yes tad harsh on froggy... since moving to the wing he has been one of our more consistent performers week in week out... and his distribution has improved or is it that there are worse than him that his looks ok!

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Dumont has turned himself into a topline runner and is very defensively dedicated. I basically think of him as being a poor man's Mitch Robinson as that defensive winger. Dumont doesn't impose himself onto the game or hit the scoreboard as much but like him could be a quality part of a functioning machine. Difference is Robinson is surrounded by better quality players. Dumont is one of many limited footballers in the North side.

Rob in Cologne

Bring back LT
Jan 27, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Changes thread off the back of 3 straight losses is never going to be all rainbows and soothing back-rubs, H, but some folks around here could definitely do with reining it in a tad. Particularly the ones saying the season is shot already. We win the next couple and we're right back in it. In case people hadn't noticed, we're not the only ones struggling with consistency in this (most ****ed up) season. Hope springs eternal, you sad sacks.

But yeah, Changes threads can tend to highlight the disconnect between supporter expectation and assumption, and footy club reality. Both when it comes to the logic behind the team that's selected, and those who have been left out. Strange that you have to keep reminding some posters of this, but there's a metric shitload of stuff that goes on at a footy club in any given week that most of us just aren't privy to. I'm not saying that people shouldn't air their theories on selection - that's why we're all here - but using assumption as a premise to player bash or lose your sh*t is pretty ****ing weird IMO.

Be useful if some posters tried a bit harder to understand the rationale behind selection, or failing that simply admit their confusion, rather than just defaulting straight to anger and using their own assumptions as a basis to automatically attribute incompetence to Shaw and co. Give the bloke a chance.

While I most definitely advocate a run of bad form being grounds for omission, I see our current issues to be a little more structural and systemic in nature. A case of the collective not functioning properly, rather than some below-par individuals bringing the whole thing undone. (Insert US police force joke here.) Not sure whether that's on the money, but it certainly helps in not getting too overwrought about the current selections being made.

Either way, it's Friday now so shirley it's time to put the 'woe is us' hand-wringing to one side and chuck the game faces on. Time to turn our disgust outward rather than inward. Time to find unity in our mutual, DNA-hardwired hatred for *. Time to pray to the Shinboner Gods that we beat these scumbags.

Dream scenario would be an easy win, with either Atley, Hall, or JMac best on ground. You won't be able to move around here for bumped posts.

TOD, very well said. Everybody needs a timely reminder now and then. Nothing wrong with that. Just like a bit of 'thinking time', usually helps us say something better than out first reaction brain fart.

As passionate North fans we are allowed opinions, but there are heaps of unknown, unknowns for us.
For example:
* We'd love Will Walker back but how is his knee?
* Maj is a walking accident waiting to happen (fingers crossed). Rhyce has got a better idea then us.
* Durdin, McKay, Murphy, Hosie and others - we haven't seen stats from scratch matches ... we got no idea how they travelling aside from some brief comments by Brownie.
* Any posters been to a game this year? Reckon Rhyce has a better view than we have on the box.

I want the wheel to turn too. But I have to accept Rhyce, Brady, Crocks, Heath and the rest have got exceptional footy IQ. A few AFL premiership medals amongst them.
Let's do the scum this week!

TOD, very well said. Everybody needs a timely reminder now and then. Nothing wrong with that. Just like a bit of 'thinking time', usually helps us say something better than out first reaction brain fart.

As passionate North fans we are allowed opinions, but there are heaps of unknown, unknowns for us.
For example:
* We'd love Will Walker back but how is his knee?
* Maj is a walking accident waiting to happen (fingers crossed). Rhyce has got a better idea then us.
* Durdin, McKay, Murphy, Hosie and others - we haven't seen stats from scratch matches ... we got no idea how they travelling aside from some brief comments by Brownie.
* Any posters been to a game this year? Reckon Rhyce has a better view than we have on the box.

I want the wheel to turn too. But I have to accept Rhyce, Brady, Crocks, Heath and the rest have got exceptional footy IQ. A few AFL premiership medals amongst them.
Let's do the scum this week!
The unknowns are frustrating no doubt, we have no true visibility of the scratch matches to understand why is eg) Hosie not being given a go etc

but what is equally frustrating is the knowns
There is no reason macmillan should be in over Marley, our worst defender kept in over our best lockdown defender. Ludicrous

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maybe. But we wouldn't need a massive pack-crashing player if we could just use the ball going forward and lower our eyes when going inside 50.

You don’t feel we are struggling aerially all over the ground? Goldy, Tarrant and Walker are regularly clunking them. That’s it.

I’m not huge on Campbell but Wood barely took a mark when he played this year. Then dogs slaughtered us in the air early last week and then broke the game open with run and feasting on our horrible ball use. We need another big bloke urgently for structure. Campbell is a “break glass in emergency” option, but unlike most on here I would hope the coach hasn’t given up on our season yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back