Preview Changes and prematch discussion vs *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, since you want the explanation for a 4 year old.......

Cunnington = slow, can't pass the ball, can't defend.

Atley & Hall = very fast.

One is set in his way can is not a realistic proposition to be able to morph into a secondary role, the other 2 have potentials and have been doing mostly secondary roles where they should be in the thick of the action. A lot of people are critical of atley and hall because they got this and that issue, well if you put them in roles that require a lot of thinking, planning then they won't flourish. Put them right in the middle, let them run through the gut take on the opposition, at least for once we get the opposition to defend us, defend players who actually got great speed. Atley and hall needs to be forced to be instinctive players and also from a mental strategy side, take away their safety net of resting in the back and forward respective. Put them in situations where they have to consistent fight. Give them 6 weeks, if abject failure, then they are gone as we need to use the last 6 weeks to plan for the future. More often than not, great acheivement can happen when you take away the escape route. At north, we have always been too comfortable, too stagnant.
Yes, we would be better off shipping off the bloke who got 32 contested possessions in a single ******* game and carries the inside midfield week in week out, than shipping off the other two spuds who have shown * all in their times at the club. I want whatever you're on mate.

Being slow and having little leap is just about the only thing you can say Cunnington does poorly.

Which are the fundamentals of why people think he's 'not fit for the AFL today', because its all about athleticism in the realm of speed & endurance when the sport used to be about everything else as the most important qualities to have. Now people would rather have ball butchers, but boy can they run fast and run a long way so they must be worth keeping, right?

That's not Cunnington's problem, he can function in the AFL despite all that and does so well at an ELITE level, it's the AFL's problem. Its the game's problem itself.

I really don't want to live in a world where a player like Cunnington can't exist, and by association, every player of the past cannot exist. It ceases to become the sport of the everyman and just becomes the sport of the Olympic man. Sports science is a diluted mess.

No one deserve to exist if they don't bring anything useful and relevant to the table. Cunnington would even be a great player if he played through the 80 and 90s but today the game has moved in a way that we don't need him no more. Cunnington is a B- inside mid at best, the best inside mids today are the likes of Cotchin, who was once a laughing stock on North board but guess what his style is in fashion and for the next few years.

Yes, we would be better off shipping off the bloke who got 32 contested possessions in a single ******* game and carries the inside midfield week in week out, than shipping off the other two spuds who have shown fu** all in their times at the club. I want whatever you're on mate.

Okay, how many effective disposals? Sure, you can get the ball 50 times, but did you do anything useful with the ball? Evidently from what i have seen of cunnington, apart from his physical strength, he hasn't really got any other strings to the bow. He can't run relative to the industry standard, hence no defensive ability. He hasn't gone forward to kick goals because he can't play this small marking forward role as he is not fast enough. His kicking skills are poor hence even then he has the ball, he can't deliver it with elite efficiency.

The good thing is that he is injured along with Higgin, this is perfect because we now can actually assemble an interim center square in Atley, Hall, Simpkin so that there is at least leg power and explosiveness and we work from there. This also gives enough time for cunnington to recover properly, i.e. 6 weeks so we get an extened period without the players who we traditionally rely on but perhaps are not as dependable as we think. Of course, if the experiment fails then it's bye bye Atley and Hall. Cunnington should not be automatic return because we need to shape the team that is relevant to the pace of the modern, if cunnington can work his way to fit in the team then it's fantastic otherwise, he is sacrifice that is needed for progress.

This is the perfect time to loose up a little, time to be a bit less north melbourne, time to add some flairs and attacking run. Sure we keep the critical experienced heads like Higgins, Goldstein, Tarrant but apart from these 3, the rest of the experienced players (i.e. 100+ gamers) need to be on notice because they should be in their primes but delivering their A game. Our biggest rot comes at the center square in that if you have ziebell and cunnington there, we are instantly 2 players down when defending.

Cunnington is not the issue. I agree re the comments on Aaron Hall though. He plays at his best when he is inside the contest. On the outside he just seems a bit lost, and kinda just potters around. He needs to be a "see ball and get ball" type player to utilise his talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, how many effective disposals? Sure, you can get the ball 50 times, but did you do anything useful with the ball? Evidently from what i have seen of cunnington, apart from his physical strength, he hasn't really got any other strings to the bow. He can't run relative to the industry standard, hence no defensive ability. He hasn't gone forward to kick goals because he can't play this small marking forward role as he is not fast enough. His kicking skills are poor hence even then he has the ball, he can't deliver it with elite efficiency.

The good thing is that he is injured along with Higgin, this is perfect because we now can actually assemble an interim center square in Atley, Hall, Simpkin so that there is at least leg power and explosiveness and we work from there. This also gives enough time for cunnington to recover properly, i.e. 6 weeks so we get an extened period without the players who we traditionally rely on but perhaps are not as dependable as we think. Of course, if the experiment fails then it's bye bye Atley and Hall. Cunnington should not be automatic return because we need to shape the team that is relevant to the pace of the modern, if cunnington can work his way to fit in the team then it's fantastic otherwise, he is sacrifice that is needed for progress.

This is the perfect time to loose up a little, time to be a bit less north melbourne, time to add some flairs and attacking run. Sure we keep the critical experienced heads like Higgins, Goldstein, Tarrant but apart from these 3, the rest of the experienced players (i.e. 100+ gamers) need to be on notice because they should be in their primes but delivering their A game. Our biggest rot comes at the center square in that if you have ziebell and cunnington there, we are instantly 2 players down when defending.
I needed a good laugh today mate. Thanks.

Cunnington is not the issue. I agree re the comments on Aaron Hall though. He plays at his best when he is inside the contest. On the outside he just seems a bit lost, and kinda just potters around. He needs to be a "see ball and get ball" type player to utilise his talent.

The only thing keeping Hall on the field is the fence

No one deserve to exist if they don't bring anything useful and relevant to the table. Cunnington would even be a great player if he played through the 80 and 90s but today the game has moved in a way that we don't need him no more. Cunnington is a B- inside mid at best, the best inside mids today are the likes of Cotchin, who was once a laughing stock on North board but guess what his style is in fashion and for the next few years.

I really can't reconcile with that assertion, I think its inherently a contradiction to the better aspects of the game, and there's a reason nobody enjoys it as much these days, even 10 years ago it was better.

The 'fashion' is wrong. It's just fundamentally wrong, and like I said that's nobody else's fault but the AFL's.

I really can't reconcile with that assertion, I think its inherently a contradiction to the better aspects of the game, and there's a reason nobody enjoys it as much these days, even 10 years ago it was better.

The 'fashion' is wrong. It's just fundamentally wrong, and like I said that's nobody else's fault but the AFL's.
It's a Richmond troll

Didn’t Cunnington get the record for most contested possessions in a game like 2 years ago and win a best and fairest 9 or so months ago?

You need to watch Ben a bit more closely. He is one of the most creative inside mids in the game and if anyone has a better handball, I'd like to see it. He sets other mids free into space.

Your assertion that big, strong mids don't have a place in the modern game is equally wrong. Cripps, Fyfe, Oliver, Cunners. All guns. This is not debatable.

Nothing is fundamentally as it should be, there is nothing wrong with the game, it's people's mindset that is still set in the past and because of that, we are still a mediocre team. Take the shinboner's spirit for instance, that's precisely the reason why we are a middle of the table as we do just enough to not bottom out but then again we don't get the top picks we need to truly build a good list. 2020 is the lost season, we won't win the flag or get anywhere near the finals so why not strategically build a solid foundation and add the top picks in this year's draft. In the engine room, we got simpkin, ldu, thomas, bailey and then you add 2 more top 5 picks, it is a very strong team. Keyposition backs we have servicable durdin and mackay if these are no good, there are plenty of free agents we can pick up. Josh Walker is a no name player who has been colossal in defense and came from rather obscure origins. We got a good young power forward in larkey who will be a strong focal point in attack for the next decade.

Didn’t Cunnington get the record for most contested possessions in a game like 2 years ago and win a best and fairest 9 or so months ago?

Best and fairest is only at north melbourne...............contested possesion is not the gamebreaker it sounds out to be, it's the disposal effectiveness that really counts....

You need to watch Ben a bit more closely. He is one of the most creative inside mids in the game and if anyone has a better handball, I'd like to see it. He sets other mids free into space.

Your assertion that big, strong mids don't have a place in the modern game is equally wrong. Cripps, Fyfe, Oliver, Cunners. All guns. This is not debatable.

Errrr the point you did not mention is that these players mentioned bar Cunnington are all explosive fast paced mids who can cover the ground very quickly. Cunnington is a liability when the opposition has the ball, the other guys you have mentioned are much more effective in defensive situations.

Wonder what our centre square line ups will be next weekend w/o Cunners, Higgo and Jack. Can anyone suggest some combos that get their hands on the ball, use it and run two ways? *'s mids aren't very big bodied so may be a chance to run some of our younger guys through there w/o them getting smashed?
I still reckon run Hayden through the middle, good 2 way runner, strong and looking fit

To understand what a shitshow 2020 has been we’ve had:
Majak - Pec - Missed 2 years for his fall
Marley - Suspended
Higgins - Medial strain
Jacobs - Sinus - Missed 2 years
Garner - Hamstring - Missed 4 full years
Ziebell - Calf, medial and hammy
Scott - Foot from 2019 - Missed whole year
LDU - OP - Missed all of 2020
Cunnington - Back
Ahern - Hammy
Larkey - Foot - Missed most of 2020
Tyson - Calf
Walker - PCL - Missed 2 years
Turner - Foot
Comben - Back
EVW - Knee - Missed 2 years
Hayden - Achilles
Perez - Knee

That is an atrocious record. We’re talking 40% of the list here but just recently we had 13 players unavailable for selection. At what point does having a quarter of the list ruled out ring alarm bells? This has been going on for several seasons now. It can’t just be sh*t luck.
To be fair, most clubs are taking in the injuries at the moment, this season has been a nightmare for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back